collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Week of Mar 21: COVID-19 info, facts & updates  (Read 15460 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Week of Mar 21: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« on: March 21, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »
Hi guys,
Because the other thread is already massive, I am going to be locking the COVID-19 threads each weekend and starting a new one.
Links to old threads will be included.

We are a global community. Let's keep each other posted about the real state of events.

Discussion is welcome.
NO FEAR MONGERING

1. Where do you live?
2. What is the current climate like where you're at?
3. Are news reports coming from your area accurate or no? What is going on?
4. What are your questions and concerns?
5. What has your government / administration done to address this (please try to keep this as politics free as possible, it is fine to state whether you agree/disagree with their actions etc) and, in your opinion, how is it working? Ex: Shelter in place orders, curfews, closures
6. Is your job affected, if so, how?
7. How are you and your family doing??

MLP Arena, our staff, and our members, are unable to provide any medical advice or diagnoses.
This is a new disease, which means that even the experts are learning as we go and the situation is rapidly evolving. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the WHO (World Health Organization) website for information about the coronavirus, and the respiratory illness it causes, COVID-19:

Prevention, health, travel and safety guidance:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Symptoms:
https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_3

FAQ:
https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

Dispelling Myths / Misinformation:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

CDC guidance:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Archived Discussions

March 12 - 21: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,398121.0.html

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Week of Mar 21: COVID-19 info, facts & updates
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 06:55:45 PM »
I live in Georgia, southeast United States.
We've jumped to 555 cases and 20 deaths.  My closest big town, Athens, home of the University of Georgia, is on lock down.  But my county isn't doing anything mandatory yet. 
One hospital that had two deaths say they have gone through six months of supplies in seven days.  That's scary, especially if as the news forecast that we're just a couple of weeks away from numbers China and Italy have experienced.
One of the deaths was a 42 year old woman.  I turn 43 in a couple weeks.  This is definitely getting scary.
And because of my job, in the veterinary field, I can't stay home.  And we have been so busy this past week.  Besides sick/injured pets, we're getting a lot of silly stuff.  A lady came in this morning for a nail trim because Petsmart's grooming salon was closed.  I may get sick because of people like this?  For a silly nail trim?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 07:48:54 PM »
Things have changed a lot here in MN.

We went from 35 cases midweek to about 115 cases yesterday.
We are not under a shelter in place order but the governor is considering it.
Both of my jobs now require everyone who is able to work from home.
Shopping malls and stores are closing.
Restaurants and bars are ordered closed. Restaurants can provide take-out and curbside service, no dine-in.

I went to Wal-mart for some things yesterday; TP and paper towels still sold out. Soap and laundry detergent very depleted.
A lot of the food is far more depleted than usual, but there is still plenty of food to buy.

It's been a little different for me. I've essentially been quarantined for the past 2 months with my mom, who had an injury in early January and was unable to go out or stay home by herself. I'd go out to the office once a week when my sister could come stay with her, and out for some other things,  but I'd already curbed a lot of activities like going to the gym and meeting up with friends. She was just starting to feel much better and drive again and we were beginning to resume our usual activities when this all hit.

As a matter of fact, I'd just been planning to go  in to the office more frequently and resume sessions with my trainer and was making plans to catch up with friends when the lockdown struck. So day to day not a lot has changed, but it's odd to lack the freedom of knowing I can go do those things if I wanted, or being able to look forward to them in the near future.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 07:55:28 PM »
I'm in the Southern US

I went to a couple of stores today. People were buying 1-3 cases of Ramen noodles each. I did pick up a case because I really like the shrimp flavor but I know I will eat them.

Ham, hotdogs, canned meat, frozen food  etc.. are flying of off of shelves. One of the grocery stores has put a 2 item limit on the most wanted items so more people have a chance to get them.

They've also put up signs asking people to respect elderly shopping hours because there have been a few problems with people that aren't elderly or shopping for the elderly taking advantage of those times.

My area has started testing so numbers of confirmed cases are starting to go up. We have jumped from 8 cases to 11 in a couple of hours. My city is telling people not to be tested unless they are showing symptoms. It's been confirmed that several of these cases went out to restaurants and stores during the time they could infect others with the virus.

All the restaurants are take out only. All bars gyms  and theaters are closed.   School is closed until  at least April 3rd but I think that will be extended and the school districts will just do online learning for the rest of the year.

There is uncertainty involving my job due to the virus.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 08:43:21 PM »
Southern California (Orange County area)
78 cases
0 deaths

People have seemed relatively calm to be honest in all the stores I have been in. Store employees have been informing people in line of what is in stock and available upon entrance and where to line up inside. If anything people that I have talked to while waiting in line just are tired of the daily shopping (and empty shelves of course).

Shopping Experiences (last 2 days)
Sam's Club on Friday (a warehouse club store like Costco) - I was able to get paper towels at Sam's Club on Friday and they did have tp and water available but I did not buy any that day. I got in line about 25 min before opening and then did not get into the store for another 20min after opening (the line went all the way around the building).

I had to go to FOUR stores to find one gallon of non-fat milk. (Sam's Club, Stater Bros, Ralph's (Kroger), Albertsons) Other percentages were available but not that. I have a hunch that may become an issue (we shall see). Or possibly just was bought out in the morning rush at all the other stores.

Target - I was able to get TP (brand specific) on Saturday morning. I was there about 20minutes before opening and the line was twice down the side of the store. I also was able to get a few cans of soup (much of it was gone though). Even got a container of Lysol wipes.

Trader Joe's - I was there about 30minutes before opening and the line was twice down the side of the store and a bit onto the sidewalk. I have to admit though, of all the places I have been in the last week or so, they were the best stocked, almost I'd say 90% of the shelves were full and they did have paper towels available. Maybe it was because I was there early enough, not sure. Or probably because they are in the same strip mall area as Walmart, Sprouts and Target.

What has changed in the last 24 hours
Los Angeles Department of Public Health advised doctors not to test those experiencing only mild respiratory symptoms unless it would make a major difference in how they would be treated (or if they fell into a particular category). Main reason is to not waste test kits and resources on people that are asymptomatic (possible exposure) or display only minor symptoms. The same has I believe been advised for New York also.

Full Article https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-21-20-intl-hnk/h_78c431662464112a27434663a0860cdc
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:03:35 PM by toyjunky »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 08:51:43 PM »
I am running low on cat food and my order from Chewy.com has been delayed . . . I imagine due to a combo of more people wanting to order online rather than going out and maybe due to some of their staff being ill.

Anyway, my order finally shipped today, much to my relief.  I think I have just enough cat food to get by until it arrives.  I don't have any orders for quarantine or shelter in place, but I would rather not risk going out.  I do have a bag of frozen chicken breasts in the fridge so I guess if I have to, I can cook a couple chicken breasts for the cats on the last day.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 10:13:08 PM »
My other half was in town last week dog sitting when the lock downs hit. I'm sending him out shopping tomorrow and he's quarantined to one part of the house for at least a week. I know the incubation is 2-14 days but idk if I want to be apart that long.  >_<  My mom is high risk and I think I am as well, I was very prone to catching bronchitis as a child and it always went chronic without meds I'd never recover on my own. My father always had problems with developing pneumonia so I suspect I got his lung genetics. I haven't been to town since the 15th. My job is sorta secure? I farm so the uncertainty is nothing new for me with crops. But I'm certainly a heck of a lot more on edge/anxious right now than normal planting season!

We have 281 cases and 4 deaths right now in Wisconsin today they closed all salons, tattoo parlors, another establishment I can't think of right now and all Goodwills have announced their closing in my area. Honestly took them long enough  >_<
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 10:50:25 PM »
I am on day 3 of at-home quarantine.  I feel ok, but the chest tightness persists.  I still am unable to walk very much without having shortness of breath.  My work (veterinary hospital) has said that they do not want me back until I have gone 72 hours past the end of symptoms.  I have no idea how long that will be.

There are rumours that Oregon will be following California's recommendations of a stay-at-home order on Monday.  Not sure if it is just a rumour or not but I would not be surprised if it happens.  I feel like most people in my area are practicing good common sense.  My mom said that the grocery stores are the cleanest she has ever seen and people are making sure to practice good social distancing.

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 02:19:28 AM »
The latest death figure is 136. So thats a lot since my last post. But I feel real bad for Italy with 800 people that had died yesterday.

Friday our king speeched very well. He addressed everyone including children. But the mystery stays if he is alright too. He was in Austria when the virus came. And instead of quarantine he and the queen went to Indonesia.

Up here transferring of patients to other hospitals has begun. Because most of the affected persons live in south of the country they are running out of bed capacity. And the army is helping out.

And there is one thing that pisses me off. The full beaches, parks and forest. I know its difficult when you stand in line in a small grocery store. But outside there is enough space to keep 1,5 meters. If not, be wise and stay home. A lot of of people are not waiting for total lockdown! Even though some stores decide to close by themself, but online its still possible to order.

So coming week is my 2nd week of working home, lets see how that goes. There is enough to do so I won't be bored.

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 03:08:29 AM »
I can't believe the dumb people in this country. Ooh yeah, let's all go to the beach and to the forests.
This is how you get a lock-down. Selfish behaviour. We're over 3000 cases right now.

Edit: over 4000 :(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:18:00 AM by Moonbreeze »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 05:18:28 AM »
Ohio..
243 cases, 58 hospitalizations, 3 deaths. We are on the upswing.
351 cases, 83 hospitalizations, 3 deaths.

As mentioned before, our governor has been taking this seriously. Within a day after our 1st community spread case he shut schools down and banned large gatherings. He is taking advice from the head of the Dept of Health.

Since our first case we have had daily press conferences and that's where I get a majority of my info. There's no point to read newspaper articles when they are regurgitating his information.

outdated
There is no "shelter in place"  because he has stated that he is trying to balance the safety of people and the economy. However, everyone is pretty much asked to act like we are and be responsible.
We are officially calling our order "stay at home", as of today, Sunday. Basically making it official of what he had just been asking. Can leave home for outdoor activity including exercises, walking the dog, and going to a park-- because that's good for our mental health. We can go out to shop, and take care of friends, families, and pets. It's ok for us to have a friend or family group up to 10 people that we see as long as we practice social distancing and stay in together.

outdated
Businesses have to take the temperature of employees (or they self report), and measures inside reflect social distancing. WAH if possible. No self serve coffee, chairs 6 feet apart, staggered shifts, etc. There's a mixture of businesses complying and not. He has asked those who aren't to cut it out and stop risking lives. The writing is on the wall for what I believe will be like PA where we will have non-essential businesses closed.
There is a list of essential businesses, and are now ordered to practice good social distancing. It will be enforceable by law. This is until April 6, and will be reassessed.

Schools are closed but all grades have pivoted to remote learning including preK. bars/restaurants are closed besides takeout/pickup. Some daycares will be open for only 6 kids, 1 teacher per room under a emergency pandemic license. (This is pretty much for hospital workers, I think. I kinda missed part of it).

Personally, we are in self-quarantined to the strictest level. My dad plays and watches my daughter, and he is high risk. I started preparing in Feb so at no point did I deplete things when people panic shopped. I am not sure I'm 100% prepared but I tried my best. I'm looking into services that mail produce. I do not plan to go to any stores until we are on the down swing. A neighbor will grab us milk or any emergency items. I will obviously have to go out for his prescription and my daughter's doctor appointments.

My mom is also self-quarantined because she works in the hospital. :( So none of us can see her until it's all over. I'm worried about her due to her age... and I miss her.

I hope there's more talk about being mentally healthy through out all of this. I have a agoraphobia and I have a feeling after the end of this I'm going to have a hard time.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:57:40 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 05:25:06 AM »
My dad has gone out this morning :mad: I don't know where, I just know he's gone. He stayed home yesterday so I thought he was finished being stupid.

Florida cases are at 763 with 12 deaths. Infected non-residents (tourists) is 57. There are 2 cases in my county.

More beaches are closing but the majority are open. People are still visiting them even though they're closed. I was amazed by comments on a news article the number of residents complaining about it. Saying things like "what else are we supposed to do" - how about... stay home!

The usually busy road nearby remains quiet, which is weird.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 05:44:27 AM »
Well I got a little good news at work last night. The place I work at makes plastic trays and totes, the majority of which are for food, and sometimes medical, and because of that, they announced the government views all of the plants under this company as "essential" because we make stuff for the food and medical industries, so the plant won't be subject to any shut down  orders.

That said: I'm listening to my scanner very closely as I type this, because an 84 year old a few blocks away called 911 over flu like symptoms, and I thought I heard the dispatcher say "Corona positive". I can only hope I heard that wrong because if I didn't, this small town is gonna' go into full panic mode.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 07:05:16 AM »
I am on day 3 of at-home quarantine.  I feel ok, but the chest tightness persists.  I still am unable to walk very much without having shortness of breath.  My work (veterinary hospital) has said that they do not want me back until I have gone 72 hours past the end of symptoms.  I have no idea how long that will be.

There are rumours that Oregon will be following California's recommendations of a stay-at-home order on Monday.  Not sure if it is just a rumour or not but I would not be surprised if it happens.  I feel like most people in my area are practicing good common sense.  My mom said that the grocery stores are the cleanest she has ever seen and people are making sure to practice good social distancing.

I wish the best for you and hope you feel better very soon!  I used to work in the veterinary field too and I don't think society can ever truly repay those who cannot stay home during this time.   :heart:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:32:12 AM by Brightglowpony »
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 07:50:45 AM »
I'm worried about the "spring-breakers" in Florida catching coronavirus and then taking it back to their home states.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal