collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Week of Mar 21: COVID-19 info, facts & updates  (Read 15643 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Week of Mar 21: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2020, 04:51:07 AM »
It is up to the people who know better to just keep staying home.
The problem is, Americans don't know better and have a selfish personality thinking "Oh, I am healthy. Why should I stay home? The government can't tell me what to do"  The infection rate in the USA is going to surpass the infection rate here and EVERYTHING was shut down for almost TWO MONTHS - movement was strictly controlled.

Lots of Americans are taking this seriously, and I agree, it's up to us who do to keep staying home.

As for those who don't -- Our government has dropped the ball on testing, so a lot of people think that the numbers are low. And beyond that, we had a lot of misinformation. Like we shouldn't wear masks. It's just the flu. It's an old person disease. It's easy to see why some people don't have the facts or understanding.

I think it's better to look at Hong Kong or South Korea on how they are handling it instead of China. To say more is to get into too much politics.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:31:52 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2020, 06:18:30 AM »
Latest US news on a federal level is Trump is champing at the bit to lift the social distancing restrictions within two weeks.  It's going to be a disaster if he does that.  His reasoning isn't based in science.  Basically, he's upset because he thinks the virus is making him look bad due to the stock market going down.  I just hope people listen to the doctors and scientists.

Wait, what?
As in over ride states that have an order to "stay at home" (Or whatever each state calls it)? Because I didn't think there was a federal thing in place.

Is this not common sense --> the economy is going to take a hit. But if there is no precaution taken by the american public -- the economy will take a worse hit-- and hospitals will be overloaded.

Heaven help us. u_u;

He can't override the states but he can withhold funding to try and coerce states into doing what he wants. I'm not sure if governors can force local governments to end the "stay at home" orders.  I know with the sanctuary cities Trump withheld funding. the governor here in Texas forced all of the cities to comply with an order saying they could not be sanctuary cities.

It is up to the people who know better to just keep staying home. But i'm worried about what will happen when school opens. I'm sure a lot of companies also want their employees back in the office. and stores will want to re-open. people will have to start going back out. i just don't see any realistic good outcome.

I know the economy can't slow down forever but it seems like there are other ways businesses can make money. They refuse to order businesses to make ventilators, masks and other necessary hospital equipment (i don't know anything about medicine). But if Trump did order businesses to produce these products it wouldn't be an act of charity. these companies would get paid.

I imagine that countless unnecessary deaths would also be bad for the economy and the election. personally if i have to choose between my job and millions of lives i would rather lose my job. how is that even a choice? it's just so disappointing that we don't have better national leadership. It seems like some governors are doing a good job. And not making this a partisan issue either.

It didn't have to be this way. We all deserve better.
Sadly Federal rules laws trump over states laws, cities ect laws..  So President Trump can force States to compile...  States aren't own little countries as some states try act but I think President Trump should hear out each governor of states concern and high risk breakout area...

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2020, 06:39:22 AM »
I think he is trying to set up a narrative of "If the economy suffers it's not MY fault, it's the governors' fault."  Similar to Florida governor DeSantis:  "Gawrsh, it's not MY fault if the beaches stay open, it's up to individual counties to close them."  You're the governor, close the beaches!

It's worrying because a lot of people do take Trump's word as gospel.  Including a lot of older people.  My mom is 80 and one of her friends, who is also elderly, told her with complete confidence that the coronavirus would disappear any day now because Trump said it would.  So here I am across the state worrying about this stranger who isn't taking this seriously and wondering how I can keep her six feet away from my mom.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2020, 06:45:31 AM »

Sadly Federal rules laws trump over states laws, cities ect laws..  So President Trump can force States to compile...  States aren't own little countries as some states try act but I think President Trump should hear out each governor of states concern and high risk breakout area...

I read into it a little this morning. My understanding is no, he can not force states to do anything.. however as mentioned by Beth3346, he can withhold funds from states that ask for help.

It's worrying because a lot of people do take Trump's word as gospel.  Including a lot of older people.   

I would of thought my dad would be like that -- if you looked at him, I'm sure people would would make the blind judgement he's a Trump supporter. Strangely he thinks Trump is an idiot. (We don't talk about politics, but something came out one day). I'm so happy for that.
I just don't understand how people could listen to him... it's so crazy, and scary. :(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:48:06 AM by banditpony »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2020, 08:16:22 AM »
I think he is trying to set up a narrative of "If the economy suffers it's not MY fault, it's the governors' fault."  Similar to Florida governor DeSantis:  "Gawrsh, it's not MY fault if the beaches stay open, it's up to individual counties to close them."  You're the governor, close the beaches!

It's worrying because a lot of people do take Trump's word as gospel.  Including a lot of older people.  My mom is 80 and one of her friends, who is also elderly, told her with complete confidence that the coronavirus would disappear any day now because Trump said it would.  So here I am across the state worrying about this stranger who isn't taking this seriously and wondering how I can keep her six feet away from my mom.

It's not even warm yet and people here, surprise surprise, are not practicing social distancing while on the boardwalks and beaches. They are of course threatening to shut it down. The beaches could stay open if they sent out people to enforce distancing and gave fines to people who broke the rules. Then people who keep away from others can have fresh air. It will suck if the only way I can cool off when it gets hot is in my shower.

One thing I read about is some people who live alone are agreeing to keep away from everyone else but one or two friends that they visit. Of course it doesn't work if any of them are still working but if they are otherwise not seeing other people how different is this than an extended family.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2020, 08:29:34 AM »
I have the news on all day at work and I think what the president talked about was more like that he 'hopes' that the country can start back up by easter but that people would still have to practice the same 'rules' they're pushing and also if I remember rightly, because the 24 news is on repeat most of the time, what he talked about was more like it's a possibility that parts of the country may be able to start back but that not places where most of the infection is located, (New York) etc. etc.

Which technically it really depends on where you live and what state you're living in. Now they're talking about people who are trying to leave New York or people who left New York earlier are probably spreading the virus to wherever they headed.

But then again, I don't see of an effective way for the government to control everyone and force them to stay in their house. I'd personally have a problem with that, at least in this situation.

My local Walmart had us make a sign that says no overnight parking. Because people with campers started filling the parking lot staying overnight. So people with RV's are traveling and I have a feeling whereever they were camping, the campsite probably closed. Walmart is usually good for letting truckers and folks park in their parking lots but now the population of folks who live in RV's are moving about, this is obviously something the 'government' really hasn't considered, just how many people and older populations don't have houses but live/travel in RV's as their retirement or alternate living to having a regular house.

and yes, I'm at work but don't worry, VA says I'm essential (LOL!)

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2020, 10:09:55 AM »
Some notes from the UK today...

Prince Charles has the virus, though mildly, and apparently is self-isolating. He's not with the Queen who is said to be fine.

Lockdown is very boring and my mother is not designed to be kept inside. I may go crazy before lockdown is released.

Otherwise all much as yesterday.

The Press Conference tonight is mostly focused on how to increase testing capacities and how to get NHS staff tested as a priority.

One very positive note that speaks better for this nation than the idiots and their barbeque yesterday...

Yesterday our Health Minister asked for 250,000 volunteers (healthy people) to help support the NHS.

In 24 hours more than 400,000 people have come forward.

Press conferences held by video link instead of reporters in situ.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »
There are known 98 cases in my area.  All non-essential businesses are shut down.  Doctors have all texted their clients to stay home.

My city has put crime scene tape all around the playground equipment and BBQ.  If someone didn't know something was up before, they know now.  :P
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline lonewolf

• Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »
My state is up to 126 cases now, and a 3rd death in Kansas City. And they're expecting the number of cases to hit almost 400 by the end of the month. And now there's only 2 counties next to mine that haven't done a stay at home order yet. The governor has announced she will leave such orders to local governments instead of statewide.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
I just learned that my uncle that lives in Colorado is very sick quite possibly with the coronavirus. He has been tested but the result are not in yet.  He refused to follow any of the recommended guidelines. I'm not close to him but it's starting to hit close to home.

Ponyfan 

Wishing all the best to your uncle.

Remember that even people in the at risk category largely pull through.

Thank you Taffeta. I haven't heard anything else about him yet.

One of the local districts is still looking for students to return to classroom learning on April 6th the first day possible to reopen if the governor doesn't issue an executive order to dismiss school of the rest of the year.

My area is up to 14 cases but it's spreading to other local counties. There has been at least one case confirmed in a city about 2 hrs away from me where the virus was spread by an infected person touching a gas pump and then another person touching the same case pump.

Somewhere in the state some people held a coronavirus party and at least one person now has it.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2020, 12:58:42 PM »
All non essential businesses are closed and starting tonight there will be a mandatory 14 day isolation period for anyone (excluding people like truckers) entering Canada.  Some provinces are doing one based on their borders.  And I just heard that one city is going to try to shut down playgrounds.

The gov't is also fed up about people not heading warnings and is focusing on the fact that this thing has not bias on age.  30 somethings are in ICU along with 80 somethings.  I think it was PEI that went on a rampage on tv a few days ago because people were gathering at a beach and failed to listen to police.

Theres a new law that is coming out today as well with how the gov't can help with financial things.  Umm.....yeah.    I think the moral of the lesson is ignorance lands you and everyone else in ICU.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline MerryAnvil

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »
My county still has just 3 cases, but there have now been 164 cases confirmed in my state, with 5 deaths total. My sister's workplace is now requiring temperature checks at the door, and they now also require an admin override to clock in afterwards so that they can ensure that only people who've been checked are allowed into the kitchen. Basically everything cooking-wise has been picked over at stores. My mom wasn't able to find butter, buttermilk, milk, bread, etc. She was able to get one pack each of toilet paper and paper towels, and apparently the Wal-mart bakery has begun making bread and filling the shelves with it as much as they can due to the shortage of bread.

Our mayor declared yesterday that beauty shops, barbershops, health clubs, spas, tattoo parlors, tanning salons, massage parlors, and nail salons will be closed. He is also putting in a 6-foot rule for lines where stores have to either a) put markers on the floor to show people where to stand or b) require every person to get a cart to attempt to ensure a 6-foot distance between people. I have no idea how that will work or how it'll be enforced, but I guess we'll know soon enough. The mayor has also issued a warning that people found to be having gatherings of 10 or more people may be fined $560.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:02 PM »
Georgia (in USA) has passed 1,000 cases and up to 40 deaths now.  I wish more cities and towns would go into lockdown/shelter in place. 

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2020, 01:28:15 PM »
Georgia (in USA) has passed 1,000 cases and up to 40 deaths now.  I wish more cities and towns would go into lockdown/shelter in place. 

Does Atlanta and surrounding counties have most cases? Just taking a wild guess.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »
I learned today that Ohio's stay at home order has something written in it if any business acts irresponsibly-- they can be shut down with enforcement even if they are an essential business.

and 16% of our numbers represent healthcare workers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal