collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP x Ghostbusters, Power Rangers & Transformers crossover collection  (Read 18590 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Like so many other releases, I've gotta see the pony in person before I decide!
I agree on this.

Also I noticed reading the description that it says "exciting character mashup 4 5-inch figure", I'm trying to decipher if 4 5-inch is supposed to be 4.5 or 4 figures that are 5-inch tall.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Crossing over FiM-style (unless "retro" refers to the Basic Fun ponies and not the new funky G3/G4 hybrid) with random popular franchises from the 80s and 90s instead of using ponies from the 80s and 90s. I hate to see it.

Power Rangers and Ghostbusters are even more baffling than Transformers. And look at all these franchises having largely male fanbases instead of doing a crossover with another girl property. Last grasp at securing some Brony money, I assume.

Edit: at least the Stranger Things Basic Fun AJ had some merit as MLP was referenced in season 3...

Good points. Its not fair that other 80s/90s franchises get a retro look but not MLP. Although modern PR doesn't seem to have changed much stylistically.

Its not like Hasbroken doesn't have any other girl franchises under their belt. A JatH, LPS and Moondreamers crossover with MLP would not be unwelcome. Especially if Basic Fun might be doing it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:02:48 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Crossing over FiM-style (unless "retro" refers to the Basic Fun ponies and not the new funky G3/G4 hybrid) with random popular franchises from the 80s and 90s instead of using ponies from the 80s and 90s. I hate to see it.

Power Rangers and Ghostbusters are even more baffling than Transformers. And look at all these franchises having largely male fanbases instead of doing a crossover with another girl property. Last grasp at securing some Brony money, I assume.

Edit: at least the Stranger Things Basic Fun AJ had some merit as MLP was referenced in season 3...

Good points. Its not fair that other 80s/90s franchises get a retro look but not MLP. Although modern PR doesn't seem to have changed much stylistically.

Its not like Hasbroken doesn't have any other girl franchises under their belt. A JatH, LPS and Moondreamers crossover with MLP would not be unwelcome. Especially if Basic Fun might be doing it.

Other than Jem none of those have a significant adult fanbase. Suspecting these were for Comic Con, they would want to go with things that have an adult fanbase.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile

Other than Jem none of those have a significant adult fanbase. Suspecting these were for Comic Con, they would want to go with things that have an adult fanbase.

And your point? Hasbro barely pays attention to Jem and they still bring stuff out every now and again. LPS has been doing decently and does have fans of all ages.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:16:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
idk about Power Rangers/Ghostbusters, but Transformers is already owned by Hasbro. Care Bears/SSC aren't Hasbro, right? They probably wanted to keep it to their own properties.

MLP/TF isn't all that odd, they've always been kind of brother/sister franchises (heck didn't they have a comic crossover recently?), but the others do seem kind of... out of nowhere.

They acquired Power Rangers if rumor is true.

I believe they aquired Saban (including Power Rangers) in 2018 and they got the license for Ghostbusters last year. So everything is within their own portfolio of brands/licenses.

Ahh, okay, thanks :D Then that makes sense. I imagine trying to secure the licenses for two different properties (I'm pretty sure CB/SSC are owned by different people still?) would be a nightmare (not to mention the other companies in question might want to have their own say as to what the final product would look like), much easier to just use their own properties.

Though, yeah, why not crossover with two other girly toys? I guess maybe you could argue LPS doesn't have any "iconic" characters like GB/TF/PR do (there's the TV show with Pepper, Zoe, etc but I get the impression that didn't really take off like they wanted it to?), but Jem ponies would be adorable! And would at least make more sense than Power Rangers, lol. Feels weird to have that in here since that's more 90s than 80s, right?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
idk about Power Rangers/Ghostbusters, but Transformers is already owned by Hasbro. Care Bears/SSC aren't Hasbro, right? They probably wanted to keep it to their own properties.

MLP/TF isn't all that odd, they've always been kind of brother/sister franchises (heck didn't they have a comic crossover recently?), but the others do seem kind of... out of nowhere.

They acquired Power Rangers if rumor is true.

I believe they aquired Saban (including Power Rangers) in 2018 and they got the license for Ghostbusters last year. So everything is within their own portfolio of brands/licenses.

Ahh, okay, thanks :D Then that makes sense. I imagine trying to secure the licenses for two different properties (I'm pretty sure CB/SSC are owned by different people still?) would be a nightmare (not to mention the other companies in question might want to have their own say as to what the final product would look like), much easier to just use their own properties.

Though, yeah, why not crossover with two other girly toys? I guess maybe you could argue LPS doesn't have any "iconic" characters like GB/TF/PR do (there's the TV show with Pepper, Zoe, etc but I get the impression that didn't really take off like they wanted it to?), but Jem ponies would be adorable! And would at least make more sense than Power Rangers, lol. Feels weird to have that in here since that's more 90s than 80s, right?

I agree about the PR comment.

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile

It'd be fun if Hasbro did more crossovers with "girly" franchises (like, franchises were girls are the target demographic...of course all genders can like any franchise). I don't mind Transformers or Power Rangers, but the target audience is male so it really does feel like a brony cash grab...
Personally, I prefer my ponies to be pretty rather than cool. That's why I would want them to do a crossover with like LPS or My Pretty Mermaid (if they even still have the license to do that one  :lol: ). The Ghost Busters or Transformer pony will be cool, but I personally just prefer a pony that is pretty. I don't really think a pony in a ghostbuster suit is pretty, but that's my opinion. Besides, I don't even know what it'll look like so maybe it will be really pretty in all actuality.

I guess I'm frustrated in the fact that it's mostly boy aimed toys that get retro releases but not as many girl aimed toys. I think this is why if they did a crossover with a more girl aimed toy, it'd help bring back interest in that franchise. Everyone already likes transformers and power rangers, so why not give Moon Dreamers a chance?
Oh yeah, because Hasbro is scared it might not be profitable.

I wish that operating on what makes money wasn't the bottom line, but that's just how companies work. Why take a risk when you could play it safe?

We have had some resurgence in girl aimed toys making a comeback, such as the retro Polly Pocket stuff that was released. If they did well, maybe companies will start releasing other retro female aimed toys?

I don't know that's just my word vomit on this situation. I hope I made sense and didn't offend anyone. I tried to be as sensitive with this topic as I could. This is just my opinion and assumption on why we aren't getting as much retro girl aimed toys and I could be totally wrong. Also there's a difference between retro and revival, which is why I didn't mention She-Ra.   ^^;

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile

It'd be fun if Hasbro did more crossovers with "girly" franchises (like, franchises were girls are the target demographic...of course all genders can like any franchise). I don't mind Transformers or Power Rangers, but the target audience is male so it really does feel like a brony cash grab...
Personally, I prefer my ponies to be pretty rather than cool. That's why I would want them to do a crossover with like LPS or My Pretty Mermaid (if they even still have the license to do that one  :lol: ). The Ghost Busters or Transformer pony will be cool, but I personally just prefer a pony that is pretty. I don't really think a pony in a ghostbuster suit is pretty, but that's my opinion. Besides, I don't even know what it'll look like so maybe it will be really pretty in all actuality.

I guess I'm frustrated in the fact that it's mostly boy aimed toys that get retro releases but not as many girl aimed toys. I think this is why if they did a crossover with a more girl aimed toy, it'd help bring back interest in that franchise. Everyone already likes transformers and power rangers, so why not give Moon Dreamers a chance?
Oh yeah, because Hasbro is scared it might not be profitable.

I wish that operating on what makes money wasn't the bottom line, but that's just how companies work. Why take a risk when you could play it safe?

We have had some resurgence in girl aimed toys making a comeback, such as the retro Polly Pocket stuff that was released. If they did well, maybe companies will start releasing other retro female aimed toys?

I don't know that's just my word vomit on this situation. I hope I made sense and didn't offend anyone. I tried to be as sensitive with this topic as I could. This is just my opinion and assumption on why we aren't getting as much retro girl aimed toys and I could be totally wrong. Also there's a difference between retro and revival, which is why I didn't mention She-Ra.   ^^;

:iconclap:

Offline Arkseil

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Man I'd be all over a MLPxGhostbusters crossover if it's done right and has some glow in the dark parts. Maybe a sculpted Slimer cutie mark...

Transformers makes sense to me, someone else already mentioned that the two have always been linked. There is even a MLP reference in the first live action Tformers movie :)
<3 Check out my RedBubble shop for G1 Pony designs + other fun things from the 80s & 90s! <3
https://www.redbubble.com/people/PlasticRainbow/explore?asc=u&page=1&sortOrder=recen

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
I'm interested if it's a true G1, G3, or G4 mold but , like others have said,  if it's that weird fake retro mold, I'm out. I have no idea why they had to go and make those things...

Same.  I had somehow managed to miss ever seeing those until now, and damn they are hideous.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Why am I thinking of a Lord Z pony?

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile

And this right here is the problem.

Women don't get to enjoy childish stuff, only men. Women are supposed to leave girl stuff behind and become adults who then go on to cater to men who get to stay childish.
That's why Jem will never be Ghostbusters. Because virtually nobody is interested in gearing that stuff to adult women in the first place.
Mattel did Gotham City Sirens Polly Pocket a few years ago, Frankie Stein as a 2016 Ghostbuster, last year they had Barbie as Mystique, Dark Phoenix and Storm from X-Men - these I consider good efforts to link a girl property with a nerd property for women.

Hasbro is lazy as hell when they cross over pony with ectoplasm. I'll say the Pink Ranger is still fun because the Pink Ranger always is the token girl and Pinkie Pie is Hasbro's flagship pony. But ectoplasm and Optimus Prime - nope. Especially when those fandoms are horrible towards female fans who dare to prefer female characters.
I remember when that particular Frankie came out male GB fans were like "ewwww why is this the feminist reboot garbage? Who wants that? Nobody will buy this!" :lookround:

I'll cut them some slack and say this is still better than muffin pony. However it's a step back from last year where they made Majesty and the Twilight doublepack. It's like they are constantly trying to cut off MLP from the female fanbase because we have less disposable income than the dudes. We allegedly only buy make-up, jewelry and clothing and of course stuff for our kids.
This way female properties will never become big.

Isn't Hasbro doing the Marvel Legends line? Why not have female Marvel superhero ponies. But HotCheetoDust69 and IHateTheLastJedi1990 would not buy those, I guess :cool:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I'm interested if it's a true G1, G3, or G4 mold but , like others have said,  if it's that weird fake retro mold, I'm out. I have no idea why they had to go and make those things...

Same.  I had somehow managed to miss ever seeing those until now, and damn they are hideous.

G1s=Beautiful
G3s that are the aesthetic succesors of G1s=Beautiful
G1/G3 Dollymix=Cute
G1/G3 Dollymix 2.0=Hideous? That's some interesting logic you people are employing there.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:44:39 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
I love the repro pack... I guess I should be posting this in the "unpopular opinion" thread? ;)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I love the repro pack... I guess I should be posting this in the "unpopular opinion" thread? ;)

I love it too. Most of them anyway. If only they'd do other ponies in it. Hasbro's last return to roots and form of the brand and people can only ignore or hiss at it like angry cats because its not completely G1 or G3. I could understand being upset and ignoring them because its more Mane Suxx, that made me angry too. But sometimes I wonder if constant complaining is why they don't want much to do with us?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:56:48 AM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal