collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunfading... with a UV lamp!  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Sunfading... with a UV lamp!
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
So I have a Nightglider that has what looks like Sharpie marks on her nose. I've seen some discussion about using UV lamps to sunfade, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it. And since I happen to have a UV bulb, I decided to actually try it!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm hoping this will be faster than the weak spring sun here. I'll monitor her progress and document it here.

(Hope no one thinks any less of me for using a rarer pony as a guinea pig  ^^; None of the other ponies I have have such drastic marks though. I figured it was better to use something that would be obvious if it improved)

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Sunfading... with a UV lamp!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 11:59:47 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the results!

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 12:23:16 PM »
For me it didn't work but I hope that doesn't discourage you from trying.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
I'll be interested to see how it goes.  I have wondered about UV lights for this...it SEEMS like it should work? 

With marks that bad on her nose I doubt anyone will fault you for trying it out!  You obviously took precautions with the foil there.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 03:07:20 PM »
I’m looking forward to seeing how this goes. Thank you for experimenting and documenting the process. This is how we learn!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 11:02:52 PM »
Can't wait to find out the results. As you say, this is something that many people have discussed but results haven't really been posted so we are all unsure as to how well it will or will not work. Night Glider also deserves to be restored IMO. I have a very bait one waiting for lockdown to end before she is sent to me so I am glad you chose her for your test subject as well  :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 11:28:53 PM »
Oh an arena science experiment! I hope you have success, and can report on your methods so others may try. I for one have my doubts about sun fading over here, since we don’t get a lot of strong sunlight. A UV lamp alternative would be useful for those of us in these kinds of areas. Good luck, and I hope it goes well. Even if it doesn’t, the results have been documented for restoration purposes.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 05:42:31 AM »
I am curious how this turns out. Good luck!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 07:38:59 AM »
I hope it goes well! I've seen people use Retrobrite with a UV curing lamp and I wonder if it's the same strength as the bulb or what...if the bulb fails maybe a nail curer would be the way to go.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 02:32:27 PM »
Wow, this is interesting - I'm looking forward to see the results!
I have zero experience with artificial UV (never been to a solarium or had my nails done), but if it omits UVA rays, in theory it should work. While UVB is often considered the be the worse out of these two rays because of its immediately visible effects (sunburn), on the long run it is UVA that is worse - it does not burn your skin, but this is what is causing the skin to age (+also skin cancer), and objects to fade (which is exactly what you need for sunfading). Frickin UVA passes through windows (thus while you cannot get sunburn through the window, objects exposed to a lot of natural light in the window - like ponies :) - will fade) and even clouds, so it is there, affecting your skin even on cloudy days.
Do you have any way to find it out what type of UV comes out of the lamp? Maybe the reason why it did not work for some people  was because it is not omitting the right type of UV?

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 10:01:49 AM »
An update!

It's not really obvious in the picture, but I think there's been a little improvement so far. I'll wait longer for the next update and hopefully there'll be more appreciable progress by then.  ^.^

Do you have any way to find it out what type of UV comes out of the lamp? Maybe the reason why it did not work for some people  was because it is not omitting the right type of UV?

That's a good question! I looked into it and indeed most true blacklights emit UVA. I do know a lot of 'blacklights' out there (specifically incandescent ones) don't actually emit a lot of UV light, so if someone uses one of those then it might not work.
If nothing else, I could also try putting her next to one of my gecko's cages - they have full-spectrum mercury bulbs in their lamps. :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal