collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Funko Pops - who else is done with them?  (Read 8419 times)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Funko Pops - who else is done with them?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 12:25:58 AM »
I have a smallish collection and still love them!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 03:07:04 AM »
I have a smallish collection and still love them!

Considering how many Pops are already out there, "smallish" could mean 100 :lol:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 01:18:03 AM »
Marketing is one of my (kinda weird) interests so, while I don't like the look of Funkos with those giant heads and the soulless eyes, I have to commend the company for being absolute geniuses in the marketing department. Whoever thought up the idea of Funkos stumbled on a real winner!

1. For a long time, being a "collector" usually meant you had to be prepared to spend a lot of money for a single figure. Fan merchandise was seen as something only nerds and geeks spent money on. In other words, a very niche market (which drove the price up). Funko figured out how to mass produce a product that gives ALL people the chance to be a "collector," scratching that itch of chasing down all the figures of something you like (and the 'chase' figures too LOL). I've seen a lot of young kids buying Funkos. The average price is $10 each. Compared to other fan merchandise (and other kids toys), this is actually super affordable. Funko took a niche market and made it accessible to anyone who wants to identify as a collector.

2. The company developed a way to create a really unique brand that can't be easily copied and stands out among all the other merchandise on the shelves. You could show a Funko Pop to just about anyone and the proportions would allow that person to immediately identify it as a Funko, no matter what character it is, human or not. And if any other company tries to make a big headed, big eyed figure, they would be accused of copying Funko Pops. That's good branding!

3. One of the best ways for a company to flourish is to be able to identify an empty space in the market and fill it. Funko realized their are fans of things that don't have any merchandise, and realized people want to show off their love of various things, so Funko jumped in to fill that space and they did it super successfully. There's so many weird Funkos out there. Not just cartoons and video games and movies. Musical bands have Funkos! NASCAR drivers have Funkos! Bob Ross has a Funko. Edgar Allen Poe has a Funko! There are Funkos of the Presidents of the USA for crying out loud. And my personal favorite: There's a Funko of Bluto from the 80's comedy 'Animal House', even though there's no other characters (because he's the only one anyone remembers from that movie if they remember it at all LOL).

So remember, there's a lot we can learn from the Funko company if you want to be successful in this cutthroat world.
1. Identify a narrow spot in the world that you could bring more people into
2. be unique so you stand out
3. give people a way to show the world what they love

The bookstore where I work has two giant floor-to-ceiling shelving areas full of Funkos. So, so many! We routinely have too many and so the company will have a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" week to get stock out of the store. This allows people to stock up, and man does it work! lol. It's happening right now, in fact. I usually sell dozens of Funkos to people each day.

(Personally, I own two Funkos, despite not liking the Funko design LOL: Rainbow Dash and one Gargoyle from the 90's cartoon. Like other people have said, I too saw a Funko and was like "Oh I loved that cartoon as a kid and I've never seen any merchandise for it, so I should buy this." And it worked! XD )
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 10:31:53 AM »
I haaave... Gargoyles, Steven Universe, TTG!, and The Shape of Water POPs. Probably around 20 in all?

Anyway, I find them fascinating for the same reasons just mentioned by Dragonflitter. I love studying the different marketing techniques and business strategies that go into selling a toy line. Funko was always built to be a successful industry, and I really admire the strategy that went into their development.

So basically, I’ll buy POPs if it’s something I love. My feelings about them haven’t really changed since they were first released.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 04:48:54 PM »
@Nemesis- Aw thank you so much for replying! I always thought my fascination with marketing was really weird.... I'm glad I'm not the only one out there that thinks like I do! You made me feel like less of a weirdo today.   :lovey:

Post Merge: September 04, 2020, 04:54:08 PM

Edit to add: Today a family came through my check-out line with FOURTY Funko Pops in their cart.  :drunk: It took me forever to ring them all up!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 04:54:08 PM by Dragonflitter »

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 09:05:03 PM »
@Nemesis- Aw thank you so much for replying! I always thought my fascination with marketing was really weird.... I'm glad I'm not the only one out there that thinks like I do! You made me feel like less of a weirdo today.   :lovey:

Post Merge: September 04, 2020, 04:54:08 PM

Edit to add: Today a family came through my check-out line with FOURTY Funko Pops in their cart.  :drunk: It took me forever to ring them all up!

Haha, usually I feel like I’M the weirdo for being fascinated by marketing and whatnot. XD So you have also made ME feel like less of an oddball, lol.

And WHOA. :shocked: Did Christmas come early for that family, or what? XD
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 05:30:40 AM »

So remember, there's a lot we can learn from the Funko company if you want to be successful in this cutthroat world.
1. Identify a narrow spot in the world that you could bring more people into
2. be unique so you stand out
3. give people a way to show the world what they love

Marketing is interesting but popular toy companies are not exactly good role models to apply to your regular citizen life. Small, regional businesses that manage to stay steady are way better to learn from.

Identifying a core group to market to is also essential for anyone who wants to go selfmade. Funko didn't come up with that model. Funko admit themselves that the buying of licences is what made them blow up because the marketing for these are already done by their respective owners/franchises. Funko saves big time on advertising strategy because the characters don't belong to them (and because they don't produce in their own country).

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 06:12:11 AM »
Yes, exactly! That's the genius of it! They don't need to own every copyright or come up with an equivalent to every popular character in every franchise, instead they just developed a way to bring those franchises that already exist to the people that want to enjoy them! Very smart.

While of course I don't condone the way mega-corporations take advantage of a large portion of our working-class society, you have to admire the genius to take what already exists and find a way to bring it to the people, and I think my points still stand as good ways to be successful. :)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
I hate Pops.  That being said, I have two.  But I hate the stupid black eyes, so I painted mine.  I got the two characters from the Angry Beavers cartoon show.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2020, 12:39:17 PM »
Yes, exactly! That's the genius of it! They don't need to own every copyright or come up with an equivalent to every popular character in every franchise, instead they just developed a way to bring those franchises that already exist to the people that want to enjoy them! Very smart.

While of course I don't condone the way mega-corporations take advantage of a large portion of our working-class society, you have to admire the genius to take what already exists and find a way to bring it to the people, and I think my points still stand as good ways to be successful. :)

And while Funko is huge now, they started as a small niche company.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
I hate Pops.  That being said, I have two.  But I hate the stupid black eyes, so I painted mine.  I got the two characters from the Angry Beavers cartoon show.
Me too. Those eyes are a deal-breaker. I only have some small pony ones because of discount sales and because it isn't as weird on the ponies as it is on humans. On humans, it's just too strange

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2020, 02:04:16 PM »
I have never understood the appeal of them to begin with. I have never even had a remote thought of wanting one.

|My Collection|

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 03:08:55 PM »

And while Funko is huge now, they started as a small niche company.

So true! On an honest level, doesn’t every small company dream of becoming a big one? From a business perspective, I’d much rather continue to expand in scope and profit than maintain steady figures (though obviously steady is better than sinking).

Business has always interested me... It’s fascinating to watch companies rise from obscurity (I remember buying from Amazon when all they sold were books, lol) to dominate the playing field. Funko managed something pretty impressive, especially in today’s highly competitive market.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:10:45 PM by Nemesis »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2020, 06:44:32 AM »
Excellent post, Dragonflitter!! Love or hate POPs, you have to admit Funko have struck gold here. I do love how there's something for everyone.

ooh, I wanna see photos!! I love seeing repainted POPs, they always look so much better with proper eyes.

I love the Angry Beavers, I wish they'd made Treeflower though.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2020, 09:11:17 AM »
I hate Pops.  That being said, I have two.

I feel like this sums up the entirely of the Pops existence. XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal