collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP x Ghostbusters, Power Rangers & Transformers crossover collection  (Read 18761 times)

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I'm interested if it's a true G1, G3, or G4 mold but , like others have said,  if it's that weird fake retro mold, I'm out. I have no idea why they had to go and make those things...

Same.  I had somehow managed to miss ever seeing those until now, and damn they are hideous.

G1s=Beautiful
G3s that are the aesthetic succesors of G1s=Beautiful
G1/G3 Dollymix=Cute
G1/G3 Dollymix 2.0=Hideous? That's some interesting logic you people are employing there.

You come across very condescending and rude, also why did you bring up dollymix, it was not mentioned anywhere here? (dollymix is unattractive especially the beady eyes) Are you calling that retro 6 pack dollymix 2.0? Its not a dollymix line

Also that retro 6 pack is poorly sculpted, badly screen printed, with cheap limp hair and overall low quality. That's why I hiss at it  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I love the repro pack... I guess I should be posting this in the "unpopular opinion" thread? ;)

I love it too. Most of them anyway. If only they'd do other ponies in it. Hasbro's last return to roots and form of the brand and people can only ignore or hiss at it like angry cats because its not completely G1 or G3. I could understand being upset and ignoring them because its more Mane Suxx, that made me angry too. But sometimes I wonder if constant complaining is why they don't want much to do with us?

Our complaints on pony forums are like screaming into the void because we are not the ones pestering them on social media and hacking their websites.
Nobody ever sent Hasbro employees death threats just because the retro M6 looked cheap.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I love the repro pack... I guess I should be posting this in the "unpopular opinion" thread? ;)

I love it too. Most of them anyway. If only they'd do other ponies in it. Hasbro's last return to roots and form of the brand and people can only ignore or hiss at it like angry cats because its not completely G1 or G3. I could understand being upset and ignoring them because its more Mane Suxx, that made me angry too. But sometimes I wonder if constant complaining is why they don't want much to do with us?

Our complaints on pony forums are like screaming into the void because we are not the ones pestering them on social media and hacking their websites.
Nobody ever sent Hasbro employees death threats just because the retro M6 looked cheap.

For the record, I do a fair share of whining.

This is true, however companies have taken notice of lack of buying when they try to make attempts at throwing its older fan a bone.  And yeah, the retros suffer from Extreme Character Fatigue. (And bad seams.) But they are a return to form and are fairly nice for what they are. Particularly the moulds and hair.

They're certainly better then the Jawless Body Horror Victims.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:15:33 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
But sometimes I wonder if constant complaining is why they don't want much to do with us?

Honestly wouldn't surprise me at all. Look at how people reacted to the Running Press ponies. I loved those things, but people trashed them because they weren't a perfect miniature reproduction of the original Firefly/Glory. Sure we're not running around screaming death threats at Hasbro, but there is a definite trend of "Retro/repro/etc thing is released -> Older gen fans whine about it cause it's not an exact replica" :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
But sometimes I wonder if constant complaining is why they don't want much to do with us?

Honestly wouldn't surprise me at all. Look at how people reacted to the Running Press ponies. I loved those things, but people trashed them because they weren't a perfect miniature reproduction of the original Firefly/Glory. Sure we're not running around screaming death threats at Hasbro, but there is a definite trend of "Retro/repro/etc thing is released -> Older gen fans whine about it cause it's not an exact replica" :P

Mini Firefly was an understandable reaction. People felt they'd been bait-and-switched.

Mini Glory was perfect and got a far more favorable reaction.

But yeah us older fans do whine alot sometimes.
 :blush::silly:

We complained about the The Loyal Subject G1s, which turned out to be pretty cute in hand. Though I can understand not liking TLS's aesthetic. Their lack of advertisement and their annoying blindbox and store exclusive practices.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
eh, we knew all along the pic we had of RP Firefly was photoshopped. But yeah, they should've given us an actual photo of her ahead of time.

The Loyal Subject ponies still don't do it for me (the price + blindbox..ed..ness was the biggest turn-off for me) but I like that they exist. :B

although hang on, how did the subject of the Retro Main 6 molds come up at all? They still haven't said which molds these are gonna be in, right?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I'm interested if it's a true G1, G3, or G4 mold but , like others have said,  if it's that weird fake retro mold, I'm out. I have no idea why they had to go and make those things...

Same.  I had somehow managed to miss ever seeing those until now, and damn they are hideous.

G1s=Beautiful
G3s that are the aesthetic succesors of G1s=Beautiful
G1/G3 Dollymix=Cute
G1/G3 Dollymix 2.0=Hideous? That's some interesting logic you people are employing there.

You come across very condescending and rude, also why did you bring up dollymix, it was not mentioned anywhere here? (dollymix is unattractive especially the beady eyes) Are you calling that retro 6 pack dollymix 2.0? Its not a dollymix line

Also that retro 6 pack is poorly sculpted, badly screen printed, with cheap limp hair and overall low quality. That's why I hiss at it  :)

Really? Aside from the bad seams and weird eyes, none of mine have limp cheap hair. Its not Basic Fun quality, but it's a decent thickness and its soft and silky. Far better then the thin, awful messes on G4s.

The plastic seems sturdy so far, though it will be hard to tell what issues they'll have later.

They seem to share some similarities to Dollymix ponies and are very much a mix of G1 and G3.
While I concede that not everyone is a fan of DM, there are also people who think they're cute.

I for one would rather see more SDCC Twilight style ponies then Reveal the Magic style ponies.

As for my tone, I'm at this point a bit annoyed that many older fans wish for the brand to resemble My Little Pony again and then gripe about it. I'm starting to hear people gripe about the Repros too and that really confuses me.

Post Merge: May 06, 2020, 09:41:43 AM

eh, we knew all along the pic we had of RP Firefly was photoshopped. But yeah, they should've given us an actual photo of her ahead of time.

The Loyal Subject ponies still don't do it for me (the price + blindbox..ed..ness was the biggest turn-off for me) but I like that they exist. :B

although hang on, how did the subject of the Retro Main 6 molds come up at all? They still haven't said which molds these are gonna be in, right?

In the article, they mentioned that the crossover figures would be 4-5 inches in a Retro Style.

Some people said that they didn't want any of the crossover toys on those poses, since it is possible Hasbro may reuse those moulds. Then we started debating whether  the Retro Moulds or Basic Funs would be used.  No one knows if Hasbro or Basic Fun is doing them yet. But I'd be happy with either  if it means ponies that look like ponies again.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:00:54 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
OH okay, I getcha. I got sort of lost for a minute there ^^; Lots of stuff going on in this thread.

Well, it'll be interesting to see which molds they go with. I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing back the Retro Rainbow molds for these, they're much better than the Reveal the Magic ponies IMO. They'd fit the "old school" aesthetic more, too (it'd be weird to have something based off these 80s/90s properties but in a super-modern style, right? Well, not unheard of, certainly, but you get what I mean).

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
OH okay, I getcha. I got sort of lost for a minute there ^^; Lots of stuff going on in this thread.

Well, it'll be interesting to see which molds they go with. I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing back the Retro Rainbow molds for these, they're much better than the Reveal the Magic ponies IMO. They'd fit the "old school" aesthetic more, too (it'd be weird to have something based off these 80s/90s properties but in a super-modern style, right? Well, not unheard of, certainly, but you get what I mean).

Yeah I get what you mean.

I guess I'm just frustrated and disappointed that we could have maybe gotten more Horse-like Moulds and then Reveal the Magic/Pony Life came along instead.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:57:11 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Crossing over FiM-style (unless "retro" refers to the Basic Fun ponies and not the new funky G3/G4 hybrid) with random popular franchises from the 80s and 90s instead of using ponies from the 80s and 90s. I hate to see it.

Power Rangers and Ghostbusters are even more baffling than Transformers. And look at all these franchises having largely male fanbases instead of doing a crossover with another girl property. Last grasp at securing some Brony money, I assume.

Edit: at least the Stranger Things Basic Fun AJ had some merit as MLP was referenced in season 3...

Good points. Its not fair that other 80s/90s franchises get a retro look but not MLP. Although modern PR doesn't seem to have changed much stylistically.

Its not like Hasbroken doesn't have any other girl franchises under their belt. A JatH, LPS and Moondreamers crossover with MLP would not be unwelcome. Especially if Basic Fun might be doing it.

Other than Jem none of those have a significant adult fanbase. Suspecting these were for Comic Con, they would want to go with things that have an adult fanbase.

And this right here is the problem.

Women don't get to enjoy childish stuff, only men. Women are supposed to leave girl stuff behind and become adults who then go on to cater to men who get to stay childish.
That's why Jem will never be Ghostbusters. Because virtually nobody is interested in gearing that stuff to adult women in the first place.
Mattel did Gotham City Sirens Polly Pocket a few years ago, Frankie Stein as a 2016 Ghostbuster, last year they had Barbie as Mystique, Dark Phoenix and Storm from X-Men - these I consider good efforts to link a girl property with a nerd property for women.

Hasbro is lazy as hell when they cross over pony with ectoplasm. I'll say the Pink Ranger is still fun because the Pink Ranger always is the token girl and Pinkie Pie is Hasbro's flagship pony. But ectoplasm and Optimus Prime - nope. Especially when those fandoms are horrible towards female fans who dare to prefer female characters.
I remember when that particular Frankie came out male GB fans were like "ewwww why is this the feminist reboot garbage? Who wants that? Nobody will buy this!" :lookround:

I'll cut them some slack and say this is still better than muffin pony. However it's a step back from last year where they made Majesty and the Twilight doublepack. It's like they are constantly trying to cut off MLP from the female fanbase because we have less disposable income than the dudes. We allegedly only buy make-up, jewelry and clothing and of course stuff for our kids.
This way female properties will never become big.

Isn't Hasbro doing the Marvel Legends line? Why not have female Marvel superhero ponies. But HotCheetoDust69 and IHateTheLastJedi1990 would not buy those, I guess :cool:

But that's not Hasbro's fault. To be fair men need to take care of their appearance too but for some strange reason the products they need cost a lot less even when it is exactly the same minus the color and then we make less on top of that. So of course women have less left over to spend. It's a vicious cycle.

I didn't think GB Frankie looked like the GB reboot designs. Then again I never really think the GB fanbase even noticed the doll because they were too busy frothing over the movie.

Yeah they make Marvel Legends but they probably would have needed to give Disney extra money to do something different. It's likely the same reason why there isn't a Star Wars or Disney Princess pony.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
And like I said it could be that Basic Fun is doing these. That would be wonderful.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Thank you for clarifying Leave a Whisper, I see what you mean by them being more horse like. I too wish for more horse like appearences (I also wish for more effort but it seems like Hasbro just can't be bothered in general)

I also hope basic fun is doing them, and that they are cute at least

I wish they'd have picked another 80s property rather than power rangers, Jem was a good idea.
What other 80s properties that Hasbro has access to would you want to see crossed over with MLP everyone?

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Rainbowbrite would be very cute as a crossover. Could you imagine MLP versions of Starlight, Skydancer, Sunrise and Onyx?

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Glo Friends!!! And Moondreamers!!! Cute, glowing Ponies!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Glo Friends!!! And Moondreamers!!! Cute, glowing Ponies!!!

Glowing ponies rock!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal