collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone own a Smart TV? Need Tips and Advice New Question  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Anyone own a Smart TV? Need Tips and Advice New Question
« on: May 07, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »
Hi,

My family just bought our first Smart TV. I set it up and connected it to my secure Internet connection but didn't try to use any of the streaming features.  I've been reading some things that Smart TVs can be hacked. What should I do to make sure the Smart TV is secure? 

Is it safe to stream stuff like Netflix through the TV?

Please share any tips you have about Smart TVs.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:57:02 AM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Anyone own a Smart TV? Need Tips and Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 08:10:26 PM »
We have a Smart TV that has not been hacked to my knowledge. It should be safe to stream Netflix, or at least no less safe than any other app.
Some would suggest setting up your TV on a separate network, so as to protect other devices connected to your home network.
It doesn't sound like there's a whole lot of other things you can do, but if you don't plan on using streaming services a ton, it might be worth it to disconnect it from the Wifi while you're using it as a normal TV.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 11:59:16 PM »
I have a smart tv but use it as a regular for tv watching because I have a media box from my provider. Thats connected with cables into the wall. So no internet connection needed at all.
I don't have Netflix but I know there is a channel for it with and all you have to do is login with your account.
The only negative about smart tv's I heard is that the featured apps could become out of date and it would be a pain to get an update.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 07:26:29 AM »
I don't really have any advice on hacking. I found this link with some advice
https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/smart-tv-security-tips

Once I was able to get faster internet at home I was able to setup netflix and other stuff. We already had the TV and it was pretty simple you just download the app if it's not there.

My dad also bought me a newer smart tv for my office here at work so I'm also able to do things like youtube. The cats now watch birds on youtube (my pets stay at my business).

With faster internet at home I'm also able to download things for my video game consoles. So it makes getting updates or other fun stuff easier for those kind of things.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 07:37:50 AM »
Thanks everyone. I still have a lot to learn.  I was basically told “ We’re getting a Smart TV. You set up everything.” Right now I have it set up to watch tv through the cable box. If I want to stream Netflix or other apps do I need to switch to wireless mode first or just go through the home button? It’s a Samsung TV.

Ponyfan

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 07:39:30 AM »
We have one. I held out for a while but it's hard to find a tv that isn't "smart" these days. streaming services should be ok. its really not too different from a computer or smart phone security wise. if your internet connection is secured you should be pretty safe.

There was a hacking attack a few years back where a youtube video was played on people's smart tvs. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xwj993/hackers-accessed-smart-tvs-to-play-pewdiepie-propaganda-videos. And the NSA was supposedly spying on people through smart tv microphones. i'm not sure if that's still a thing. I'm also not sure if the microphone can be disabled.

you can disconnect the smart tv from the internet if you don't need to use it for streaming. We connect ours to a separate apple tv for streaming services. anything connected to the internet can potentially be hacked. so if you don't need to connect it don't. but its pretty unavoidable now since so many appliances and even cars connect to the internet.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 11:06:53 AM »
Thanks everyone. I still have a lot to learn.  I was basically told “ We’re getting a Smart TV. You set up everything.” Right now I have it set up to watch tv through the cable box. If I want to stream Netflix or other apps do I need to switch to wireless mode first or just go through the home button? It’s a Samsung TV.

Ponyfan

I'm not sure how different the Samsung is from the LG and I can't quite remember. Mine is through wifi. So if you're doing it through wifi you'll probably need to go into the TV settings first. There probably should be a settings button on your remote maybe? Then it'd probably be under general or something like that. Then you'd probably choose network or open network settings. Then you'd enter your networks password, etc.

I know that when I want to go to netflix I tap the home button and the app come up and I click on netflix or whatever other apps I have saved on that screen. I also have amazon prime so am able to watch that. Then I have youtube. There were already some apps loaded on the tv (like netflix) so you may not have to download the app for netflix/etc.

You'll need to setup your info so I don't know how different that is on your brand vs. mine. But it's pretty self explanatory and wasn't very hard. I mean, I could do it and I've gotten annoyingly bad at it the older I've gotten. You should have seen how spastic I was the first time I had to setup DirtTV (racing) on my IPAD and then TV cast from my Ipad to the TV with an app.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
Thanks everyone. I played around with the tv today and managed to get on Netflix. Watching  Netflix on such a large screen was amazing. :D It's really pretty simple once I figured out what I needed to do.

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
Re: Anyone own a Smart TV? Need Tips and Advice New Question
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »
The TV has 2 HDMI ports. I plugged the cable box in to HDMI 1. HDMI 2 is also an Arc port.  I will need to plug the Blu Ray player in to HDMI 2. Is that okay even though the Blu Ray player won't be Arc?

Ponyfan

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 10:16:50 PM »
I had one trying to get on our TV some months ago. Suddenly a small window appeared on the TV and it said that soandso is trying to get access, should I let them? and I could press yes or no. I pressed no. Ten minutes later I got the same thing so I turned off the TV and when I tried again some half an hour later they had stopped. Now, I'm not sure if it was a neighbour with a samsung TV that tried to set it up and somehow came to ours or if it was a true attempt, but it was a bit weird and it definitly got my pulse up. But since I was able to choose to allow them or not it felt rather safe still.

About the Blue Ray, it should be ok. For us it just means it turns on the soundbar when we turn on the TV without us having to do it manually. We can also use the TV remote to control the volume rather than the soundbars control. One less remote to deal with :). If you don't have ARC on the Blue Ray it should just connect to the HDMI and exclude the ARC.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 01:23:30 PM »
Thanks Beldarna. :D I got the Blu Ray player hooked up today. 

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal