collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you tell a seller when their ponies are overpriced?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Do you tell a seller when their ponies are overpriced?
« on: March 27, 2020, 09:24:00 AM »
Hello everyone,

I saw somebody selling ponies on the arena but they were really overpriced. I don't want to call anyone out or be a jerk about it, after all a seller can price their items as they please. Yet I feel like 'helping' (If that's even the correct term) them by letting them know. i'm not trying to lowball anyone here but 15 dollars for a cotton candy is just crazy to me. How do you deal with this? I'd really hate to be rude...

I'm just too socially inept sometimes...:blush:

Thank you.

Cheers,

Luke.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do you tell a seller when their ponies are overpriced?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
I generally would not unless the seller asks but you could always ask if they might consider offers. If not then I would see if someone else has it. If it’s overpriced then it won’t sell but if the seller wanted to get rid of their items fast, they will just have to meet the current market price. That’s my take on it.  Hope this helps!  :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
Eh, sellers are allowed to ask what they want.

You could ask if they were willing to take offers or if their prices are firm if it was something you were interested in.

If it's just because you want to correct them, they will figure out sooner or later that their items aren't moving. Maybe they just don't feel ready to let go yet. Or maybe they didn't do their research good enough.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:41:20 AM »
ok yes on ebay - the argentina ponies are like in some cases hundreds overpriced from the average sales and then the seller tried to tack on the $20 ship to each pony and not combine shipping.  So yes, in that case when it was tried to be justified as having negotiated down on the price I did quickly point out that the prices were inflated to begin with and in the case of the rehair, it had not been disclosed which affects the value significantly

I have sometimes paid a pretty penny for "odd" or "weathered" MLP so I apologize if my occasional $10 for a green bowtie or an orange cotton candy or a yellowed cherries has created the wrong impression with some folks that their vintage toys are now worth $50 at least in good shape  'cause yeah I am surprised sometimes to think nightglider is now a hundred dollar item

I just could not resist and actual yellow dye dip for this pony = IMO so much better to be actual yellow

prices in general are "whatever someone will pay" so if no one is paying than let that seller figure it out and I say for the most part outside of particular situations,  just go find another CC or whatever pony you are hunting for from a reasonable seller

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:36:03 AM by maycrestmom »

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 10:52:04 AM »
I've also noticed that a seller on eBay has exorbitant prices for their ponies. So I either avoid buying there (as I have so far), or if I can't find the item anywhere else, I suppose I would make an offer if the listing has that option. The pony seller in question doesn't have a "make offer" option, so I just avoid them. If they prefer to sit on their overpriced items instead of accepting reasonable offers, well, their loss.

If the seller here on the Arena hasn't been able to sell your desired pony yet, you could just ask if they would consider selling for the price you're willing to pay. If they realise they won't be able to sell the pony for the price they ask for it, they might be willing to do so.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 10:59:46 AM »
All of you have made me a lot wiser. Thank you.
The best approach seems just to ask which is reasonable.
It just baffles me sometimes, all those crazy high prices...
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 11:03:54 AM »
I wouldn’t. They probably won’t listen, so I wouldn’t waste my time.

That’s the reason I generally avoid making “wanted/actively buying” posts: if someone messages and says they have that item for sale, I don’t know how I could politely tell them they’re asking too much for it, lol.

Also re: high prices, I know right? What baffles me even more is when something that’s ridiculously overpriced actually sells. Meanwhile I can’t sell the items I deliberately price below market average and painstakingly describe, in great detail, every flaw as to ensure people know what they’re getting... :pout:
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 11:08:46 AM »
I agree when it comes to overpricing, most of the time it's out of ignorance rather than trying to scam anyone. Like others have said, the majority of sellers will come down when they see their items aren't shifting, without needing to be told.

However, deliberate overpricing can be a problem on eBay. And is it just me, or are there sellers who put their shipping charge up way higher than it should be?

basically, a couple months back I saw a sugar sweet in need of restoration for £15, plus £5 second class postage (for the record, typical 2nd class postage for one pony shipping within the UK is usually £2.90 or less) so either they'd made a weight miscalculation, or that was their way of getting a couple extra. Not wanting to argue with them over shipping, I sent an offer of £10, but I got a reply that essentially said they wouldn't accept any offers below asking price because they were trying to make a profit?? Uhhhh, then why even have the offers option available in the first place??
Yeeeeah, didn't buy that sugar sweet in the end. As far as I know, that sale is still ongoing, and at the same price/postage, so I think that might be one person who isn't willing to learn.

So yeah, all in all, you can trust people on the arena, but be careful on eBay.

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 11:13:12 AM »
If I don't like the price I don't buy it. No need to call anyone out, or try to haggle. No one knows what financial situation a person may be in to make them up their prices. Plus there's plenty of ponies for sale all the time. :) I personally price my ponies based on finished ebay listings which I am sure can be a bit high to some, but it is really the only way to know how much certain things are worth.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:15:34 AM by Ribbs »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »
If I think someone's ponies are overpriced I just move on and buy them from someone else.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
If I don't like the price I don't buy it. No need to call anyone out, or try to haggle. No one knows what financial situation a person may be in to make them up their prices. Plus there's plenty of ponies for sale all the time. :) I personally price my ponies based on finished ebay listings which I am sure can be a bit high to some, but it is really the only way to know how much certain things are worth.
Basically all of this. I see overpriced ponies all the time on Depop and at conventions but there isn't a lack of stock on ponies I can easily say are overpriced. If something doesn't sell, the person would eventually lower prices.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
Not usually, because if the price a pony is worth to them is not the same as to me then we won't be having a transaction, however, if they say they are open to offers I'll give them an honest offer. They can always say no and I won't take offence. I've sold some amazing ponies agt lower prices and some baity ponies at higher prices myself. It kinda depends on emitional stuff and how much I need to make space etc. as well as the objective value of the pony (there' sno such thing). I heard once that a thing is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, if that helps.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 01:53:57 PM »
Nah. I just won't buy 'em if I don't want to pay what they are asking. If they really want to sell, they'll realize they'll have to drop their prices on their own eventually, I figure. I see some sellers on ebay asking ridiculous prices for all their ponies, even common ones, and it makes me wonder if they ever sell any at those rates, but unless I put them in my watch list, I guess I'll never know. :huh:

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »
Yeah, you just move on. Though you do lose a little hope when you see a member asking 30 bucks for a Peachy.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 04:25:19 PM »
Agree with the majority. We all have our own pricing schemes.

Also, I've noticed the following things.

Within the US, people seem able to sell some uncommon or excl. ponies at higher prices if they want to, because there's a market and the US buyers will pay a couple of $ more to get a domestic purchase for a European pony/htf pony than they would to deal with international shipping. Most buyers would also choose the same option but there's more availability within the US because of sheer size. It is hard for international sellers to beat US internal shipping and so to match US prices.

On the other hand, there's also the question of currency, especially in the current climate. We tend to all deal in one of three currencies on here - $, £ and € - and our economies are based on what currencies we use, our own cost of living, etc. People tend to benefit from selling when their currency is weak and buying when their currency is strong, but that's a fluid situation. Back when there were almost $2 to the £ it was great to buy ponies from the US. Now it's horrendous. People who live in countries where a different currency is used have their own economies as well based on what they need for an item.

Sometimes people are greedy, sometimes they are selling for a cause, sometimes they've seen people sell ponies for more and thus take that price as verbatim.

I think it's better to have the situation whereby you may accept offers on items, but that doesn't mean a seller is obligated to either change their prices or agree to that offer. While (esp on Ebay) there are some major examples of greed (albeit fees exist as well there)...I think for the most part it's these kinds of considerations people here place on ponies when selling them.

And they don't always translate globally.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal