collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The perfect time to release mlp g5?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
The perfect time to release mlp g5?
« on: May 01, 2020, 06:42:12 PM »
I have been thinking. G4 tends to be classified as “lightning in a bottle” by many of its fans- as it became popularized by just the right circumstances- having a creator that loved MLP and it’s past gens and using it as as inspiration to build upon a new gen, posts in some other site exploded into G4’s popularity, and what I believe was a fulfilled need for a wholesome show about escapism into a world of cute ponies and good morals and friendship lessons at a time when people were seeking such a thing out....

But let’s look forward...i realize that in the midst of this Coronavirus pandemic people are scared, uncertain, apprehensive....this already begs a need for the same kind of escapism and wholesomeness that’s g4 brought to the table in 2010. I can only hope that the next gen is made with just as much love and passion as Faust breathed into it in G4’s early years. But with. That being saiid- do you guys think that NOW is the perfect time for Hasbro to strike while the iron is hot and bring a heaping helping of wholesomeness and feels to the table by possibly fast forwarding the release of g5?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:40:22 PM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: The perfect time to release mlp g5?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:10:23 PM »
I always figured that the FiM craze was simply due to being a great cartoon at a time when we didn't have a ton of other cartoons. Then I go back and I look at the other cartoons released that year and a bit before and I think I prove myself wrong...but it was also part of a new channel's lineup, so I think a lot of people who went to check out the new channel saw it as original programming rather than acquired and were interested. Lots of factors, not just escapism.
I will slightly bop your nose and say you're not talking about the release of G5 toys, yes? You're talking about the media? There are lots of escapist routes for many people right now, perhaps a bit of an oversaturated market even, and I think a better release for the movie at least would be a bit closer to the holiday season. Fresh in the mind of people looking to buy toys for holidays.
Also, we're still reeling from FiM ending. I think it'd be best for a bit more of a breather, especially because FiM stuff is still being made (that...picture show thing). And AND, I'd rather Pony Life first to bridge the gap.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:14:21 PM »
No I don't. And the iron is cold. Right now due to lockdown people are worried about their jobs, people are getting laid off/fired and the state of the economy in general is a hot topic. Many people who aren't working neccesary jobs are most likely going to be tightening their purse strings and saving for a rainy day.

I personally have no interest in Gen 5 if the sheer awfulness and continued laziness, oversaturation and corporate greed of Reveal the Magic/Pony Life is anything to judge. And if it isn't actually gen 5 anyway.

That suits me fine. It means I can work on my older mlps and other collections without getting distracted by whatever steaming pile of crap Hasbro is foisting upon us anyway. And yes that goes for the show too, considering toytoons are their bread and butter.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:28:03 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »
I always figured that the FiM craze was simply due to being a great cartoon at a time when we didn't have a ton of other cartoons. Then I go back and I look at the other cartoons released that year and a bit before and I think I prove myself wrong...but it was also part of a new channel's lineup, so I think a lot of people who went to check out the new channel saw it as original programming rather than acquired and were interested. Lots of factors, not just escapism.
I will slightly bop your nose and say you're not talking about the release of G5 toys, yes? You're talking about the media? There are lots of escapist routes for many people right now, perhaps a bit of an oversaturated market even, and I think a better release for the movie at least would be a bit closer to the holiday season. Fresh in the mind of people looking to buy toys for holidays.
Also, we're still reeling from FiM ending. I think it'd be best for a bit more of a breather, especially because FiM stuff is still being made (that...picture show thing). And AND, I'd rather Pony Life first to bridge the gap.
-has nose booped- bwah?
No no, I want toys too. First, actually! And a cartoon series, naturally. Both would be great, as soon as possible! (Personally, I have always used ponies as a means of escapism, even now! And I’m sure many others want g5 to come sooner to do the same, in these crazy times). But I completely forgot about the crippled economy- so Whisper is right. People won’t be frivolously buying ponies, I’m sure.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 09:53:14 PM »
No I don't. And the iron is cold. Right now due to lockdown people are worried about their jobs, people are getting laid off/fired and the state of the economy in general is a hot topic. Many people who aren't working neccesary jobs are most likely going to be tightening their purse strings and saving for a rainy day.
This right here. Hasbro wants money. There is a pandemic that is killing people and ruining people's livelihood. Those people won't be paying customers.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 02:02:54 AM »
I actually pray that G5 doesn't get popular in the way G4 did, if you know what I mean.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 03:39:41 AM »
Yeah I agree with what’s been said by the others. I like Pony Life so far and do want to see more of that as a half generation. As far as G5 I guess I’m not super excited. If it’s just going to be a rehash of G4 then no one will be happy. G4 fans won’t be happy with it because it’s their beloved characters but just slightly reimagined and old gen fans won’t be happy because we are sick to death of the mane 6.

I honestly would be happy to wait a while for G5 and see something fresh. I think there’s enough hurt and division in the pony fandom from G4 that a break would be good. I also think that with the pandemic and hardships with that it’s not a good idea to test the market for new ideas, it won’t really be a good gauge.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 04:05:43 AM »
This right here. Hasbro wants money. There is a pandemic that is killing people and ruining people's livelihood. Those people won't be paying customers.

Agreed. First question - are all of Hasbro's employees even holding down their jobs right now? Are all the people in production of MLP managing to feed their families? Are people getting by?

Whether we need more pastel ponies or not is a matter to be judged after the crisis goes away. I mean, I'm really keen for the Retros, but I also realise that this crisis might prevent them from happening, and if it does, the more important thing is that the staff of Basic FUn have jobs, and are safe.

As for G4, it has already destroyed the creativity that was MLP in generations before we had to live through weekly regurgitations of the same six characters in every single weird gimmick possible. We don't need all of those toys, or all of that plastic. Kids didn't, either. There was and remains a frightening speed of turnaround from store to second hand market on a lot of later G4 stuff. I watched this last summer at the carboot where I was living in south london and the number of pony items that had been in stores literally only months earlier before they were being sold off was frightening.

There are a lot of G4 figures I really love, and I think the original brushables are very cute. I recently got my hands on the FS style Muffin from the Wonderbolts set and I love her, she's really cute. I also got Haven Bay and you can't say anything bad about her except she didn't get sold widely enough. She's awesome. So let's be fair, G4 had a lot to offer.

But the franchise is broken. The insistance on repeating those six characters and retaining them into the Pony Life series demonstrates they're riding on the coattails of what happened before, not something new. MLP is creatively dead and has been probably since FIM tied it to a cartoon series and made the cartoon the core of that series.

So I am fine if we don't ever have G5. I remember when G2 came out, and it wasn't expected that there would ever be any more MLP after the middle 1990s. The expectation people have now that there MUST be a G5 is a bit of a jump for me.

Also, nothing that replicates the ideas of G4 is really ever going to be G5 in terms of how collectors of all gens see MLP. It will just be a reboot of G4. So basically...I don't think we'll ever get anything that is unique and new enough to be properly considered a 'G5'. And if we did...probably I'd like to see it happen five or six years from now, when economics are better, but also when people have grown up and forgotten a little more about G4.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 07:08:21 AM »
I think now would be one of the worst times to launch a new gen, actually. People are less likely to go out and hunt for toys, I'd imagine shops would prefer to use valuable shelf space for essentials atm...

I dunno if FiM was lightning in a bottle so much as it just kind of hit at the right time. It helps that its showrunner was established in the cartoon community too - I remember a lot of people at the time going "oh hey, Lauren Faust worked on this? I like her stuff, let's give it a go".

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 08:00:44 AM »
Now is not the time for a new line, because many people can not browse the toy aisle like they used to. Hasbro is probably managing their budget differently right now, and it wouldn't be good for them to market a new release.

That said, I could hope that during this time the design team is working hard to make a good product for when the time is right.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 08:40:52 AM »
IMO it's a tough time for toy companies, whether they put out a new line or not.  I hope Hasbro and Basic Fun come out of this all right.

Purely in terms of media, well, it takes a lot of time to put together a show, it's not something Hasbro could rush out.  Also most voice actors are either located in California or Toronto . . . Two places that AFAIK are still under shutdown.  (From what I heard Toronto was hit bad.)  They can't go to work (and shouldn't, because it would endanger them.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 09:07:18 AM »
Taffeta brings up lots of good points.

The seemingly endless releases of plastic Pinkie Pie toys are likely over.  This pandemic has revealed much more about our globalism that we would like, namely that we are all closer than borders would have us believe.  People were already quite concerned about the environment and plastic before all this ; Hasbro was working on better packaging materials, and they always want a more cost-effective way to make the product.  The majority of people just are not into collecting hunks of plastic that collect dust over time; I say that as a toy collector!  How many aisles of Funko can a person bring home and stack in their boxes? 

And our secondary market.... oh my heavens.  I don't know if it's like this where you live, but people are ditching our city and listing SO MUCH STUFF and our thrift stores are closed, so a lot is going into the garbage.  If you lost your job, you simply cannot sell your collectibles to pay bills - people around here only buy collectibles when they have lots of spare cash.  Plus with the fear of COVID-19, hardly anyone is driving around to strangers' yards and garages or meeting in parking lots.  Cost of living is very expensive here, so collecting for adults is pretty frowned on - we have bills to pay!  The entire world is feeling despondent over the economy, massive bills and interest piling up, politics, etc. 

Plus, yes, G4 is still too fresh.  You need to wait 8-10 years, until G4 is completely and utterly nostalgic to the generation that grew up with them.  IF that generation ever has a wave of nostalgia and wants to collect.  I doubt it, with the push to make EVERYTHING digital and also with the prevailing attitude that Plastic is Bad.   It's true, I would see a MLP toy on the shelves at retail and then, 4 months later, I'd see it at thrift stores.  I don't think children who are more interested in their Nintendo game and who only had Pinkie Pie for four months is going to even remember G4 much.  I mean, like all "colorful horses with designs", they'll know it's MLP but that's really all. 

As wild and devoted as the Brony Movement was for G4.... ummm... these are the same people who went wild and devoted over Powerpuff Girls.  Notice that had a small reboot (and a Japanese version) but not much attention the 2nd and 3rd time around.  These are the same people who looooooooooooooooooooved Dexter's Lab - a show that has not come back, despite the rumours of a live action.  FIM came at a magical time in animation - there wasn't much else to watch, LOL!  I don't see geriatric Bronies clutching their $3000 plushies in care homes in 30 years.

I don't think we will see a new generation of MLP until a new toy marketing strategy appears that isn't "team-based TV tie-in".  Media has been beating us over the head with "sentai" trope since the 1970's. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »
The majority of employees of Hasbro (and Basic Fun) have the type of jobs that are possible to be done remotely. It's the people who work in low paying service type jobs that are out of work. So like the people who work in the cafeteria and the janitorial staff at Hasbro are probably out of work. I think regardless of how I feel about G5, the toy industry is going to be fine. While many people are out of work there's still many that are lucky enough to have jobs. Kids still are having birthdays. Christmas is still going to happen. And now that parents can't have birthday parties for their kids they might spend that money on more gifts to compensate. Toys can still be bought online and Walmart and Target are still open since they sell other essentials.

The one thing that it is a very good time for is a new show. Everyone is staying home and watching shows. I'm not a fan of the new "Robot Chicken-esque" shorts they gave been showing and would like a quality series to watch.

TLDR; I think as far as the toys go it's not a better or worse time. It would be a better time for a new show but that's about it.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 12:30:54 PM »
IMO it's a tough time for toy companies, whether they put out a new line or not.  I hope Hasbro and Basic Fun come out of this all right.

Purely in terms of media, well, it takes a lot of time to put together a show, it's not something Hasbro could rush out.  Also most voice actors are either located in California or Toronto . . . Two places that AFAIK are still under shutdown.  (From what I heard Toronto was hit bad.)  They can't go to work (and shouldn't, because it would endanger them.)
i hope that they do too. It would be tough to see Either one go belly up, but I know a lot of businesses will most likely be severely impacted by this pandemic. I wouldn’t want any content to be rushed. I was thinking solely on “if they had it ready at this time, then they could push it out. “ j know that that’s very clearly not the case, but again, it was purely a “what if” situation being pitched. I certainly think people need a bright and happy escapism to take their minds off all this mess.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 03:04:02 PM »
I thought it was obvious that "staff at Hasbro" etc means everyone, including cleaners and janitors and caterers and whoever else. Right now many of those people who cannot telework are also the ones holding societies together, as key workers, and putting themselves at risk. Those people need to be able to stay safe too before we can care about plastic ponies on shelves again. It's not just about the ones working remotely. At least not for me. I can't speak for other people, but to me staff means staff.  And every staff member deserves to be safe and to be able to feed their family before we worry about plastic ponies.

On the other hand, one point Wardah made does hold some resonance. Toys are still selling despite the pandemic. In fact some items on stores like Amazon, for example, have sold out and have been restricted due to demand. I assume this is in part due to the disrupted production process first in China and now in the West, but it remains that yes, kids do still have birthdays (if not parties), and presents.

Off topic but there was a sweet story here about a kid who was in hospital over Christmas and so missed it. He's 2 years old and his mother decided to throw him a Christmas in lockdown. She got all the street to put their decorations in the windows and collected some old hand me down toys from friends (all at distance of course xD) to wrap up so he could have a proper Christmas even despite the lockdown and the fact it was April. A kid often doesn't care if a toy is new or not, he was super happy at his new treasures. So long as they're safe, there are so many used toys in circulation which are barely played with (what LBS and I were talking about with the quick fix quickly fad turnover of G4 toys). It really doesn't matter if new ones aren't able to be made for a while.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal