collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Random/off topic pony thoughts  (Read 20719 times)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Random/off topic pony thoughts
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 02:57:35 PM »
I like the old plastic scent of G1 ponies, it has a really comfy vibe to it, plus one of my ponies arrived with her mane and tail cleaned with something that smelled really nice but now it's gone :(
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 04:15:47 PM »
I do love pony smell! My first three G1s definitely have it, but it depends with my other ponies. A lot of them came in a lot together and have this smokey/musty scent, but others smell like old vanilla-ey plastic and it's very nice. Pony smell is so distinct though. Did we ever come to a consensus on what exactly it is??

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 06:01:15 PM »
Pony smell is so distinct though. Did we ever come to a consensus on what exactly it is??

I think there was one topic like that: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397484.0.html
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 07:15:51 PM »
I think I saw a suggestion somewhere that G1s had a tiiiny bit of vanillin (artificial vanilla scent) incorporated in the plastic.  Personally i don't think they smell exactly like vanilla, but maybe it is just a hint of it?  I don't know.  Does anyone have any similar-era, similar-texture toys to compare to?  Like fakies, or glo-worms or something?  If it is plasticizer, you would think such similar toys would have the same scent.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
Welcome to the next meeting of Pony Sniffer's Anonymous. :silly:

I don't get the pony smell thing. I either smell something akin to pool floatie plastic, or occasionally rust/mildew/cigarette smoke.

Thank you! I'm a proud member already. XD

I remember the thread about that magical pony smell. I'm not entirely sure what the smell is either, but it is heavenly. :P For me it's that dusty, sweet second hand smell combined with the conditioner I use. As for new ponies, I'm positive that we had a different smell here. Because people keep mentioning a vanilla-like scent, and the ponies I got new from the store always had a very strong chemical smell. Which by the way I love as well, for obvious reasons. :P

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 12:44:11 PM »
I remember brand new pony smell.  It brought out all the feels.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline FernMariposa919

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 09:19:07 PM »
Okay, I have a random pony thought:

Did you ever have a pony (or two) as a kid and realized that during your childhood you were calling it by a different name, either because a) you didn't know how to pronounce its name, or b) you just went through your entire childhood thinking that was its name and only just now, as an adult, realized it had an entirely different name?  :P I can give you an example for each one:

I had the perfume puff pony, Dainty Dahlia. I got the "Dainty" part right. However, my young brain saw "Dahlia" as "Delilah" and she was always "Dainty Delilah" to me.  :P

I had Shoreline and it was only a few years ago when I was looking through all the different ponies on Ponyland Press and I came across her and immediately recognized her. I have fond memories of picking her out at the store, then coming home and immediately opening her and taking her outside to watch her hair change color. (Luckily, it was a sunny day that day!) However….I almost did a double take when I saw that her name was “Shoreline” because I remembered her as “Sunshine”. This was probably for two (obvious) reasons: she literally had a bunch of suns (wearing sunglasses!) as  her symbol, so can you blame me for remembering her name as “Sunshine?”   :biggrin: Also, she was part of the Sunshine ponies so I must have gotten that mixed up and remembered it as her name.

I also went through my entire life thinking I had one pony, when in actuality I had a completely different pony! Let me tell you the story:

I must have been five or six when I received a pony in the mail. It was a blue baby pony with blue hair and no symbol and it came in a small box. Of course I was thrilled to get it and that’s really all I remember: just the excitement of opening a small box to find a pony in there. I don’t remember if it came with any papers telling me what the pony’s name was or anything like that. All my life, I figured the pony was Lucky. Obviously, as you may have guessed, I had a blue Ember. You have to remember this story takes place in the ‘80s, a time before we had a wonderful thing called the Internet. It probably wasn’t until a few years ago when I was doing some MLP research and made this discovery. The pony I had was clearly not Lucky; I just thought it was him because my pony was all blue! And I just assumed they forgot to print the horseshoe symbol, so what do I do? Get out my purple magic marker and draw a crude horseshoe on its haunches! I still have that little pony and it will probably always be known as “Lucky” to me.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 09:31:38 AM »

Did you ever have a pony (or two) as a kid and realized that during your childhood you were calling it by a different name, either because a) you didn't know how to pronounce its name, or b) you just went through your entire childhood thinking that was its name and only just now, as an adult, realized it had an entirely different name?  :P I can give you an example for each one:

Not this exactly, but I grew up with the UK names, and having to adjust or use two names where there are different US names is brain taxing at times. I learned all the US names for ease of communication, but I really hate using them because it's like I'm not talking about the ponies I grew up with at all any more. I wonder if people who grew up with ponies in other languages ever feel like that...

I've seen other people call her Dainty Delilah as well though xD. And also I've seen people use Wind Song rather than Wing Song quite a lot...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 10:39:43 AM »
I've come to realize that Ribbon is Mystery Machine colored.

To answer your question Fern:
1) Sweet Pop-I called her Popsicle.

2)Salty-I thought his name was stupid as a kid, so I called him Tugboat.

3) Sunnybunch-She was given to me by a friend and I didn't know her name. She became Cassidy, but I don't remember why?

4) Blushie-My aunt bought her for me at the swapmeet and I didn't know her name. My daughter called her Bouquet and by the time I found out her real name, which is definitely a dumb name, I just stuck with the one my daughter gave her because its much better.

5) Hula Hula. This set confuses me name-wise. My theory is that Hasbro was sloshed and mixed up their names. (Musta been sloshed for that one set of SHS too.) So I named her Kalea which is Hawaiian for Bright.

6) I use 4-Speed's UK name Trucker. It suits him better then 4-Speed.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:42:08 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 12:41:38 PM »
Not this exactly, but I grew up with the UK names, and having to adjust or use two names where there are different US names is brain taxing at times. I learned all the US names for ease of communication, but I really hate using them because it's like I'm not talking about the ponies I grew up with at all any more. I wonder if people who grew up with ponies in other languages ever feel like that...

Yes! I really had to get used to their English/American names when I became part of the online community. A lot of English names seemed so dang elaborate compared to their Dutch names. Cherry Treats was simply Kersje (-je is used as a diminutive, like -y is in English), Music Time was simply Nootje. So much cuter to my ears. :P

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »
One of the reasons why I loved mail-order Ember was because only one was the "Ember".  The other two were literally blank slates that I could give whatever name I wanted to. 

I named my blue Ember "Blueberry" and she went with me everywhere.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 03:34:15 PM »
One of the reasons why I loved mail-order Ember was because only one was the "Ember".  The other two were literally blank slates that I could give whatever name I wanted to. 

That's cute

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2020, 06:38:02 PM »

That's cute
I have both the purple one (like in the show) & the pink one. The pink one is her twin, Emma.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2020, 09:44:47 PM »

I also went through my entire life thinking I had one pony, when in actuality I had a completely different pony! Let me tell you the story:

I must have been five or six when I received a pony in the mail. It was a blue baby pony with blue hair and no symbol and it came in a small box. Of course I was thrilled to get it and that’s really all I remember: just the excitement of opening a small box to find a pony in there. I don’t remember if it came with any papers telling me what the pony’s name was or anything like that. All my life, I figured the pony was Lucky. Obviously, as you may have guessed, I had a blue Ember. You have to remember this story takes place in the ‘80s, a time before we had a wonderful thing called the Internet. It probably wasn’t until a few years ago when I was doing some MLP research and made this discovery. The pony I had was clearly not Lucky; I just thought it was him because my pony was all blue! And I just assumed they forgot to print the horseshoe symbol, so what do I do? Get out my purple magic marker and draw a crude horseshoe on its haunches! I still have that little pony and it will probably always be known as “Lucky” to me.

That's so funny, because I thought the same thing about my blue Ember! I didn't actually go through the mail-ordering process to acquire mine, since a friend actually gave me her Ember when I had to go for a hospital stay as a child. I also thought it was Lucky, as I had seen the little package inserts for the mail-order Lucky and figured since this pony was also blue with blue hair that it must be him. Lucky/Ember got me through that scary time, and is to this day one of my favorite ponies. I didn't find out until years later when looking up other ponies' names that I came across the Ember series and realized that not only was my blue pony Ember, not Lucky, but she came in a couple of other colors as well. I noticed that mine didn't have a rump symbol, but I figured that since my friend had owned her for a while first, it had rubbed off or something. I had just liked her because she was blue, which was my favorite color, and because my friend had given her to me.

I also didn't realize until recently that the actual Lucky came with a chopped mane. I couldn't figure out why every time I saw a Lucky for sale, it seemed like some kid had chopped all his hair off.

Other ponies that I called other names:

Sparkler: This was my very first pony, and I don't think I realized that ponies came with names, and the package probably got thrown away with all the other birthday wrap, so I named her 'Tiffany'.

Tootsie: Well, I didn't actually rename her, but I think I pronounced her name wrong; I think it's actually supposed to be like Tootsie Roll, right? Well I was just learning how to read, and pronounced it Toot-sie, as in toot a horn. To this day I still pronounce it that way in my head because I called her that for so many years.

Sugarberry: We always just called this pony Strawberry...for obvious reasons.

Noodles and Doodles: I know the blue twin was supposed to be Noodles and the pink twin Doodles, but I reversed them, for no reason other than I just wanted them to be that way.

Post Merge: April 16, 2020, 09:50:43 PM

That's cute
I have both the purple one (like in the show) & the pink one. The pink one is her twin, Emma.

That's cute...Ember and Emma! The only one I don't have is the pink one...I received a purple one kind of by accident in a lot that I ordered, but she is kind of scuzzy and gray-looking. Her hair is nice though; I thought about making a custom out of her, maybe a Baby Snuzzle?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:50:43 PM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
How come only a few species have queens?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal