collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Parakeet  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Parakeet
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:20:54 PM »
When I pulled into my driveway this evening, I saw the strangest colored bird on the ground.  Bright green and yellow.  It was a parakeet!  Not native to my area.  It flew off into the woods.  A little later, I saw it fly into and land in the pasture with our goats.  My mom went out to it, and actually caught it BARE handed!  On the second attempt, cause on the first try as she was sneaking up to it, the goats charged up, curious to see what was going on, and they scared it.  But it just landed a few feet away and she caught it!
We're going to check around to see if she/he is lost, then figure out what to do with it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:58:30 PM by Gator »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Parakeet
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 06:13:38 PM »
Parakeets are really pretty. I saw one on a car in a parking lot once. It flew away by the time I came out of the building.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:56:27 PM »
Escaped pet. Parakeets are fast little buggers. Its a good thing it has you guys to take care of it till you hopefully find its owner.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:07:52 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:43:07 PM »
Oh my goodness!  Its amazing that she was able to capture it!  I hope you can find its owner. 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 08:45:12 PM »
I’m not a ornithologist, but I’m pretty sure parakeets don’t even live in the United States. The only parakeets I've observed are either pets or wild in Australia. It’s wonderful that you found it, since I don’t think it could have survived on its own for a long while, especially if it was willing to be caught bare handed by a big human. It probably does have a person to return to. Here’s hoping you find them. If you can’t...you might have a parakeet?
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 12:39:15 AM »
There are a whole community of green parakeets living wild in the UK now thanks to escaped pets. Especially down in the south east. I used to see them in the trees early in the morning if I was walking into town to catch the bus.

Ours are like this:
https://londonist.com/london/great-outdoors/london-s-parakeets-everything-you-need-to-know
Is that similar to what you saw? If so maybe the same has happened there? Or it got out during lockdown/was released and has ended up stray?

But it really sounds like a memo has gone out around your neighbourhood that stray birds in trouble are welcome ;) Maybe your chickens have been spreading the word!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 02:56:29 AM »
^ Yes, we have those too! :D In my area they are rare, but in the Randstad (Amsterdam, Utrecht) they are everywhere.

I know they can be nasty birds, but I still love them. :P

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 05:59:04 AM »
There are a whole community of green parakeets living wild in the UK now thanks to escaped pets. Especially down in the south east. I used to see them in the trees early in the morning if I was walking into town to catch the bus.

Ours are like this:
https://londonist.com/london/great-outdoors/london-s-parakeets-everything-you-need-to-know
Is that similar to what you saw? If so maybe the same has happened there? Or it got out during lockdown/was released and has ended up stray?

But it really sounds like a memo has gone out around your neighbourhood that stray birds in trouble are welcome ;) Maybe your chickens have been spreading the word!

The live up North too! There is a small flock that I often see (well, hear) flying around and they sometimes visit the feeder :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 07:03:11 AM »
Yes we definitely have those green birds over here. They can make a lot of noise.
But I think Gator found the smaller pet version. And they also come in different shades of green and yellow.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 07:57:24 AM »
Oh goodness well at least it knew where to go to be safe :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »

Ours are like this:

Loving the sense of humor in that article. :snicker:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »
Oh wow Taffeta, those are lot bigger than ours, but those are very pretty.  I think (but may be wrong) another name for the kind of parakeet we found is a "budgie"?

Here he/she is:

And... my mom is falling in love.  I think if we don't find her owner, she's got a new home. 

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
Yes, that's your standard issue parakeet or budgeriger aka budgie!  She's so cute  ^.^
They are native to Australia but kept commonly as pets for many years in other countries.  She looks like one I had as a kid!  Have you or your mom named her?
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »
Well, as a kid I had a parakeet this color named Henry.  I joking said this could be Henry Two, but I told mom since she caught her, and if she wants to keep her, she should name her.  Mom said Pretty Bird, and I said No, you can do better than that.  So its undecided at the moment.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 01:47:18 AM »
Oh wow, a proper budgie!

Very glad you caught it in that case, as if you don't have them wild it probably is domestic and you guys almost certainly saved it. I hope it wasn't a case of someone just releasing it because of the lockdown pressure. At least by coming to you guys it has a chance of either staying or finding a proper new home where it will be safe.

The last one of those I saw flying wild here met the neighbour's cat.

They are kept here as pets but I don't think we have a wild population. Our neighbour used to keep them (not at the same time as the cat...)

Yeah, the parakeets here are stunning. I never saw them in the midlands, but they're in the south east a lot. The thing is because they're green, it can be hard to spot them out unless you know they're there. But their call is quite distinctive and they are generally quite lovely imo.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal