collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Asking for help to fix my website mlpland.com  (Read 817 times)

Offline Stargaze

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+83)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLP Land
Asking for help to fix my website mlpland.com
« on: May 04, 2020, 03:35:07 AM »
Hi all, I need your help.

I don’t know if any of you still use my website mlpland.com, which I haven’t updated anymore since 2012, but it doesn’t work as it used to anymore, because of outdated software. I want to fix things and wanted to ask your help to complete the list of ‘errors’. I mean, do you know of any more errors?

:work:

Things I’ve noticed:
1. E-mails can’t be sent anymore using the Contact Form, nor does the sender receive a confirmation of sending a message via the Contact Form.
2. The counter for the “number of pony friends online” doesn’t work anymore.
3. In the menu there was a little Seashell pony before the links to “The Ponies”, “The Playsets” and “Other MLP”. Plus, other ‘strange’ letters (e.g. ë, which is common in Dutch) are replaced with a question mark in a black square.
4. The website was created in two languages: Dutch and English. Before, when I was on a certain English page (e.g. News) and I wanted to switch directly to the Dutch news page, I was directed there immediately after clicking on the Dutch flag. Now, when I click the flag, I’m directed to the Home page.

I would really appreciate any input, via a reply below, via PM or via e-mail (info @ mlpland . com)

Thank you so much!
 :lovey:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:30:17 PM by Stargaze »
For information about G1 + G2 + G3: Visit MLP Land 
~*~ My Wish List ~*~  :rainbow: ~*~ MLP Land Sales Albums ~*~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Asking for help to fix my website mlpland.com
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 07:10:20 AM »
Not sure how to help with any of these issues (sorry), but yes I still use MLP Land! I was using it just the other day, in fact! Your search tool is the best for quick identification, or if I'm looking for ponies with particular symbols (i.e. all the ponies w/ cat symbols).

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:06:04 AM »
I want to preface by saying I haven't coded an entire website in decades so I might not be that helpful

1. Is the contact form something you coded or is it hosted by another website? If so is that site still working?

2. I'm assuming the counter is a widget and the host might not be valid anymore, check the host website

3. The image is broken, are you hosting the image on your own server or is it a 3Rd party like flicker?

4. So originally did you individually link each Dutch page to its English counter part or did you use some kind of widget/code to automatically redirect to the right page?

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:10:02 AM »
Unfortunately I can't help you, I'm a big loser in computer land... But I just wanted to say that I still use your site too! I love the way it looks, and it's so easy and pleasant to navigate. :D

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
i use your website from time to time still.  good luck on making it more updated!
do you self host ?
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Stargaze

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+83)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLP Land
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »
@Carrehz, aww, I'm so happy to hear that my site is so useful to you.

@SaraMari, I'm not looking for solutions at the moment, but need to know if you guys noticed more errors, so I can make a complete list and then see if I can hire a PHP programmer to fix things. The problem is that my site is running on an old version of PHP and I don't know PHP myself at all. The person who created the whole website for me isn't in my life anymore. The whole site is created in notepad/php and I'm using 1 host, nothing external. I have an English and Dutch version uploaded via FTP, but I don't even have that program anymore because it was on my old computer. I know how to change words and upload them but I can't even do that anymore without this program. I have maybe 1% knowledge of computer language so hope that my explanation's are correct.

@Broken Irishwoman, thank you for mentioning that. I wish I could make it even easier to navigate. I have enough ideas but don't have the programming knowledge either.

@lovesbabysquirmy, I'm happy to hear that. I had to look up what self hosting means, lol, but yes, I host it myself.
For information about G1 + G2 + G3: Visit MLP Land 
~*~ My Wish List ~*~  :rainbow: ~*~ MLP Land Sales Albums ~*~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal