collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP x Ghostbusters, Power Rangers & Transformers crossover collection  (Read 18853 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Rainbow Brite isn't Hasbro anymore though, is it? 

I grew to like the tiny Running Press ponies but it took a little while.  I was most upset with the fact that they didn't show us an actual product photo, they just scaled a G1 Firefly stock photo down :( 

And the Loyal Subject blind bag thing ... well I hate blind bags! 

And the Danbury Mint (was it them?) porcelain sculpted G1 ponies were also a disaster because the aesthetic of the Porcelain G1 items wasn't the same style as the toys, which was odd to a lot of people.  And the sculpt was not the best recreation of it.  AND it was advertised in magazines and newspapers just like the rest of the Danbury Mint items...  so hardly anyone knew about them. 

I think part of the problem with girls' toys vs. boys' toys reboots is, well, our complaining and our voting with our wallets.  It has happened EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Even in this very thread! 

From my experiences with "boy toy collectors", if a Transformer is released, regardless of the fact that it might have only a different paint job, or a different name and the same mold as last time, they buy it.  They buy it because it's there and Hasbro released it.  Doesn't matter if it's not their favorite, or that they have 3 others just like it, they buy it.  Also they have a slightly higher price point and make more profit because of it. 

Female collectors hem and haw, nitpick and find reasons to find flaws and reasons NOT to buy a 18th Applejack.  How many times have the Original 6 been released?  Like 3 times now, twice as a reboot?  And how many of us ran to the stores and bought the ponies, just because they were there?  Oh right, hardly any of us, once we saw that the plastic and hair was different.  And then Basic Fun tried again a decade later, and many collectors were still like, "Too expensive AND they have flaws!  Look at all these flaws!  They smell bad, they discolour, they fall over, you can buy a common Cotton Candy for less than $5, why pay twice that for a pony I already own?"

I don't know if MLP will ever be a toy that customers empty the store shelves over again.  In the 80's, if you weren't into dolls, the only options for you were science/outdoor toys, or MLP.  Today.... there's just too many choices for "female" collectors to spend their money on.  As mentioned, our own children, cosmetics, video games, other toys, clothing, household bills, being "responsible", etc. 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
And yet Basic Fun ponies have been flying off the shelves and they as a company have done more then just the Collectors and the first Rainbow set. Plus they re-released them without scents which is all kinds of awesome.

And once again Mini Gllory was well recieved, but that wasa dirty trick they pulled with Firefly.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Hear hear, LBS!! Fantastic post.

Personally, I love new takes on old concepts (like the Dollymixes, Hallmarks, etc), but I'll freely admit that I've never been one to get a toy that's a re-released version of something I already have - unless it's substantially different. (Although I do have the some of the repros.)

I want to believe Running Press weren't intentionally trying to trick us with the Firefly... it took forever for us to even get that photoshopped picture, didn't it? I hope that that pic was just a mock-up that the general public were never meant to see... that somehow got out... but yeah they really did drop the ball there. :/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:49:46 PM by Carrehz »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I agree that Basic Fun has done the best of all the re-releases...... BUT I think the G3 re-release was silly.  *ducks fakies*
They should have done one more G1 wave, with a different gimmick than Rainbow/Unicorn/Pegasus/Sitting/Original Common Ponies.  Given us the Babies or something.  I heard the idea of the Flutters was a no-go. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
I think the G3 repros were kind of odd, too. I mean, it's nice to see some G3 love, but... why? The originals are easy to find, and I feel like we're still a few years away from really being able to play the nostalgia angle with G3. (Now if they'd been G2 repros, then we'd be talking!)

I so wish they hadn't canned the Flutters :(

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Thank you for clarifying Leave a Whisper, I see what you mean by them being more horse like. I too wish for more horse like appearences (I also wish for more effort but it seems like Hasbro just can't be bothered in general)

I also hope basic fun is doing them, and that they are cute at least

I wish they'd have picked another 80s property rather than power rangers, Jem was a good idea.
What other 80s properties that Hasbro has access to would you want to see crossed over with MLP everyone?

I'll always have my dreams of a My Pretty Mermaids crossover no matter how unlikely it is  >_< I'm not sure what they'd do though? If they were gonna use Basic Fun then maybe that'd also be a great spot for Basic Fun to kick off a sea pony line.
Hmm, I think She-Ra would be cool but unfortunately, She-Ra is owned by Mattel  :cry:
Strawberry shortcake would be cute, especially since (to my knowledge) she has her own horse. Or at least in the 2000s-ish era she had a horse (and it smelled lovely).
I just found out about a doll line called Rose Petal Place which would be cute, but again, licensing issues  :P

As a joke, imagine a Garfield or Troll dolls crossover  :lol: It'd be amusing but I don't think I'd want it...

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
I'm interested if it's a true G1, G3, or G4 mold but , like others have said,  if it's that weird fake retro mold, I'm out. I have no idea why they had to go and make those things...

Same.  I had somehow managed to miss ever seeing those until now, and damn they are hideous.

G1s=Beautiful
G3s that are the aesthetic succesors of G1s=Beautiful
G1/G3 Dollymix=Cute
G1/G3 Dollymix 2.0=Hideous? That's some interesting logic you people are employing there.

Collectors don't have to like everything. I don't think me mentioning a particular mold isn't my cup of tea ONCE qualifies as constant complaining. I never mentioned Dollymix, either. Are you confusing me with someone else?

I just find the fake repro designs bizarre and unnecessary, since they could have just used molds already in existence. 
I LOVED the idea. Just not the execution. So I didn't buy the set. I'm glad that some people enjoy them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:59:24 PM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I'd have to see these crossover ponies before I decide if I want to buy them or not.  I'm not a huge fan of Power Rangers or Transformers but I might like the Ghosbusters one.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I'm interested if it's a true G1, G3, or G4 mold but , like others have said,  if it's that weird fake retro mold, I'm out. I have no idea why they had to go and make those things...

Same.  I had somehow managed to miss ever seeing those until now, and damn they are hideous.

G1s=Beautiful
G3s that are the aesthetic succesors of G1s=Beautiful
G1/G3 Dollymix=Cute
G1/G3 Dollymix 2.0=Hideous? That's some interesting logic you people are employing there.

Collectors don't have to like everything. I don't think me mentioning a particular mold isn't my cup of tea ONCE qualifies as constant complaining. I never mentioned Dollymix, either. Are you confusing me with someone else?

I just find the fake repro designs bizarre and unnecessary, since they could have just used molds already in existence. 
I LOVED the idea. Just not the execution. So I didn't buy the set. I'm glad that some people enjoy them.

It was a response to Aeryala. And no we don't.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
I think the G3 repros were kind of odd, too. I mean, it's nice to see some G3 love, but... why? The originals are easy to find, and I feel like we're still a few years away from really being able to play the nostalgia angle with G3. (Now if they'd been G2 repros, then we'd be talking!)

I so wish they hadn't canned the Flutters :(
G2 repros & Flutters, yes please!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Its still really weird mixing it it together with an 80s movie property, a boys toytoon and a 90s live action show.

That's like drizzling mustard on your ice cream, adding chopped nectarines and sprinkling it with crushed corn nuts.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Its still really weird mixing it it together with an 80s movie property, a boys toytoon and a 90s live action show.

Not any worse than mixing them with actual Baseball teams like they did in 2015.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile

Not any worse than mixing them with actual Baseball teams like they did in 2015.

Really?? That woulda been a perfect time to bring back Slugger.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

That's like drizzling mustard on your ice cream, adding chopped nectarines and sprinkling it with crushed corn nuts.
so which is which IP?  ahahahahahahaa
The Bad Trader List

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Ah, but honestly, I think that mustard (spice), crushed corn nuts, and nectarines could make a really interesting ice cream. The way you blend ingredients is important, it can be sophisticated. :/

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/scooped-honey-mustard-ice-cream-recipe.html
(ironically this suggests roasted nectarines as a topping).

Uh, yeah, well unpopular opinion. I'm not gonna judge something before I see it. I hope it's something cool.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal