collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLPArena Nirvana Spotlight: Mexico by Shelti and Scarlet  (Read 2876 times)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
MLPArena Nirvana Spotlight: Mexico by Shelti and Scarlet
« on: March 28, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »
Mexican My Little Ponies

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This Article was written and compiled by Shelti and Scarlet with help from diana_arcuri and CuteyStorm

I am going to quote some information in this article from my friend, Peppermint Truly's web site "Mexico Pony Paradise". Some of the ponies she has listed on her web site (with no pictures just descriptions) may exist or the may not, and until they step forward into view they are only speculation.

I strongly suggest you visit Mexico Pony Paradise for pictures of Mexico ponies and more information. There is quite a collection of pictures of Mexico ponies and variants at this site. At the time of writing this article Peppermint Truly was not available for technical advice about Mexico ponies, but she is truly the expert and spent a lot of time putting her website Mexico Pony Paradise together.

Lily Ledy and Auriken: Two producers

I want to also Thank Scarlet. She has supplied information for this article and also provided ponies and information to Peppermint Truly which were used on the Mexico Pony Paradise web page, and I consider her our resident Mexico pony expert.

This information was supplied by her, and makes a lot of sense:

\"Lily Ledy was the first Mexican brand that was working under license of some European brands that gave them permission to manufacture certain toys in Mexico. That was from 1982-1984. There were many orders from people that wanted to have Lily Ledy toys but there were not enough toys being produced to deliver. Brand Pypsa tried to rescue it and bought Lily Ledy but couldn't afford the costs. Auriken tried the same thing and bought the rights of Lily Ledy to continue manufacturing toys including the mould ponies but they were not given permission to use the stamp / seal made in Mexico. They could not afford to continue making the toy either and finally Hasbro bought the rights of all of that chain of little brands back. Hasbro decided they were only going to only manufacture their toy brands in China and Hong Kong because it was more cost effective then to have each Country making toys for their own market and in their own packaging. It made it much easier for Hasbro to control their products by doing so.\"

There were two Makers of My Little Ponies in Mexico in the 1980's, both licensed by Hasbro.

The first Company was Lily Ledy which only produced the first set of Collector Ponies: Blue Belle, Cotton Candy, Blossom, Snuzzle, Butterscotch, Minty plus Peachy and Lemon drop. But they were produced in two sets, flat feet and concaved feet, with very different body styles for both sets. Lily Ledy clearly marked the feet of the ponies they produced with their stamps. They also produced other popular toys from the 1980's such as Strawberry Shortcake, Star Wars, Cabbage Patch Kids, Care Bears, G.I. Joe, Spiderman, and others

Auriken which was a large Company making toys for several other brands, took over making MY Little Pony when the Lily Ledy Factory burned down. They were the major maker of almost all of the My Little Ponies that were released in Mexico including another set of collector pose ponies.

According to Mexico Pony Paradise:

\"Auriken also chose to import several ponies. They imported ponies and translated the boxes and cards to Spanish, printing their logo on them. It is believed they did this because of the limited amount of ponies they were producing. Since there was such a high demand, it was cheaper for them to produce small amounts of ponies and import the rest. This also allowed them to offer ponies with release dates closer to US release dates.\"

Mexican Features: Feet

There are several versions of Mexico Ponies Feet where the collector poses Mexico pony is concerned.

Lily Ledy Con Caved Feet, Lily Ledy Flat Feet and Auriken Flat feet

I also found a picture of an Auriken Cotton Candy with small con caves in the back feet.

I would like to thank exin_goblin (from eBay) for permission to use this picture

The Lily Ledy ponies, whether the concaved version or the flat foot version are marked with writing. They are marked Mexico with a very distinct stamp on the left front foot bottom. They are stamped Lily Ledy on the right front foot bottom.

The Auriken ponies with flat feet have a very distinct look. Their flat feet are somewhat splayed out like the foot of an elephant and even if the Lily Ledy pony had no stamp it would not be confused for an Auriken pony. Note the angle and shape of the feet patterns are also very different between all 3 mould types.

Auriken produced their set of Collector pose ponies with flat feet, but as can be seen with the Cotton Candy pony, not quite true and looking at the later Auriken produced ponies: Prince ponies, Rainbow, Sundae Best, Earth ponies and others, the feet still have no writing on them and they can be concaved or a mix of both. Even the same pony can have a variation of the feet as in the Perfume Puff parlour pony (shown below).

Thank you Scarlet for this picture of the Perfume Puff Parlour Pony

Apple Jack, Banana Surprise, Swirly Whirly

Starshine, Peppermint Crunch

Thanks to exin_goblin (from eBay) for permission to use these 5 pictures

My first thought about the feet was, on the ground flat, raised con caved, but as seen by these pictures of like body moulds, that is not a true assumption.

It does seem the baby ponies and twins produced by Auriken all have con caved feet.

The feet were not the only difference between the mould styles, even within the Lily Ledy Company. Lily Ledy besides making the collector pose ponies with flat and concaved feet, also made different body configurations of the collector pose ponies. One mould style, the con caved foot Lily Ledy, the pony's front legs are shorter, which gives her a tipsy appearance and she looks to be standing on her front toes. And yet the Lily Ledy Flat Foot pony is the same body size and style as the normal US version Collector Pose pony and stands very squarely. The body material is a bit courser to the feel (heavier in make-up), but still has a semi slick appearance to it.

Mexican Features: Body

The Auriken collector pose pony on the other hand fits right in between the two Lily Ledy body styles in size. The body material is much softer and has a slick feel to the finish, much like the ponies produced in Brazil. This is not just the case with the collector pose ponies, but all the Auriken ponies.

Mexico Pony Paradise Regarding Mexico Pony Material Characteristics

\"Their plastic is softer, most of the times it's squishier around their tummies and harder at their feet. It doesn't have a high quality, so they often get \"wrinkles\" under their bellies. However, for certain ponies (those in Skydancer's pose), their plastic seems to be harder and of different texture.\"

Mexican Features: Eyes

The eyes are also different between the two manufactures. The Lily Ledy eyes are large with a heavy flat paint look to them, with dark upper eye liner which extends slightly past the outer edge of the eye. They have two upper lashes and two lower lashes.

The Auriken pony's eyes are smaller and have a shiny paint look to them. At least in the collector pose mould, there is a heavier eye liner along the bottom part of the eye that sweeps out towards the outer edge. The shape of the eye lash seems to have been up to the talent of the person painting them on. From the varied eye and liner formation, it's pretty clear the actual eyes were stamped with the fine touches being hand done. The white dot within the black also can vary in size and location within the eye.

The Mexico Pony Paradise web site describes the collector pose eyes:

\"For collector ponies their eyes show stronger lines, and their left eye is distinctively larger than their right one. (This applies for all versions of collector ponies except Lily Ledy Flat Feet Ponies).\"

I found this not always the case, my Auriken flat foot bluebell has the left eye larger than the right eye, but my Auriken flat foot Minty, both eyes are the same size, small. My con caved foot Lily Ledy Minty, both eyes are also the same size. But the uncommon sized left eye is a clear indicator of a pony being from Mexico.

Mexico Features: Heads and Hair

Lily Ledy also glued the heads on to their ponies Auriken did not. I have found the con caved version Collector pose ponies have the line-up marks on the front of the neck. The flat footed version does not. The Auriken pony also has the line-up marks on the front of the neck. The heads of the Lily Ledy and Auriken collector pose ponies seem to be smaller appearing at the neck line then the body side of the neck line, leaving a ridge appearance with the body appearing larger than the head.

Hair of the Mexico ponies varies as to texture. It is also prone to fading and frizzes easily. This may be due to the materials which were available for manufacturing at the time and why the hair varies so much. The hair is usually very long, both the mane and tail and they have long forelocks/bangs.

The mane is sown in two rows, except in the case of the Prince ponies which have 3 rows on top. The tails are held in place with a clamped over piece of metal with a pull string in the centre or a large Lead washer. This was used to pull the tail into the body cavity and then the metal was clamped to keep the tail from being pulled back out. The clamped over washer looks much the same as the washers used to keep Italian ponies tails in place. I found in checking my own Collector pose ponies, both Lily Ledy and Auriken collector pose have a heavy lead washer. Of course lead is something which causes health problems so please remember this if handling or disposing of such a washer. It does not cause tail rust like so many other Collector pose ponies suffer from.

Lily Ledy Minty, Auriken Prince Pony

I do not have other versions of ponies, other than my prince ponies (all of which have the metal clamp) or the collector pose ponies to compare other methods of securing the tail. My one set of twins (rattles and tattles) also have the clamped over metal with the pull string. These clamp overs can cause rusting of the hair. It may be the Lead washers Auriken used at some point became illegal to use because of health issues and they switched over to the clamp over method.

The Mexico Pony Paradise web site describes the tails this way:

\"Their tails are usually held with some sort of cord or string. It usually even pokes out of their tail holes. There are certain ponies that have their tails held with some sort of wax\"

Variations to Mexico Ponies and additional ponies

There are a number of variations in colour, symbols and hair within the Mexico Ponies made by Auriken. The Sundae Best Ponies and Prince ponies are two good examples of Variants in colour and style. Because there are so many variations as far as symbol size, and I think there are 3 different versions along of Skydancer, I once again suggest using the Mexico Pony Paradise web site as a good starting point and reference guide to some of these variations.

diana_arcuri had some information on accessories which came with twin ponies \"Ohhh and also, a little detail I found by chance today, I remember that Newborn twins had their accessories. By looking at Dream Valley's page, if you look at Year 5 ponies, scroll down to Newborn twins and their photos. I can tell you that I found a piece of the old accessories that came with my ponies, if you look at the pics of Dibbles and Nibbles, you see them in a canopy with pink \"bassinet\" I have a yellow bassinet. Maybe, as stated in the green letters there, it's a different accessories version. I don't remember the colour of the canopy (I believe that it was aqua) I believe that Rattles and Tattles stroller is the same colour as stated there.\"

She also remembers Loving family Ponies were sold in a store in Mexico.

\"I remember that when I was little, there were loving families sold in Mexico, I'm not sure about them, or the boxes where they came. But I do remember that they came all together in one box. I saw a box of Apple Delight family in a store when I was little, I wanted so much those ponies, but I could never get them. It was later when I saw pictures of MIP family ponies where I knew that in other places they weren't sold as one-box sets. I could be wrong... but this is a strong childhood memory I have and looking at how some ponies were brought and placed in boxes here in Mexico, then it's something that could be valid.\"

It's been pretty well determined Big Brother Ponies were never made or released in Mexico. The Prince Ponies, which were variants of their US Princess Pony counterparts, are as close as we get to BB ponies in Mexico. The back of the Box for Mexico Prince Ruby shows the entire set of 2nd Release Princess ponies, but only the 3 Prince Ponies which were released in Mexico have writing on the balloons above them: Prince Emerald (Moondust), Prince Ruby (Dawn) and Prince Sapphire (Misty)

Mexico Baby Sea Ponies

Acuarela / Watercolor seem to be the only version of Baby Sea Pony to date which have been found.

diana_arcuri related in a Nirvana thread about Mexico Baby Sea Ponies \"I received 2 Seaponies when I was little. I have that one (referring to the pinkish Salty/Misty version) and the yellow one. Looking at the back card below, the yellow Mexico Water Colour sea baby pony would be Spray. This would be Foamy according to MOC comparison with pony colour and float Thank you Sea Pony Utopia web site for a Foamy comparison picture.\"

The following information was supplied for this article in an email with pictures of her ponies.

\"What I do remember is that my yellow sea pony came with a blue frog (?) floater. By looking at the images of sea ponies fromwww.mylittleponycollector.com, it's the same description... It matches Foamy's description, including the floater. Also, Misty's description matches, including the purple duck floater. My purple duck floater and it has a mark that says �1984 HASBRO INC. on the bottom. What I can say is that the plastic never seemed as bright as in the photo included on the MLP collector's website... My pony was always a pale colour and Misty is made of a harder plastic than Foamy.
Something that I have to say, my parents gave me this ponies when I was little, I'm sure they came in a box. But they both have markings.

Misty has a mark that says \"1984�HASBRO\"

and Foamy has an (ALMOST UNREADABLE) mark \"1986�HASBRO\"

There is no Country initial noted on either one of her ponies.

Thank you to CuteyStorm who supplied some of the Mexico Baby sea pony pictures and following information:

Baby sea ponies have no country of origin on the bottoms of them (at least none of the ones i'm looking at). Her hair seems different in addition to her float. i don't have my American one's comb so i don't know the difference there. But her ribbon is a different colour and it's a lot thicker (width wise) than an American ribbon.

Mexico Baby Sea Pony Salty
MOC Misty and information Courtesy of Sea Pony Utopia

Thank you to Scarlet who supplied the following Mexico Baby sea pony pictures and information:

\"I'm sure the Mexican sea ponies have different shape on hair and body I don't think it's made in china and then came here and used the box, I have the orange one and a green one with floats, there's no stamp on bottom or tail.\"

There are 3 Water Colour Baby Sea Ponies listed and named on the Mexico back card as seen in the picture. So as we see with the Mexico Prince Ponies, only 3 Baby Sea ponies can be expected to be found which were made by Auriken for the Mexican market. They are Salty, Spray and Surfy. They appear much like the other Water Colour babies made, except for slight differences as mentioned above by people who have them in their collections. And as seen in the pictures the hair appears to be much longer then their other Country counterparts. They also appear to have no Country stamped on the bottom of the curl of the tail.

As you can see the Mexico Pony is a Very worthy Pony to Collect. Because the ponies have hand painted on Symbols there is a wide range of differences to look for. Not only can a collector look for Variations of the same pony, but variations in the make-up of the eyes and symbol size or perhaps even the number of symbols a pony may have.

LIST OF MEXICAN PONIES supplied by Scarlet along with pictures of her collection

LILY LEDY with seal stamped on the foot / Con caved feet & Flat Feet
Collector Pose
Cotton Candy
Minty
Bluebelle
Blossom
Butterscotch
Snuzzle

The face was different on Lily Ledy ponies; they had a cuter face than Auriken.

The Mexican Pony Paradise web page also refers to Lemon drop and Peachy as being part of the original run of Collector pose Ponies made by Lily Ledy, but there are no pictures on the web page of these ponies either con caved or flat feet. There is a picture of Peachy in the Arena Gallery, but no indication of who she was made by. I do have a Flat foot Lily Ledy Minty in my personal collection so we can assume that Lily Ledy made Stamped Flat feet of at least the Big 6 also.

AURIKEN non sealed, flat foot
Cotton Candy pink hair
Cotton Candy with white hair
Blossom
Blossom ( there are some variants in the eyes, the hair, the foot, the body)
Minty (some variants in the eyes, the hair, the foot, the body)
Butterscotch (some variants in the eyes, the hair, the foot, the body)
Bluebelle (some variants in the eyes, the hair was longer than lily ledy, the foot, the body)
Snuzzle (some variants in the eyes, the hair, the foot, the body)
Peachy (some variants, one was pink body hair, and purple hearts.)

AURIKEN BABY PONIES
Blossom concave
Cotton Candy concave
Quackers concave
Baby Blossom with wings concave
2 little twins Pegasus concave - Nibbles and Dibbles (name supplied by diana_arcuri)
Rattles and Tattles
North Star
Moondancer
Baby Glory

There were other babies in the picture on the box's these babies came in. But it appears that perhaps Auriken did not have time to make them before they went bankrupt.

AURIKEN ADULT EARTH PONIES
Applejack (variations in long hair, symbols, and colour symbols)
Bowtie (variations in body colour to grey and hair type with curl and colour
Cherries Jubilee (variations in body size and symbols)
Posey (variations in hair colour and symbols, one with different colour mane pink and white)
Blossom in cherries jubilee pose (one with straight hair and the other with curly hair)

UNICORNS
Moondancer
Twilight variants with mane colour one is purple the other lilac or seems
Starflower (variants in symbols, mane colours, eyes)
Pinwheel (variants in positions and kind of symbols, mane colours, eyes)

PEGASUS
Medley (green colour body and rainbow hair)
Firefly (pink with rainbow hair)
Skydancer (3 variants, in hair colours, and the symbols)
Starshine (never seen this with nice symbol)

SUNDAE BEST
Peppermint CRUNCH
Peppermint Crunch white and purple hair
Banana Surprise
Banana Surprise white and purple hair
Swirly Whirly
Swirly Whirly white and purple hair

PRINCE
Prince Moondust
Prince Sapphire
Prince Dawn

MEXICAN EXCLUSIVES
Perfume puff pink pony with stars

FLUTTER
Tall, leggy pony in Flutter mould with purple mane and tail, long hair. Mexican flutter mould, but it doesn't have the wings or clamps on the back for wings.

Note from Shelti: And once again I want to thank everyone who helped to compile and supply information for this spot.

A big thank you got Shelti :missy:  who saved each of the spotlights. This spotlight was first published in 2006.

Please respect the Nirvana Spotlights and the MLParena and do not take pictures or information for use on eBay, personal sales or webpages. The Nirvana Spotlights were kindly written and donated to the MLParena by members for use here only.

RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: MLPArena Nirvana Spotlight: Mexico by Shelti and Scarlet
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 12:38:19 AM »
Thank you for this, love the spotlights! Personally I am already a Mexican pony convert: I have 3 so far and plan on getting some more in the future. I particularly like Starflower with the orange hair stripe. I don't have her as yet though.

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 08:09:07 AM »
I adore Mexican ponies! I just have the three Princes so far but I'm definitely hoping to have more of them in the future. I would really love to have the Auriken Blossom in the Tootsie/Cherries Jubilee pose, winged Baby Blossom, and Peppermint Crunch! I don't know much about the variation so I'm not sure if it's OOAK, but I would love to have the blue version of Prince Sapphire one day, as well.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 09:54:56 PM »
Thanks for all of this awesome information! I’ve always been curious in the differences between the water color sea ponies, and now I know! I always assumed they were the same as the regular release, so now I have to have them!!!

I’ve never seen pictures of the flutter pony! Does anyone have photos of her?!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 06:56:18 AM »
I am glad you have enjoyed reading the spotlight :bigups:

You can see the flutter here :)

http://www.mexicanponyparadise.com/infoframes.html

Love pkw xxx

Offline MerryAnvil

• View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 08:02:46 AM »
As I was looking a little bit closer at this spotlight, I realized something...my Foamy has no country initial on her tail curl, just the very faint year and Hasbro:

Could she possibly be Mexican? I had been wondering if she might be because her eye paint looked a bit odd to me, but I had no idea what to look for until now.

Here's some more pics of her, if it helps any:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
The thing is, ALL baby sea ponies have no country under their tail curls :huh: My childhood babies, bought here in the UK have no country of manufacture stamped under their tail curls.

I dug up this thread :bigups:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328020.0.html

Love pkw xxx

Offline MerryAnvil

• View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »
The thing is, ALL baby sea ponies have no country under their tail curls :huh: My childhood babies, bought here in the UK have no country of manufacture stamped under their tail curls.

I dug up this thread :bigups:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328020.0.html

Love pkw xxx

Ahh interesting! I didn't know that about the babies, since this Foamy was my first baby sea pony. So I suppose like that thread's OP says, the eye paint on Foamy just looks odd, regardless of whether she's the Mexican or US release. I wonder if it was the stamp that was used for her or something. Thank you for the link, pkw!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 06:38:10 AM »
I really am no seapony expert at all :blush: so I don't feel I can comment as I have nothing really to compare her to or with :blush: :blush:

I am thinking that may be a one off "run" of the Baby Seaponies could have been made in China/HK and then shipped to be re-boxed in Mexico. We have seen this with "Loving Family Ponies", HK/China hoof marks, but on a card that says "made in Spain".

I believe the water colour babies were released in 1987, this is when EVERYTHING goes kooky as it is around that time you get ponies made in HK, China and Thailand with PAT PEND and without PAT PEND. You get A LOT of variation (think of the Loving Family ponies). It was at this point also that the patent was granted for MLP and manufacture was moved from Hong Kong to China.

It actually makes it kind of hard to sort things out and while we know a lot about nirvana's there are still so many fine details we are missing.

Love pkw xxx

Offline scarletmoon

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+50)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mexican pony lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 11:32:18 PM »
Hello , omg! I cant believe the pictures of my old collection were kept, this is amazing, thanks for sharing the article of the mexican ponies, pinkkittywinks, this have been long time ago , and I have a lot of good memories of it! I still have a lot of interesting pictures of mexican ponies and variants , please let me know if you need more,
hugs, xoxo :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:34:59 PM by scarletmoon »

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 12:07:11 PM »
scarletmoon yay yes so glad you still hang around :-)

do you have the yellow variant / light variant of applejack?  I am pretty sure she's not just a faded auriken AJ and would love to see pictures added to our gallery

hehe and if it were me, I would add in those bootleg boys = I swear they are nirvana to me as I have not seen them anywhere but know they exist and love that mexico added to the boy-list with prince ponies :-) 

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 06:37:53 AM »
It is lovely to see you Scarlet :hug: :heart: All of the information you and shelti wrote about is still valid and of use to the community, along with your pictures :bigups:

MCM oooh I remember those Prince Daddies, there were babies as well (first tooth trotting pose) with a similar symbol.

Love pkw xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal