collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Week of April 7: COVID-19 info, facts & updates  (Read 4758 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Week of April 7: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« on: April 07, 2020, 10:10:05 AM »
Hi guys,
Because the other thread is already massive, I am going to be locking the COVID-19 threads each weekend and starting a new one.
Links to old threads will be included.

We are a global community. Let's keep each other posted about the real state of events.

Discussion is welcome.
NO FEAR MONGERING

1. Where do you live?
2. What is the current climate like where you're at?
3. Are news reports coming from your area accurate or no? What is going on?
4. What are your questions and concerns?
5. What has your government / administration done to address this (please try to keep this as politics free as possible, it is fine to state whether you agree/disagree with their actions etc) and, in your opinion, how is it working? Ex: Shelter in place orders, curfews, closures
6. Is your job affected, if so, how?
7. How are you and your family doing??

MLP Arena, our staff, and our members, are unable to provide any medical advice or diagnoses.
This is a new disease, which means that even the experts are learning as we go and the situation is rapidly evolving. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the WHO (World Health Organization) website for information about the coronavirus, and the respiratory illness it causes, COVID-19:

Prevention, health, travel and safety guidance:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Symptoms:
https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_3

FAQ:
https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

Dispelling Myths / Misinformation:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

CDC guidance:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Archived Discussions

March 12 - 21: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398121.0.html
March 21 - 30: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398198.0.html
Marth 31 - April 7: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398270.0.html

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
Re: Week of April 7: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »
Kansas is up to 900 and 27 deaths. Still no new ones in my county.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 12:06:12 PM »
Florida has 14,504 cases and 283 deaths. There was a weird lull in new cases for one day but then it shot back up again. I'm unsure where testing sites are currently since they closed a few soon after they opened. I think the big ones are still operating (Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa). About 10.5% tested are positive. Almost 2000 people are hospitalized. Nearly 500 of infections are in tourists.

The Governor finally got a smack of reality and is now kind of scrambling to do things that should have been done a long time ago. Most people are feeling it's too little too late.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 01:40:09 PM »
Germany here. 107000 people infected, about 2000 people died, 43932 people recovered.

I (hand)sewed my own masks today because there is no way (unless you seriously overpay) to get a "real" one. Those paperlike masks are about affordable (2€ per piece at the store I work at) but they are that type you need to throw away after a few hours. Saves money and enviroment to wear a cloth mask, so thats pretty nice :)

Otherwise... we are coping ok here I think. We are really afraid to catch the disease because 4/4 people in my close family have asthma and my dad also has COPD. It would be really bad for us to catch it. :/ But we are fine with staying at home. Me and my husband go to work and do the groceries and other than that we all stay home. We are safe here now :)

Please stay safe my pony-friends! <3 I hope you are all fine!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 01:44:39 PM »
State parks are closing as people continue to gather outside in large numbers and aren't listening.
We've got about 100 police, firefighters, etc. test positive in Philly.
We aren't being required to wear masks at work yet but we did finally get allowed to just *wear* them. I had no clue that they weren't allowed before, it sounds so silly and dangerous.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 03:45:19 PM »
Germany are the best nation in W. Europe at the moment for testing.

@Black Curtains - I heard your governor speak about not having the right to close religious services or something, I just hope that people are able to find other ways to worship with Easter in the offing. Wishing all the best for FL. Hopefully the warm weather theory will work out there and help drop the cases.

Overview in spoiler since we;ve a new thread.
Spoiler

1. Where do you live?
- Welsh borders, UK.
2. What is the current climate like where you're at? -
Nationally - just over 6000 people have died with covid a contributor, possibly more in the community but not tested so unconfirmed.
Around 55000 people diagnosed. There is no official recovery rate figure released and the above are for all four nations within the UK.

West Midlands is 2nd worst affected area in the UK. We're kind of sandwiched between that hot spot and mid-Wales, where cases are also rising. Our borough has around 75 cases and the joint total across our health trust is around 30 which is much less than in the wider West Mids but still not very good.

Schools closed. All stores closed. Essential travel and work only. Borders (internal and external) remain open.

3. Are news reports coming from your area accurate or no? What is going on?

I saw an article from CNN claiming the UK govt have not asked for or accepted any foreign aid or info on this disease. That's untrue. To be frank, the UK govt were slow on their response to COVID and we'd be in a bigger mess if not for the help of other nations in both scientific research/data and physical supplies such as extra ventilators.

Local news are reporting pretty up to the minute stuff though working from home. They're not doing too bad a job.

4. What are your questions and concerns?

The number of tests - this is restricted by lack of reagents and that's a large part because of global competition for these chemicals. We need more testing although it is going up. There is a project at Cambridge to use a different testing system that is quicker and which may well help that, but it's how long it will take to roll out.

It worries me all the reports about the competition between US states for supplies and the stories of Trump enacting Defence Act to prevent supplies from going to other places, as that's going to have a global impact on the costs and the lives of other people undergoing this crisis. I really hope better systems can be worked out. I never know what to believe from Trump's speeches but reassured he said he was talking to the UK govt about Ventilators which makes me feel like there is a solution being sought to the competition.

We are producing our own new ventilators and CPAP devices now but the testing still seems to be a problem and no antibody test has been accurate enough yet to meet UK standards.

5. What has your government / administration done to address this (please try to keep this as politics free as possible, it is fine to state whether you agree/disagree with their actions etc) and, in your opinion, how is it working? Ex: Shelter in place orders, curfews, closures

Lockdown since 23rd March where essential journeys and work only permitted. Borders are still open to facilitate trade and repatriation. Regular briefings including stats of the science.

I think they were slow to begin with and could have done more in January/February, but I agree with the lockdown and am resigned it will continue. I wish the delivery slot congestion was more easily resolved.

My frustration is the minority of covidiots breaking lockdown for their own stupid reasons.

6. Is your job affected, if so, how?

I am between uni and work, the jobs I applied for got cancelled and the programmes disappeared, my field disappeared onto hiatus as Japan was affected early on and still is, all major conferences are also cancelled, I am stuck at home with parents longer than original planned.

7. How are you and your family doing??

There are 2 subjects of conversation in this house other than the crisis. One - delivery slots. Two - how to get rid of the rat in the garden. Literally that's how exciting life is. Getting parents to take hygiene rules for covid seriously has been a battle but is working. Mum is stir crazy and gets annoyed if she can't go out. But I think we're surviving. Just about.

Sister stuck in Oxford and can't come home. Haven't seen her since she was home for my birthday in Feb and she wasn't entirely well then (Glandular Fever we think). She's recovered now but didn't risk coming home before the lockdown because she'd been in contact with a colleague who maybe had the virus (Naynie didn't catch it) and then lockdown happened. We'll be doing Easter via skype, just like we did Mother's Day :/

UK Gov official information including regional stats (London boroughs are listed individually, not as a collective).
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-track-coronavirus-cases
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:54:42 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 04:55:59 PM »
The local church centre here is closed, & I hear most churches can only hold funerals. Services, weddings, coffee mornings  :sad: & any other functions are currently not happening. A fellow member of a UK forum has had his wedding postponed.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 07:04:33 PM »
The governor closed the state parks today.

In my county there 191 cases, 6 deaths, 29 currently hospitalized and 41 cases recovered. Just over 2,000 have been tested.  Everyone is being encouraged to wear face coverings while outside except for those that are very young or not able to remove the covering on their own. In the city press conference we were strongly urged not to gather in the city parks for get togethers on Easter. We're being told to follow the guidelines "for a little while" and yet also being told that it will at least be a couple of months before we can expect things to be normal.

The largest grocery store chain in the city is going to start limiting how many customers can be inside the store at a time and also enforce  one way lanes in the store.  The mayor said they will be looking at dollar stores to make sure social distancing guidelines are being followed.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 12:05:58 AM »
The local church centre here is closed, & I hear most churches can only hold funerals. Services, weddings, coffee mornings  :sad: & any other functions are currently not happening. A fellow member of a UK forum has had his wedding postponed.

All houses of worship of any kind are closed here since lockdown began but there are a lot of issues apparently in Birmingham and surrounds with Muslim families/groups getting together privately in shops and things (a lot of corner shops and so on are owned by Muslim families in that area).

Since religious gatherings have produced clusters in countries all over the world (due to the close nature of them), it makes sense to postpone them/take them online, but for people who have very strong faith I think that at this time they feel they need that reassurance more than ever.

Bit of a vicious circle really, but it's certainly had an impact on cases in that area.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 08:06:45 AM »
Our new death figure is 2248, but the positive news is that less people are on IC.
Yesterday there was a press conference. Ofcourse warning people to stay inside as much as possible and people from abroad not come over here.

There was also an announcement about apps that are being developed so you can see if you are nearby people with corona. Or that you can see you have had it. The main issue is the privacy. But my personal opinion (and I really don't mean it rude) that people who think they have "something" are going to hang on it too much.

Tonight is Passover evening. I was supposed to celebrate it at a couple since the synagogue canceled the physical service. But a week ago they canceled because one of them got sick. And with corona around it wouldn't be wise to be there at this moment. I know I can follow the service online but its way different than being with friends and family.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 08:22:10 AM »
Frustrating that stats are meant to be reported at 2pm but keep lagging because of the number of regions that have to be collated on top of the four nations.

PM still in ICU but stable and apparently doing OK there.

Deaths up - scientists warned of this, but also possible it's to do with lag. It's not nice either way.

Our washing machine is working, the guys were masked up and everything and looked like paramedics.

Weather is lovely at least. Gardening is possible.

Wales confirmed their lockdown will continue after the 3 weeks. I think it unlikely the restrictions will be lifted in other parts of the UK either.

Peak expected in the next week or 10 days.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 08:45:00 AM »
As of yesterday there are 1,149 cases in KY. We were told that I think it was 54 have since recovered but there were also 7 new deaths.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »
Our washing machine is working, the guys were masked up and everything and looked like paramedics.

I'm glad you got your washing machine fixed! During this time our drier broke and we haven't been able to get it fixed or get a new one. I've never had to hang my clothes up, and I hate the way they feel. I suppose I've been spoiled by always having a drier.

It's a minor issue to have right now, though, no doubt about that.

|My Collection|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 12:28:27 PM »
Ohio is doing great with it's leadership...  With our numbers, we certainly are flattening our curve... I don't expect major unexpected changes in the next week or too. I look forward to the day that we can test people after the fact to see if they had it or not.

Unfortunately our churches are still open. Even when our governor shut down things very early after our first community spread case -- he doesn't want to trample first amendment rights to practice religion. (sigh) All he will do is tell them to please not gather... *many* are listening, but some won't. He's pretty firm on not changing this.

Our telehealth appointment went ok. Luckily we don't have to go into the hospital, nor will a nurse come here-- for now.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 01:39:51 PM »
Kansas has hit 4 digits. 1,046 and 38 deaths. 2 new cases have popped up in my county (including one I heard on the scanner).
Our stay at home order has been modified to include churches, etc. too.

Edit: Check that. The KS legislative council just overturned the ban on religious gatherings.

There's a promising new plasma treatment being tried: https://www.yahoo.com/news/plasma-treatment-being-tested-york-213100838.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:54:36 PM by lonewolf »

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal