collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I Need Help removing Hair Gel from Pony Hair!  (Read 1188 times)

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
I Need Help removing Hair Gel from Pony Hair!
« on: April 23, 2020, 10:19:24 AM »
I recently got a pony lot off of ShopGoodwill along with a ton of other ponies it came with the "Magic of Everypony Collection" set
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Well unfortunately most of them have this awful tough gel in their hair :yikes: I think they might have come that way but
the texture is just the worst I hate it! It almost feels like someone put glue in their hair.

I've tried washing with warm water and brushing through with conditioner multiple times but it still leaves a little left.

Maybe I should soak them? I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem...

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
Re: I Need Help removing Hair Gel from Pony Hair!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »
Have you tried boiling?

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 10:57:41 AM »
Stalking this. I got a few of these ponies from thrifting before everything went south and am not sure what to do. I think boiling is worth a shot.
Yes, this is an intended feature. I have this set MiB and the ponies with forelocks have their hair basically glued flat.

Sig by Starscout <3

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
Have you tried boiling?

No not yet! I've always been nervous about it cause I worry about melting the hair but it sounds like it might work!

Post Merge: April 23, 2020, 01:22:28 PM

Stalking this. I got a few of these ponies from thrifting before everything went south and am not sure what to do. I think boiling is worth a shot.
Yes, this is an intended feature. I have this set MiB and the ponies with forelocks have their hair basically glued flat.
I just don't understand, the point is to be able to brush their hair, how can you brush it if they have gross gluey gel in their hair! :stressed:

I'll make sure to update if I have any success, so far the washing and conditioning has gotten a good bit out but there remains some residue that hardens back up after drying. I might try soaking in warm soapy water before I boil!

ps I love your username tealeaf!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:23:25 PM by PrincessKittyDragon »

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 01:38:22 PM »
Thank you!  :lovey:
I will say as a fan who started off with FiM it is sort of nice to have the MiB on display because of the show-accurate manes, but if this was meant more as an adult collectible than a brushable toy, it should have been a comiccon exclusive or something to hint to that...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 01:59:36 PM »
Have you tried boiling?

No not yet! I've always been nervous about it cause I worry about melting the hair but it sounds like it might work!

It actually doesn't, I've boiled many of ponies :) if you're worried just keep an eye on them

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:51:38 AM »
Thank you!  :lovey:
I will say as a fan who started off with FiM it is sort of nice to have the MiB on display because of the show-accurate manes, but if this was meant more as an adult collectible than a brushable toy, it should have been a comiccon exclusive or something to hint to that...

I know that feeling, I do like show accurate hair. It wouldn't be too bad if mine were in good condition but sadly they got gross dirt in the gel :X

On that note I wish they'd kept producing the first style of FiM brushables where they had lil bangs, it was cute and show accurate!

Post Merge: April 24, 2020, 09:52:03 AM

Have you tried boiling?

It actually doesn't, I've boiled many of ponies :) if you're worried just keep an eye on them

I'll have to give it a try! ovo

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
Oh my goodness, it's so funny you posted this today...I just bought this set on Ebay as well (because they were the only G4 brushables I could find with show-accurate bangs!) and I searched the internet high and low for an answer to get the glue out, with no luck.

I tried washing, boiling (that just made a big old gooey mess) and a fine comb. What finally did the trick was soaking the affected hair in Goof-Off pro-strength remover. I had gone to the lengths of ordering a second set of ponies in case this destroyed them! I was looking for Goo Gone, but options were limited at the Dollar General near me, and we live in a remote area and I knew with the quarantine I wouldn't be hitting a Walmart any time soon, so I took a chance and bought this.

It worked. I recommend gloves of some sort; the chemical melted right through the food service-grade latex ones I used, so I'd try something different if you have them. It's a tedious process, since you still have to comb the adhesive out with a metal fine-toothed comb, but it does break down the glue. Once you get it all out, wash the hair, condition it, and style it as normal! I have before and after pictures I took, but I don't know how to post pictures on here. It didn't seem to damage the pony or the hair in any way. I hope this helps!

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 02:21:04 PM »
Ohh, I used to use Goof-Off for everything pony related! It was basically my acetone. I do have some Goo-Gone (somewhere..) that I might try to use instead since I've run out. I wonder if acetone would do something similar.

Sig by Starscout <3

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »
Oh my goodness, it's so funny you posted this today...I just bought this set on Ebay as well (because they were the only G4 brushables I could find with show-accurate bangs!) and I searched the internet high and low for an answer to get the glue out, with no luck.

I tried washing, boiling (that just made a big old gooey mess) and a fine comb. What finally did the trick was soaking the affected hair in Goof-Off pro-strength remover. I had gone to the lengths of ordering a second set of ponies in case this destroyed them! I was looking for Goo Gone, but options were limited at the Dollar General near me, and we live in a remote area and I knew with the quarantine I wouldn't be hitting a Walmart any time soon, so I took a chance and bought this.

It worked. I recommend gloves of some sort; the chemical melted right through the food service-grade latex ones I used, so I'd try something different if you have them. It's a tedious process, since you still have to comb the adhesive out with a metal fine-toothed comb, but it does break down the glue. Once you get it all out, wash the hair, condition it, and style it as normal! I have before and after pictures I took, but I don't know how to post pictures on here. It didn't seem to damage the pony or the hair in any way. I hope this helps!

That's a great idea! I'll have to get my hands on some and a metal comb, Thanks a ton owo

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 02:32:15 AM »
I was gonna suggest soaking it in rubbing alcohol! I think that's how you get rid of old stickers, right? And that's adhesive too! Good luck!!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal