collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: help needed safe cleaning musty vintage and BAB plushy's  (Read 877 times)

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
hi guys as i have all this time at home i pulled my old care bears collection out of storage and sadly discovered everything smells musty  :cry: i also stored my 3 ty G4 plushys  (which still have their tags on them) and my build-a-bear spike and a near mint Popple in the same box,  all my flurry cuddly toys are either new or near mint, what would be a safe way to clean with them all, would a popple be ok in the washing machine or a bab spike, carebears im frightened of washing as they have plastic eyes and the butt hears might wear of and the noses might get scuffed.

has anyone got any advise on what worked for them? without making them look worn. :D
maybe a singe gentle wash with vinegar or baking soda?

please and thank you guys :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: help needed safe cleaning musty vintage and BAB plushy's
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 06:52:13 PM »
I have put plushies on the wash before and they came out pretty good. I would add a few towels in the load. Whatever you do don’t put them in the dryer- just let them air dry. A pet slicker brush works well to fluff up the fur after they are dry.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 06:57:34 PM »
thanks hun :) i will have to track down that brush, i hate it when the plushy gets matted and clumpy.

wanted list
for trade

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 07:26:40 PM »
I recently washed most of my plush collection including dolls, MLP Softies, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite and a handful of random others.  They all came out well and safe.  The tags on the Care Bears actually say machine washable which is interesting. 

I washed them in king sized pillow cases or lingerie bags on gentle cycle with Woolite Gentle Cycle wash.  I then left them in the bags or pillow cases and dried them on very low heat for about 2-3 hours (timed dry).  They all came out well and just needed a fluff. 

The only thing I did not like is that the MLP Plushies hair got a little tangled because they were all rubbing against each other in the pillow cases but I just need to comb them out.  That and I also washed my childhood Pony Surprise and the color came off her hooves.  I am guessing that was from the dryer but not 100% sure.

I know many say not to put them in the dryer but if you have a newer dryer with a very low heat cycle you can use on timed dry, it seems to work well.  I just reran them 2-3 times per batch.  I also think a washer without a central agitator is better.   

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 09:39:29 PM »
thanks for the heads up :) i washed the popple and came out ok and another vintage plushys, care bear cloths and a tiny spike and they seem to be all good, i have a cheap dryer with one tempure but it was super sunny and windy today so dried well.

the ty's with tags and bab spike  i've left sitting in the sun, will give them a sniff later :lol:

still scared about the care bears though but pillow cases are a good idea

wanted list
for trade

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 10:25:49 PM »
In my honest opinion handwash them, its the safest way and you control what's going on. Never stick them in the dryer, it can damage heat sensitive parts of your plushies. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 03:37:15 AM by SpaceButtPonies »

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 01:45:40 AM »
If it's just a musty smell rather than actual dirt, airing them out works wonders. I had some Ty beanies that had acquired a musty smell through being in the attic, after a few weeks sitting out in my room they smell fine again. Just sit them out separately, not touching each other.

For washing, I always go for handwashing, as SpaceButtPonies says it's easier to keep an eye on them.

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »
great thank guys :) i will do that, i will try airing, 2 days later they aren't so stinky so here's hoping.

wanted list
for trade

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal