collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Week of Mar 21: COVID-19 info, facts & updates  (Read 15479 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Week of Mar 21: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2020, 05:22:07 AM »
And if you want to look at it like that, the UK is four nations, and within those are also counties. And it's possible to get the stats for each nation and for each of the counties within them just as easily - in fact, I posted such a link from PHE some pages back of the situation as it was known on 19th March here in the UK. 
 I can only speak for the UK but there are already several maps showing distribution of the disease here county by county and each nation releases its own figures. I have seen ones for Italy as well which show similar mapping and statistics. I expect they are available for France, Spain, Germany...probably also Japan, Australia, New Zealand and many other places. And these of course also change on a daily (even hourly) basis.

This thread already cites only CDC guidelines, which may not be transferrable to other countries in Europe, Asia, etc. US government directives are also irrelevant in places outside of the US and it's important that all members are kept abreast of what their own countries are enforcing at any one time. It's great having the WHO information, and I think that the future threads should stay on that trajectory and avoid specific regional intel because it may not be transferable.

If mapping needs to go in the main post, it should be global. Because this is global and we are global.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:25:30 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2020, 06:10:37 AM »
Iirc, this is a thread where we are reporting some stuff happening to us. It seemed silly to just post the interactive map of ohio from my local site.

As I said, I'm a visual person so when someone tells their area and gives numbers-- it helps me to just SEE it. So I would love to see people post interactive maps of their areas.

A lot of people here talking about their states-- and every state is so individual right now. They almost feel like mini countries... So just talking about the USA as a whole seems so wrong to me right now.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2020, 06:23:07 AM »
Oh, of course people should post stuff in the thread about their regions, I didn't mean otherwise. I just meant that regional information shouldn't go in the initial post of the thread, it should be part of the discussion throughout as people share their regional intel.

Sorry if that wasn't clear. As it is we only have CDC guidelines in the main post and that bothers me since they don't apply here and probably don't apply anywhere else than the US. So I feel like regional stuff should be discussed in the thread but the main post should stick to global WHO stuffs. Just to save on confusion.

And as I said before, the UK is four nations, not one, each of which has devolved administrations and all of which are experiencing this differently. But that's something individual collectors in each of the nations/regions can shade in in posts as well.

For example CNN only seems to think London exists in the UK, and only reports on stuff in London - but what is happening in London is not the same as what is happening in, say, Northumbria or Powys or Lothian. Just like the BBC is mostly reporting on New York and California, but clearly that's not all of the US story, either.

There seems a misconception that because the US is a big country it's the only one being affected regionally, but that's absolutely not the case and if you look at a map of Italy's cases, you can see the same thing is true there as well.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:25:47 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2020, 06:32:43 AM »
There seems a misconception that because the US is a big country it's the only one being affected regionally, but that's absolutely not the case and if you look at a map of Italy's cases, you can see the same thing is true there as well.

:) And that's why I like the interactive maps that show a bit more breakdown. I'm happy to see it for all countries, because I might not be familiar with other places.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2020, 08:53:05 AM »
I think most of the maps are going to show the same thing, most of them are probably getting their data from 'governments' or directly from hospitals.

Any of them you have to take with a grain of salt as the numbers probably aren't directly up to date by the minute.

John Hopkins is a well know medical and research university/hospital, so  I like that they're map shows the whole world. Plus I like that they're graphs also have a field that show how many people have recovered.

Post Merge: March 28, 2020, 09:07:34 AM

I'm also going to make an assumption that each state like mine has it's own interactive map. If you're looking for your personal state, probably look at your states department of health. At least that is where my state (Virginia) has their map located.

If you can't find it just google search and type "(Your State) coronavirus map". That is how I found mine, etc.

I just did a search for Georgia and this came up

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

and then Florida

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:08:16 AM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2020, 09:08:35 AM »
Yeah, they are all pulling from the same sources. :) And yes, some numbers can lag based on who gets tested or where they get tested. Some private labs can be 1 week behind.

The one I mentioned sources the JHU data and puts it into a trend growth rate. Unless I'm blind, I don't necessarily see that on the JHU map?

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2020, 09:26:47 AM »
Yeah, they are all pulling from the same sources. :) And yes, some numbers can lag based on who gets tested or where they get tested. Some private labs can be 1 week behind.

The one I mentioned sources the JHU data and puts it into a trend growth rate. Unless I'm blind, I don't necessarily see that on the JHU map?

I really have no clue on the 'trend growth rate' and I'm not interested in discussing which graph is better than the other. I'm not a statistical scientist and I don't play one online. All the numbers are really going to do is make a lot of people stress out and buy more toilet paper. I can't really affect the numbers it's like watching a big thunderstorm roll in, you can't really affect it other than try to protect yourself and your family.

But no matter how much you try to protect yourself lightning can still kill you and if the lightning doesn't get you the tornado can. You can do everything right in your life, but something out of the blue can strike you dead. I just sorta look at um, click on the features and then move on. It's up to everyone else what you do with what you're looking at. To me it's just a way to worry about it more than I need to as the virus is here and you just have to do your best to try to avoid it, etc. Looking at the numbers ain't going to affect anything other than our own psyche.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2020, 09:49:52 AM »

I really have no clue on the 'trend growth rate' and I'm not interested in discussing which graph is better than the other. I'm not a statistical scientist and I don't play one online. All the numbers are really going to do is make a lot of people stress out and buy more toilet paper. I can't really affect the numbers it's like watching a big thunderstorm roll in, you can't really affect it other than try to protect yourself and your family.

But no matter how much you try to protect yourself lightning can still kill you and if the lightning doesn't get you the tornado can. You can do everything right in your life, but something out of the blue can strike you dead. I just sorta look at um, click on the features and then move on. It's up to everyone else what you do with what you're looking at. To me it's just a way to worry about it more than I need to as the virus is here and you just have to do your best to try to avoid it, etc. Looking at the numbers ain't going to affect anything other than our own psyche.

I don't think one is better then the other???? :( It's just viewing the data in a different way.

All the growth chart shows is how many cases are reported each day. So one area could be 20%, and another area could be 29%. I just find it interesting, that's all. I guess other people don't.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2020, 11:44:10 AM »
Thank you everyone. :hug: My uncle is the first person that I've been connected to that has died probably due to the coronavirus.  I'm not sure if the test results came back positive or not.

I had to go to the store today. There are still a lot of empty shelves but some things are being restocked and stores are enforcing limits on high demand items. The grocery store has also put a plastic shield between the customer and the cashier.

Some stores are starting to put stickers like this or tape on the floor to mark 6ft for checkout lanes.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2020, 12:44:24 PM »
I'm so sorry Ponyfan. :( :hug:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2020, 01:21:46 PM »
Now the entire state of Kansas is under lockdown. We're at 261 cases now. 133 of which (including the 4 deaths) were in the 2 counties of the Kansas City metro area. However the statewide one is only 2 weeks, while many of the individual ones are 30 days. The local ones will go back into effect after the end of the state one.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2020, 01:27:02 PM »

:) And that's why I like the interactive maps that show a bit more breakdown. I'm happy to see it for all countries, because I might not be familiar with other places.

Well, here is the most recent for the UK, if you're curious ;)

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/3B66/production/_111460251_uk_la_mp28mar-nc.png

What some people have been calling for here is an equally transparent report on how many people have been discharged/recovered as we know that is happening too but never get the numbers. Media makes much too much about the figures as well because the more you test the higher the numbers. The best practice IMO is to just do everything you can to stay safe, follow your country's guidelines as they are specific to your situation, and try not to get too bogged down in data. In the US that might boil down to your state, since there doesn't seem to be a national American policy common to all states at present like there is in other countries (for example here the formal shutdown last Monday was collectively taken by England and the devolved admins in Wales, NI and Scotland, although Wales were testing NHS staff earlier and Scotland shut schools more quickly).

In our region we now have I think eight deaths but that's apparently a combined total between us and the neighbouring region because the hospitals are run by the same trust and nobody seems keen to identify which is which, so yeah. That to me is more directly relevant information but even that can be outdated. The first death in our are was reported a week after it happened, and so must have been tested belatedly for covid so who knows if that was the ultimate cause of death.

And some of those in today;s figures were apparently from much earlier in March as well, which suggest similar things happening.

I am more reassured by the fact our science people are not currently panicking about our numbers and the NHS is not reporting that we're at capacity. Also that most people are following the rules.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:32:45 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
Well, folks, they announced 58 cases in care facility less than 40 miles from my town.
I can see the writing on the wall. It's just like I was worried about, cherry blossom season/spring break may have been the end of Japan's weird grace period. I really hope they can get a grip on it now, but it's probably too late. There's no telling how far it's spread until people who got infected last week start getting sick.
And at last update, I still go back to work on the 2nd.There's a few more days, so who knows, maybe someone will get a clue and put a hold on it. All I can do is hope for the best.
 On a lighter note, it's supposed to snow today! First time all winter, lol.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »

Well, here is the most recent for the UK, if you're curious ;)

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/3B66/production/_111460251_uk_la_mp28mar-nc.png

--snip--

I am more reassured by the fact our science people are not currently panicking about our numbers and the NHS is not reporting that we're at capacity. Also that most people are following the rules.

Thanks, I do appreciate it.

There's no use for anyone to panic. That doesn't help anything, for sure. scientists or just the average person. It's certainly natural to worry, and that's ok.

Locally, just riding it out... been raining all day. I don't think anything will change in my life for awhile. I'm dreading going into the hospital in a couple weeks, but that's about it.

I don't remember if I read it here or not, but I'm regrowing some green onions. :D I'm very excited about this. Gonna make some green onion pancakes when they are ready.

Our local hospitals are actively building out temporary hospitals from dorm rooms / hotels / etc to take care of sick people. They are estimating (and any estimation can only be made on current data and changes daily) that our peak time might be mid-may. This comes from research from our hospitals. They are ramping up for the worst, and hoping for the best.

And there's an ohio based company trying to get approval from the FDA on a process that can sterilize face masks.  . This is now approved despite FDA trying to stick to normal regulations. :) NYC should have one by now, and the company is sending out to other states immediately.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:18:12 AM by banditpony »

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2020, 04:33:53 PM »
I have spent the last 4 days coming to terms with the facts and coming up with a plan for the next three weeks. I won't be following epidemiology reports any more, I'm just assuming the virus is everywhere. I initially made plan A (stay at the flat on my own) and plan B (divide my time up between flat and Husband's house). I am now sticking to plan A after a very difficult convo with Husband. He is an essential food supply chain worker and he doesn't want to give the virus to me as he's much more likely to get it via work. So I'm staying back at my flat for now, alone, and trying not to go out to the shop too often becasue of the risk and the amount of hassle now involved. I went out for shopping in mask and gloves a couple times in the first week but otherwise I've been physically isolated for 3 weeks and isolated from Husband for 1 week.

The advice/legislation is to try to reduce the pressure on the NHS over the next few weeks, so we are doing our bit. The plan is that if one of us gets very ill with the virus then the other one will go over and look after them, so we are trying to make sure we don't both get very ill at the same time especially during the peak.  I don't know whether if we can look after each other one at a time like this it will make a trip to the hospital any less likely but we have to try. I realise how lucky we are to have the option to stay separate but at the same time it's devastating because we are so attached to each other. I've waited so long to find my special somepony and now afer just six months of marriage we are faced with potentially months of separation. Anyway, I feel less anxious now that I have a plan and am sticking to it. This is already the longest we have ever been apart.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:39:25 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal