collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony collector statues?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Pony collector statues?
« on: May 09, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »
While I know that a few pony fans don’t really consider anything besides the brushables ponies to be worth collecting, or even classified as “collectibles”, there are some other fans who do. Today, I want to discuss the statue-esquire figures of MLP that may appeal to the older audiences. There are quite a few that even date back to g1- possibly the most famous (That I can think of, anyway) is the porcelain pony figure of First Born. This continued through the gens, even up to g4, with the full sized Vinyl FUNKO Figures, but most notably, the “Guardians of Harmony” fanseries, and then Kotobukiya seemed to come in most recently, and one-up them in the detail and wow-ness factor!

Now with all that being said, I have been following a YouTube channel where a guy reviews stupidly detailed statues from a company called “Moon Shadow Studios”, and I must say- they are exquisite! They really look like they give Kotobukiya’s EQUESTRIA GIRLS statues a run for their money. So I was wondering- would pony collectors who think these non-brushables pony statues are worth acquiring be interested in getting something of the pony end from this Moon Shadow Studio brand?

What are your thoughts on non-brushables pony collectibles, or the potential of getting something pony from MSS?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 03:51:59 PM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
Re: Pony collector statues?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
Looking at them, I'm definitely not going to pay 500+ for anything that just sits there. But that's just me.

I love the Kotobukiya ones though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 04:42:50 PM »
To me there is much more to collecting MLP than just the brushables, in fact, my wish list includes such items as the UK picture disc or the RatMC viewmaster, among others. As for the statues, there are some of those from the G1 porcelain collection that I hope to own one day, especially the wedding prance.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 06:32:49 PM »
No thanks. Its not that I don't consider them collectables, but anyone as clumsy as me should not be around them. They're very pretty.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 09:11:23 PM »
Is this hypothetical, because I don't see this?

Moonshadow makes unlicensed pokemon figures, right? I don't really know if they are just a small garage kit operation, or a factory? It would make a difference to me. That said, really they don't have the cute aesthetic I like and prefer to see in what I collect.

I prefer the Kotobukiya. Not for the pony counterparts, but I think they are so cute. I don't think I'll add them into my collection since I don't think fit in to what I have left. Ask me 10 years ago, and I would of pre-ordered every single one.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 09:31:23 PM »

Moonshadow makes unlicensed pokemon figures, right? I don't really know if they are just a small garage kit operation, or a factory? It would make a difference to me. That said, really they don't have the cute aesthetic I like and prefer to see in what I collect.

I prefer the Kotobukiya. Not for the pony counterparts, but I think they are so cute. I don't think I'll add them into my collection since I don't think fit in to what I have left. Ask me 10 years ago, and I would of pre-ordered every single one.
to my very minimum knowledge.....
I realize that Tsume and Surge Studio also make incredibly detailed and amazing (anime) figures, what what I have seen on BAM Collectibles’ channel. So I guess the question in the op can also apply to these companies hypothetically making pony statues.

Could you see pony characters in g1 being given statues, now that g4 has concluded? What would the character or requirements be to allow you to collect them, to fit among what collection you have?

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 11:03:18 PM »
I really love anything with the ponies, and I have many figurines.  That being said, the Hamilton figures failed as a line because of two major things that intertwined for bad sales.  The first was the sculpt on them.  Collectors that may have been willing to buy them at the time were ridiculing them.  Comments such as ‘Firefly looks pregnant’ abounded.  The second is that most pony collectors were not into merchandise at the time.  It is only in recent times that a fever has taken up interest in merchandise beyond the toys.  Anything truly breakable is still not of wide interest.  Combining Snowbabies and ponies was not a great mix, because Snowbabies is a rather small niche collectible... at least near where I live. If a line of figurines were to be created, the best route of success would truly be if they were nicely detailed ceramic or porcelain, roughly the size of the porcelain figures, and made in a $10-20 range.  I can see music boxes, picture frame holder, a trinket box and single figures being very popular.  Put an old favorite like Firefly, Medley of Applejack on a Dream Valley-esque frame, or a box to contain jewelry and add the theme music.  Single little porcelain or ceramic figures would also likely be of wide interest.  Take for example, an addition to the original porcelain collection of Diamond Dreams, Blueberry Baskets or So-soft Twilight.  Much of the success would depend on the choice of character.  I would steer clear of the typical $40-$50 anime bust size that is popular to display in the comic shops.  There aren’t enough collectors to make those of true interest to a retailer.  Kotobukiya figures are okay in that they have a wider base of interest outside the US and they also appeal to the anime niche.  Even with those, the secondhand prices are dropping a lot already.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 11:05:30 PM by Sugarberry »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 05:50:22 AM »

to my very minimum knowledge.....
I realize that Tsume and Surge Studio also make incredibly detailed and amazing (anime) figures, what what I have seen on BAM Collectibles’ channel. So I guess the question in the op can also apply to these companies hypothetically making pony statues.

Could you see pony characters in g1 being given statues, now that g4 has concluded? What would the character or requirements be to allow you to collect them, to fit among what collection you have?

If it was G1, then I think the movie could be referenced for some dynamic scenes, which appears to be what you are referencing. I think that could appeal to the old school collectors. It really needs to be something more then a pony standing there, because that's what the toys do. It could also be a hybrid style of the movie + the toy because the toys are fairly stiff.

But in reality, this community wouldn't want to pay what resin kits cost.

For me, I'm all about kawaii, and that's not something seen really often in resin kits. Like put a kawaii version of fizzy on top of an icecream cone with lots of pastel stars and moon and I'm sold. XD (and fizzy isn't even a favorite character of mine, lol).
Nothing I can think of would lend its self better to being resin then plastic with my tastes. In fact, I prefer plastic. (I've owned resin kits in the past).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:55:15 AM by banditpony »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 08:28:30 AM »
Nope.  I have a 3d printer now.  If I wanted to print figurines, I totally could.  But I have so many in our house already.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »
Nope.  I have a 3d printer now.  If I wanted to print figurines, I totally could.  But I have so many in our house already.
so jealous, squirmy! I have always wanted one, and been curious whether actual Takaras could be 3D printed, if the collector fandom really wanted to.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 11:30:10 AM »
I guess I'd like to see some more vinyl figures, sorta like the Loyal Subjects, but without the joints (they kept falling out) and more in the vein of the SDCC Majesty. It'd be cool to see TokiDoki pick up the pony lisence.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 12:17:44 PM »
I'm a fan of other merchandise than just the actual brushables, for sure. However I'm not into very intricate figurines or scenes. That's just not my cup of tea, as I love the simplicity of early Mlp. So figurines like MSS aren't of interest to me personally, they sure are well made and cool to look at in pictures though!

Offline chichiri_chan

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
I absolutely adore MoonShadow Studio's Pokémon line, but simply can't afford them! I imagine it would be the same with the ponies... I personally have absolutely nothing against figurines, but do have a set price limit on them. I think the dynamic poses can be a lot of fun, especially if presented in a diorama-like setting as seen in the figurines made by Tsume and MoonShadow Studio.

Some of these studios, like Tsume, actually obtain copyright permission. I'm not sure if that's the case with MoonShadow or not, though...

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »
so jealous, squirmy! I have always wanted one, and been curious whether actual Takaras could be 3D printed, if the collector fandom really wanted to.

Yah, it's been done before. The one person I know of that used to sell them on etsy did an amazing job. I don't think there was much interest in them, despite being high quality and spot on for detail.

I guess I'd like to see some more vinyl figures, sorta like the Loyal Subjects, but without the joints (they kept falling out) and more in the vein of the SDCC Majesty. It'd be cool to see TokiDoki pick up the pony license.
;_; ah. tokidoki x mlp *melt*

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 03:46:41 PM »
I like pony figures and merch, I have some loyal subjects figures (I'd like to have more vinyl G1 figures that are cuter) the g1 mashems, I also buy a lot of fan made merch like minitures, keychains, figures etc

I personally am not into the bishojo figures because while I have a collection of anime girl figures that's too weeby for me. Ponies are ponies not Moe anime babes to me. I get why they did it there's a large section of bronies that are weebs (and some of us collectors are but not to that scale I mean)

So I think there may be some fundamental differences in what appeals to brony and collectors for figures but I think both enjoy them

And I agree I would love to see Tokidoki x G1 MLP

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal