collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question About Basic Fun Ponies  (Read 1061 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Question About Basic Fun Ponies
« on: April 29, 2020, 04:01:17 AM »
Since I took a long break from MLP, I kind of missed out on the Basic Fun sets starting from the Unicorn & Pegisi set until now. When I found out all the ponies they've rereleased so far, I went to go and check out the new releases and saw a big case with five ponies in it and they're all scented. (The rainbow pony set I believe.) I thought it'd be a great way to go and get my collection a bit better until I started reading the reviews and saw that people were having problems with ponies yellowing due to the scent. I have a couple of questions regarding this set and especially the yellowing if you guys could help me out here...
1) How strong is the scent? I get migraines frequently and strong smells can trigger them, so it's kind of important I know this, LOL
2) If the scent is super strong, is there any way I can dull the scent?
3) How bad is the yellowing? From the reviews I've seen, the scent is what is particularly making these ponies yellow faster than normal. My question is how bad is it? Because if it's just as bad if not worse as some vintage ponies, I might as well just get the originals since these new ones can only (probably) get worse over time.
4) What is the quality of these ponies? I've seen some pictures and the head assembly on these ponies can be wonky at times, so my question is are they usually of quality or not? For reference, I do have three ponies from the first set that Basic Fun did put out if that helps.

5) I saw that there's also some other ponies like Pinwheel and Starflower also being released now. Are they also scented like the other rainbow ponies or not?

Thank you guys for any answers to my questions and just more info in general! I am totally out of the loop on these so any into helps at all!  :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Basic Fun Ponies
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 04:28:21 AM »
Hi, hope my reply helps.

2) maybe kitty litter, or the same methods you'd use for other smells.

3) it's really really bad. I've seen a yellowed scented pony in real life and it's just not worth it, unfortunately. Unless you plan on customizing it or if you don't care about yellowing.

5) they are not scented.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 05:16:37 AM »
The scent is not super strong. I'm not a fan of scented toys because I'm sensitive to smells so I was a bit weary about how the smell on these would be but I have not had any problems with it. In contrast - back in the day I bought 3 Sundae Best Ponies at the same time not knowing they were scented. They stunk up my room so bad I got a headache and we had to return the ponies. So far I have two out of the box of the scented Basic Fun ponies and sometimes I can feel a whiff of their scent but not in a strong way.

As for the yellowing it is bad and I saw yellowed ponies in the store - brand new ponies :(. As I remember Starshine, Moonstone and Sunlight were the worst ones but I did find a nice Sunlight. Now, I haven't seen her in a few months because I just moved recently and she's packed but she hadn't yellowed when I packed her and fingers crossed she hasn't yellowed when I unpack her.
I don't know if it's possible to sunfade the yellowing on these ponies. BTW, I think they also release these ponies later without the scent. I recall seeing some without the "Scented" text on the box. I don't know if they were scented or not. Hope someone can clear that up...

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 05:41:16 AM »
The quality of these arent bad, hair is nice and plastic is soft (though not as soft as the older ones)
If your sensitive to smells I suggest you get the non scented ponies. No yellowing or future possible migraines. Also I think they stopped selling the scented ponies??? Not 100% sure.

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 06:53:00 AM »
I haven't had any issues with yellowing yet.  But I have seen it in some in store. The ones in English language only boxes seem more prone than those in bilingual box. The US had a release of these unscented, but we didn't get them so I don't know what the quality difference is like.

They haven't released any more with scent, but the first set Rainbows are not so easy to get (note Sunlight is missing from the box set).

The scent is quite strong, but some are more so than others. That said, mine are inside my cupboard and I don't smell them when I open the door. Usually it's those wretched sundae best I smell instead.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 07:12:21 AM »
The scent on them is strong. Like you just hafta be in the same room and it'll hit you. They did remake them non- scented. I don't get it. The Sunny Scents aren't that strong and none of ours have yellowed.

I had to air mine out a lot, for it to simmer down into something you hafta stick your nose up too.

The yellowing depends I guess. My Sunlight came to me greenish because of it and my Moonstone has small yellowing here and there. My daughter's Starshine and Parasol so far are good to go.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:16:21 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 07:33:33 AM »
It's really hit or miss on the yellowing.  :(  The scents do fade a bit after awhile but depending on your airflow/setup, you may still notice it.

I think if you were going to spend the money, it would be better to buy the Basic Fun ponies that you would like in nice condition (paint and hair), especially the Wave2 Rainbows, but the vast majority of the ponies released are commons that you really don't need to spend $10-15 to acquire a brand-new Firefly. 

Mine still smell faintly but they are high up on my shelves so I don't sniff them.  Also no signs of yellowing yet, but... that could change.  Starshine is going to be in better shape MIB  than my childhood one ever will be! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 07:46:50 AM »
I just checked my  Basic Fun Rainbow Ponies. 3 of mine are scented and 3 are not. My Starshine has the strongest smell. Windy and Moonstone's smells are very faint.

My Starshine and Windy are in bilingual boxes

This is a pic that I took in stores to show the boxes.

My Moonstone is scented but is an English only box

The only one that is showing a little bit of yellowing so far is Windy.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 07:50:42 AM »
I get migraines due to smells.

I bought Moonstone. I did not find the initial scent to be completely overwhelming, and I think it's lessened with time.

It's been sitting in a drawer ever since. If I open the drawer, I don't smell it-- which means to me, it's not a strong scent. Approximately 1 foot away from my nose I can faintly smell it. And it's a medium strength smell if I put my nose to it. I find it less smelly then a scented candle, or incense, which both can bother me. And if I touch the pony, I get the scent on my fingers and have to wash my hands-- that bothers me the most.

As for yellowing. I think it might vary. My moonstone hasn't gotten any worse.. and it's pretty minimal. I would have no idea if it wasn't a mismatch of head vs body. But I know some are absolutely awful.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 06:49:15 PM »
Thank you all for your help, advice, and just general information. It really is a big help to me and I can't thank you guys enough. It's also good to know some are unscented as well  :)
I'm not exactly sure what my stances are now with these guys. I might just hold off for a while unless I see a pony that really catches my eye as a must-have.

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal