collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Would you name your kid after a MLP character?

Yes way!
8 (19%)
No way!
33 (78.6%)
I already have!
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Would you name your kid after a MLP character?  (Read 2847 times)

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Would you name your kid after a MLP character?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 03:38:08 PM »
No.  I mean, Megan and Molly are nice names.  But I wouldn't say I gave them pony names.  I do think naming kids is be really, really hard.  Picking a really common name means that she'll have to share with classmates.  But a really strange name means getting it mispronounced, having to repeat it, being teased, and one one spelling it right. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »
I'm done having kids, but if we'd had twin girls, my husband and I would have thrown down over naming them Megan and Molly.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 06:05:31 PM »
I mean, maybe? Depending on the name, of course. I dislike overly “normal” names to begin with (my real name is Wraith, my father’s real name is Rock), so if there were a beautiful, usable name in MLP, why not?

Off the top of my head, names that would work for a human being: Ivy, Tempest, Medley, Serendipity, Avalonia, Nacht, Ember, Tabby...

The thing is, naming another person is always a selfish thing. Either you pick a name you like personally, or name them after an ancestor or parent... It’s not like the kid gets any say in it, no matter what. If they hate it when they grow up, they can always get it changed. XD
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 06:34:58 PM »
I mean, maybe? Depending on the name, of course. I dislike overly “normal” names to begin with (my real name is Wraith, my father’s real name is Rock), so if there were a beautiful, usable name in MLP, why not?

Off the top of my head, names that would work for a human being: Ivy, Tempest, Medley, Serendipity, Avalonia, Nacht, Ember, Tabby...

The thing is, naming another person is always a selfish thing. Either you pick a name you like personally, or name them after an ancestor or parent... It’s not like the kid gets any say in it, no matter what. If they hate it when they grow up, they can always get it changed. XD

I have a cousin named Ember! I think it’s a beautiful name, as well as Ivy. Melody is another one that works for humans, as are Eve, Pearl, Flora and Sapphire. Honestly I think Fern, Firefly and Autumn are potential cute names, but I wouldn’t name a kid that because they’d get teased, sadly.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:41:26 PM by otocolobus_manul »
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 07:56:27 PM »
My daughters weren't named after ponies but their names could work for ponies, I guess. Rosie and Lily. I know there are some Rose and Lily ponies out there.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 08:54:06 PM »

I have a cousin named Ember! I think it’s a beautiful name, as well as Ivy. Melody is another one that works for humans, as are Eve, Pearl, Flora and Sapphire. Honestly I think Fern, Firefly and Autumn are potential cute names, but I wouldn’t name a kid that because they’d get teased, sadly.

Fern and Autumn are actual names yes. I was debating naming my daughter Autumn, but it would have been ironic since she was born in the summer.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:55:49 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 09:01:30 PM »
I'll never ever have kids so just being the peanut gallery, here, lol.

I think unless you're a super free spirit hippie type, a lot of pony names are a bit too "out there" for most humans.
And the ones that aren't entirely, to be real, bring to mind the old infamous internet game, "MLP or stripper name?" that has since been scrubbed from the internet. >_>

The only really viable ones I can see are Megan, Molly and Danny as others have said. And tbh, Megan and Molly are pretty cute for twin names.

Edit: My bad! People have totally brought up a few perfectly fine ones that work. I guess my mind just skipped a beat and thought immediately of like, "Moondancer," "Princess Peppermint," idk, the 'weird' ones lmao.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:03:28 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 09:17:17 PM »
As funny as it would be, I don’t think (if I ever did happen to become a parent) that shouting “surprise, denim and pinkie! Come here and clean this up!” Would go very well. I already have a strange enough name to English speakers, as my name is from Gaelic. I am Siobhan, and it’s pronounced “shuh-von”, because Gaelic is not optimized for the English language. My sisters are the same kind of name. A name is important, and I know how having a different or unusual name can be some times. You can get bullied, or made fun of because of that name. I wouldn’t name the poor kid after a pony character, but their name might have some similarity somewhere. Like rose or something. I don’t like overly common names. But I think twinkleshine or barnacle is out of the question.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Esbayne

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2020, 09:22:55 PM »
barnacle is out of the question

:lmao:

Aw come on, why not?

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mewtwofan1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2020, 09:26:55 PM »

Aw come on, why not?
I’m probably never going to live near the ocean so...why would I name my kid after a creature we are never going to see. Why name it after an animal at all?! That would be like naming the kid zebra or elephant.  :silly:

Offline Esbayne

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2020, 09:28:49 PM »

Aw come on, why not?
I’m probably never going to live near the ocean so...why would I name my kid after a creature we are never going to see. Why name it after an animal at all?! That would be like naming the kid zebra or elephant.  :silly:

Lol I was totally just being facetious, the idea of a kid named Barnacle just makes me laugh so hard, regardless of location.

Guess he could be called Barney? Lmfao.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE

Offline Mewtwofan1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2020, 09:35:22 PM »

Aw come on, why not?

Lol I was totally just being facetious, the idea of a kid named Barnacle just makes me laugh so hard, regardless of location.

Guess he could be called Barney? Lmfao.
Lol, I guess they could.
“Barnacle <lastname>?” “...present.”

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2020, 01:12:36 AM »
Did someone call me?  :P   
Nope, my nick is never going to be my real name. Up here if you think of Barney its either the darts player or a Flintstone.

On topic, I do have (used to love mlp) friends who named their daughter Medley. When I told them its cool they chose a pony name they were like "oh no we didn't want a pony name at all".  They only had the G4 names in their mind that they didn't want.
Luckily its also a common music word.

For myself I am not planning on having kids but for my pets I I would give them pony names if they don't have a name yet. One of my cats name is Spike. And its actually his shelter name when I got him.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:17:39 AM by Barnacle_lady »

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2020, 08:26:51 AM »
Nope because I don't want to have children :silly: And even if I did, what if it was a boy and he would get bullied at school for being named Wind Whistler or Fizzy?
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »
As funny as it would be, I don’t think (if I ever did happen to become a parent) that shouting “surprise, denim and pinkie! Come here and clean this up!” Would go very well. I already have a strange enough name to English speakers, as my name is from Gaelic. I am Siobhan, and it’s pronounced “shuh-von”, because Gaelic is not optimized for the English language. My sisters are the same kind of name. A name is important, and I know how having a different or unusual name can be some times. You can get bullied, or made fun of because of that name. I wouldn’t name the poor kid after a pony character, but their name might have some similarity somewhere. Like rose or something. I don’t like overly common names. But I think twinkleshine or barnacle is out of the question.
I didn't know for the longest time the logic of that pronunciation, so when I met an actual Irish person (Niamh, pronounced Neeve), I asked her & she said the a of Siobhan has an aw sound, so the name is pronounced ShuVAWN.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal