collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Classifying mlp gens by card suits?  (Read 784 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Classifying mlp gens by card suits?
« on: April 26, 2020, 05:21:42 PM »
Probably a weird topic to explore, but idle minds are left to wander. Anyway, there are 4 generations of MLP thus far, and in playing card decks, there are 4 “suits” that each card has. (Now I’m going to use the U.S. names for the symbols) There are hearts, clubs, diamonds, and spades. If you were to assign a generation of MLP to each one of the suits, how would which gen would be which suit?

I think I would have to put g2 as “clubs” since clubs are in the shape of a clover, and one of the very first (ok, really, the second) ponies From that generation is named “Clover Clever”. Additionally, it is said that the Club sign of club is the epitome of an element of earth, and g2 had a large focus on earth ponies.

And g4 I would have to put under “hearts”. The reason being- heart card suits represent the spring g season and the element of fire. The three tribes of ponies, according to FiM lore, came together under the “fire of friendship”, and I feel like g4 also came into the scene with a lot of heart through Lauren Faust, who had taken prior gens that impacted her childhood as inspiration for g4.

G1 I would put under “spades”, due to the crap being seen as a shovel and a sword in other countries. I think with the way that this generation’s pilot episode and how the series progresses- still having elements of D&D and just gritty adventures and characters the ponies interacted with, that card suit best attaches itself to this generation.

G3 I would probably put under “spades”. No other reason I can think of except that it’s the last remaining option.

But what suit would you guys choose for each gen?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Classifying mlp gens by card suits?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 05:44:39 PM »
This is so random, I love it!  :lol:

I think I would put G1s as hearts because imo they are the "cutesiest"

I would put G2s as diamonds because of the gems in their eyes that no other generation has

G4s would be spades because their animation seems the most angular to me and the spade always looks so pointy idk

G3s could be clubs because that is all that is left  :shrug:

Your reasoning for all of your picks seems solid too though!  I want to see other peoples' ideas!  If there is an eventual consensus could individual ponies or maybe species be assigned to the face cards? 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 07:22:14 PM »
I think G1 would be hearts, G3 would be spades because it looks like a heart upside down and G3 and G1 are the most similar. G2 would be diamonds, and G4 would be clubs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 07:45:27 PM »
I think G1 would be hearts, G3 would be spades because it looks like a heart upside down and G3 and G1 are the most similar. G2 would be diamonds, and G4 would be clubs.

I agree! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 03:15:59 AM »
I like the idea of G2 as diamonds, because of the eye crystals.

G1 could be heart because it's the most species and gender inclusive generation in the toyline. But the first pony with clover as a symbol was one of the very first MLPs ever, Minty, and one of the latest, Clover kind of speaks across the whole generation. So maybe clubs would work for them as well.

G3 could also be heart because of the little heart marks on the hoof.

That would leave G4 as spades. Which seems fitting to me. I'll save my reasoning why, but it involves the mane 6.

Rationale: I am defining based on toy lines, not tv shows, because frankly the TV shows only relevant to 1/4 generations and don't represent G1, G2 or G3 in any meaningful overall way. Whereas all four have toy lines, so it seems a more equal playing field.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:17:57 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal