collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's Design a Book Nook!  (Read 891 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Let's Design a Book Nook!
« on: May 04, 2020, 02:34:23 PM »
I've been riddled with anxiety lately, and distressed that I cannot read as much as I used to be able to. I noticed that, the second I lie on the floor, I'm overcome with the urge to read ... not sure why  :blink:

So, sudden thought; what about making an adult den/hideaway and making it a small space to enjoy books? I've got a corner in my bedroom that would work, and I have a double-bed sheet to use as a roof ... but what else inside?

Let's design a book nook! Give me ideas on how to structure the den, how to make the floor comfy (since 'cushions' are tricky in that they constantly move and my very fat body squishes them).
Limits:

1. I'm not claustrophobic but need a ventilation gap to let me breathe
2. I can use a tent if you have ideas in that area!
3. No cats or dogs or children to knock it over  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:56:00 PM by Lady Frostbite »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Design a Book Nook!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 04:10:06 PM »
Oooh this sounds so fun and cozy...I kind of want to do the same thing.  I've been trying to read more lately.  And who doesn't want to be cozy right now, eh?!

Instead of cushions, maybe something like a mattress topper?  Not sure if you want to buy anything new for this, but that would make the floor super cozy and it wouldn't shift around quite like cushions.  Or if you have a duvet cover or something like that, you could stuff it with just about anything and make a giant blob cushion.

Holding the roof up...hmm....you could go the rustic route and use some branches if you have branches around...or...you could actually suspend it from the ceiling!  That could be cool.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 04:13:45 PM »
I was thinking - and this sounds odd - of using a dog bed cushion type thing? It seems like the only real thing to use, or a child-sized mattress but that would be on the expensive side.

Suspending from the roof would be a bit unfeasible since the roof is VERY tall  :cry: But the branch idea sounds neat ...

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
A dog bed would work nicely, it probably just sounds odd because we're used to seeing them covered in fur.  :P If you put a blanket over it, it may not feel or look so strange.
Tents are fun but I find it sort of hard to breathe in, so you may want to stray away from that. I'm sure there are some that aren't as built for the outdoors and wouldn't be waterproof and therefore easier to breathe in.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Thimble

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 07:32:10 AM »
Lights! Even if you are lucky enough to have marvelous natural lighting, extra mood lighting is a major factor in the cosiness of a reading nook. If you add some fairy lights, or a small lamp with a warm-colored lightbulb, the area feels exponentially friendlier and more secure.  So when you're arranging things, remember to account for the plugs and where to put your light sources so that it wont be shining up your nose or become a fire hazard in a tent.

Also, if you have any, you can use some low shelves as 'walls', to give you a way to define the area without having to enclose the roof of it. Once you sit down, even a stubby 2- foot shelf is a pretty impressive bulwark against the world, lol. If it's still a bit short, you can always plop something on top to add to the illusion.  Those little 2 shelf bookshelves they sell for dormrooms are great for it. And since they aren't super high, they can double as a tabletop to rest your laptop or your teacup. And hold your books, of course!
If you don't have any free shelves, then a couple of cardboard boxes or plastic containers stacked strategically and neatly covered with a sheet or something to make them look nicer also works great. (Ahh, the beloved college loftbed days. When most of my furniture was suspiciously square. LOL.)

re:tent life....
I've made tent set-ups in a bunch of my old bedrooms, and the trick is in how much you're willing to modify the walls. The simplest permanent set-up is to put a couple hooks in the ceiling, hook cables up there that have sturdy clips attached to the loose end, and just clip your sheets in place. You toss the sheet edges over something, arrange the swag a bit and tada~~! However! Sheets are surprisingly heavy, especially if all the weight is on one hook, so the hook has to be very sturdy.  A little screw-in one will likely just pull right out of the drywall. If you can't reach the ceiling, you can do the same by rigging a sort of clothesline style wire across the area from either wall. Attach your clips so that they can be moved around, and you can reposition your tent to suit your mood. If it's very sturdy, it can also double as fairylight support.:)
Or just thumbtack it into place where you want it. It's your bedroom, it doesn't have to be fancy unless you want it that way, lol. Space your tacks about 8-12 inches apart, get it up high enough that you aren't hitting your head on it all the time, and it won't come loose until you take it down. The more contact you have with it, the more likely it is to fall. A ceiling fan running in the room will also reduce tent longevity, lol.
Non-wall-damaging options include leaning curtain rods creatively, extendable poles braced on the walls, and rigging a pole across the furniture. (I one used zip-ties to attach a long dowel to a wicker shelf and a curtain rod for a party.) Basically, if you think outside the box, a tent is really easy.

And standard safety warning: never leave the lights on in a tent when you leave it. Total fire hazard. A power strip with a switch works great for hitting the lights of the whole area at once. Very convenient. :) Also, no candles in tents of any kind. Baaaaaaaaad idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal