collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Would you name your kid after a MLP character?

Yes way!
8 (19%)
No way!
33 (78.6%)
I already have!
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Would you name your kid after a MLP character?  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
Re: Would you name your kid after a MLP character?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2020, 11:03:44 AM »
I've no intention of having children, but in hypothetical terms, I definitely wouldn't give them pony-related names, because it doesn't sit well with me to name a human being with their own thoughts and feelings after a plastic horse. Also, being realistic, surely noone wants to be called Streaky. ;)
But if I did start a family, bird names would definitely be on the table - Heron and Rook just strike me as rather good names.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
I mean, maybe? Depending on the name, of course. I dislike overly “normal” names to begin with (my real name is Wraith, my father’s real name is Rock), so if there were a beautiful, usable name in MLP, why not?

Off the top of my head, names that would work for a human being: Ivy, Tempest, Medley, Serendipity, Avalonia, Nacht, Ember, Tabby...

The thing is, naming another person is always a selfish thing. Either you pick a name you like personally, or name them after an ancestor or parent... It’s not like the kid gets any say in it, no matter what. If they hate it when they grow up, they can always get it changed. XD

I have a cousin named Ember! I think it’s a beautiful name, as well as Ivy. Melody is another one that works for humans, as are Eve, Pearl, Flora and Sapphire. Honestly I think Fern, Firefly and Autumn are potential cute names, but I wouldn’t name a kid that because they’d get teased, sadly.

Fern and Autumn are actual names yes. I was debating naming my daughter Autumn, but it would have been ironic since she was born in the summer.

:o I didn’t know that! I’ve never met anyone with those names. That makes me happy!
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2020, 11:59:44 AM »
I wouldn't be able to. Lots of naming laws here. Unless I chose something like Tiffany. Princess Tiffany wouldnt be possible, tho.

And you know, that's great. I actually hate how in the US kids can have any kind of name like Apple. It feels disrespectful.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2020, 12:18:43 PM »
I know there was a member here who named her daughter Ember :) SpottedSlug I think, not sure on this.
Well, there are some real names which no one would suspect as pony-names but aside from those Id never ever name my kid like a pony!
Pets? sure, Id totally do that! XD I mean, we have a tom named Iroh (coming from Uncle Iroh from Avatar), so sure, Id do it again!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »
I know there was a member here who named her daughter Ember :) SpottedSlug I think, not sure on this.
Well, there are some real names which no one would suspect as pony-names but aside from those Id never ever name my kid like a pony!
Pets? sure, Id totally do that! XD I mean, we have a tom named Iroh (coming from Uncle Iroh from Avatar), so sure, Id do it again!
I have to say, I think Ember is a great name.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »
Hypothetical for me :) But it would be a yes....but it would not be for all names. i.e. calling a kid Heartthrob or Quackers would be weird...but I wouldnt look past something unusual but pretty like Taffeta or Ruby.

FYI I have a friend whose children are named after characters from Star Trek and Sherlock so ponies dont seem that weird :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2020, 01:43:23 PM »
I've known people with some unusual names.
Fantasia
Windy
Stormy
Aysia
Starlette
Hennessey (my cousin)
Pearl (This is more old fashioned then unusual, but she was an old lady so.)
Rohan (another cousin)
Athena
Thok
Life
Arianne
Marjoram
Sunshine
Rhiannon

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:46:52 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »
i had a neighbour who's kids were named  lily and blossom and they weren't into mlp  and are far from being  hippy's :lol:

i would say yes only cos some can be human's names :lol:

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2020, 02:19:40 PM »
Nacht, Ember, Tabby...

No English speaking person should ever call their kid Nacht. Why? They usually can't do the German "ch" so they pronounce it "naCKt", making it sound exactly like the German word for "naked".

Same thing for people naming their daughter "Madchen". Congrats, you just named her "girl" :|

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2020, 03:52:29 PM »
As funny as it would be, I don’t think (if I ever did happen to become a parent) that shouting “surprise, denim and pinkie! Come here and clean this up!” Would go very well. I already have a strange enough name to English speakers, as my name is from Gaelic. I am Siobhan, and it’s pronounced “shuh-von”, because Gaelic is not optimized for the English language. My sisters are the same kind of name. A name is important, and I know how having a different or unusual name can be some times. You can get bullied, or made fun of because of that name. I wouldn’t name the poor kid after a pony character, but their name might have some similarity somewhere. Like rose or something. I don’t like overly common names. But I think twinkleshine or barnacle is out of the question.
I didn't know for the longest time the logic of that pronunciation, so when I met an actual Irish person (Niamh, pronounced Neeve), I asked her & she said the a of Siobhan has an aw sound, so the name is pronounced ShuVAWN.
Welcome to Irish naming. Where nobody can agree on spelling or how to say it. I suppose shuVAWN would work too, but I’ve never really enunciated the W sound, like in Dawn. Maybe it’s just the Canadian accent, but that’s how I hear and spell it. And how most people spell it phonetically on documents like attendance roles. I’ve never seen a phonetic spelling with a W, so that’s new.
A good trick for Gaelic names is to jut forget everything you know about English, because it doesn’t apply here. Old Irish isn’t optimized in any way for the English language, so everybody has their own ideas of spelling and pronunciation. There is no unified consensus on how the transliteration work, so just go whatever. I’ll leave a funny video explaining how silly it is under the spoiler, because there is some...not suitable for young kids language.
BH makes a V sound, don’t ask me how. SIN (like in my sister Roisin) makes a SHEEN sound. And you don’t pronounce the I, so it’s
“ro-sheen” Aoife’s name is another thing. It’s a good old solid ”ee-fah”.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2020, 04:17:43 PM »
I mean combining the a & w into one sound, like they are in Dawn, fawn & awning. The UK makes that sound a lot deeper than North America for some reason.
That vid was hilarious!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline ponyluv85m

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
No thank you,  I named all my boys after family members. Pony names are for ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal