collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Male g1 ponies  (Read 1103 times)

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
Male g1 ponies
« on: March 20, 2020, 02:48:49 PM »
Like so many others i fell in love with the g1 male ponies.  Recently i was wondering out of if the main stream ones (not ones like the super rare ones). But us as and uk males who people thought were the rarest and hard to come by.

For example i managed to get five of the mountain boys at a decent price but took age to get slugger , quarter back and 4 speed. So to me they were harder to find.

What is everyone else’s experience on finding the boys? And who would you put as the rarest?

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
Re: Male g1 ponies
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 03:10:34 PM »
I think 4-Speed is one of the rarer ones only because he suffers from regrind and mold really bad. Even his picture on my little wiki has a huge spot on him. :(

And I'm unsure, maybe he's not well liked, but I don't see Wigwam too much.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 03:31:50 PM »
I have all 3 Loving Families who were the easiest. I have Lightening who I bought reasonably, but Fireball who is perfect cost 3 figures. Ice Crystal was mid range but I had to fix the buzzed forelock. I got Slugger with issues aiming to customize to a Raincloud but completely mislaid him. I only use this site, EBay not Facebook and find Etsy very overpriced.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
So I've had pretty okay luck finding my boys! Steamer I had from childhood and I found him at a garage sale in a box of ponies. I managed to find a Sunburst at $45 on ebay, I got a mint-y Daddy Bright Bouquet at a pony meet last year for $20 (I perhaps overpaid a bit but when I say mint-y I mean he is perfect, no flaws, still squishy, etc.), and more recently I've gotten Wigwam, Tex, Chief, Barnacle, and Salty for cheap on various sites like ebay, Mercari, Etsy, etc. I have noticed that, like you said, Slugger, Quarterback and 4-Speed are more difficult to find in good condition, and even the ones that are on the bait-y side tend to sell quickly. There were two 4-Speeds on Mercari recently for under $15 (I think one was $7 and one was $10) and they both sold super quick (pretty sure the $7 sold within minutes and the $10 sold within 2 days).

I would definitely say that IMO, out of all the 'mainstream' big boys (not including the rare Family Friends Daddies, Playschool/Schooltime sets, etc.) Ice Crystal is the rarest or at least the hardest to find for a reasonable price because he's so sought-after. I still haven't come across him for a low price and it sucks because he's my absolute grail ahaha ;u; I've seen a few other Mountain Boys for under $100 each but most of them were in fairly poor condition. I got lucky with my Sunburst because he has stains, but otherwise he's really nice with gorgeous uncut hair and pretty good symbols, and I'm not super picky so *shrugs* I did notice that Sunburst and Thundercloud tend to be the ones that pop up most often on the lower end of pricing.

If you're including mail orders, Tux 'n Tails is probably up there as well. He is ridiculously hard to find in nice condition for cheap. Clipper pops up a lot more often for lower prices, I've noticed. I'm hoping to get him soon. He's precious!

Now there's also the Baby Brothers to consider. Personally I think that Leaper and Racer are probably the hardest to find of those. Racer especially. In my experience the others can be found for okay prices usually, but they're also sometimes not in the best condition. I got Baby Whirly Twirl in a $9 pony bag at my local antique mall. His symbols are kinda scratched up but he's otherwise very lovely.

A lot of it also comes down to location, too. In some parts of the world it's easier to get certain ponies, while in others it's nigh impossible.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my sister also has a childhood Big Brother, Salty, who she found with his hat at a thrift store. He's still in our herd and still has his hat!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:49:03 PM by dakotadarkhooves »

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 03:47:38 PM »
I think I would have loved the Mountain Boys if they'd been available in my area.  For now, I only have Daddy Apple Delight and Tex.  Salty is on my maybe list as I have his hat.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »
The only Mountain Boy I had trouble finding on the carboot market in the late 1990s was Tornado. He only showed up once. All the others I found more quickly, though there weren't so many Lightnings either. Sunburst, Ice Crystal, Fireball and esp. Thundercloud were fairly available. So were most of the brothers - Tug, Tex, Tracks especially. The only one I never found here was Quarterback so I guess people in my area didn't like dark blue ponies for some reason!

We also didn't see many Barnacles so that seems to be a regional rule...

I didn't have a problem finding a reasonable Tracks (4Speed) but I agree he isn't as common.

The Daddies were all fairly common but Daddy SC the least...and we had NC and China made ones and I still don't have NC Daddy Apple Delight.

Tux wasn't sold here officially, only through clearance in some areas, not this one. Never seen him.

On the family Daddies from the final few years...Meadowsweet wasn't too bad but I have never had doubles of Daddy Berrytown or Sunbright. I remember them in the stores but never saw them at carboot sales and had to trade for both of them. THeir prices are well understood.

...Are you counting Sportstime and Baby Schoolbag? 
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 05:30:05 PM »

On the family Daddies from the final few years...Meadowsweet wasn't too bad but I have never had doubles of Daddy Berrytown or Sunbright. I remember them in the stores but never saw them at carboot sales and had to trade for both of them. THeir prices are well understood.

Those guys are a bit out of my league I think! They are gorgeous though. I forgot about Sportstime and Schoolbag though - I found them fairly easily.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 06:46:12 PM »
In my experience the hardest male to find in decent condition is Thundercloud. My own had hair so horrid I had to reroot him. He'd also greyed a bit & had the sticky thing going on, requiring a coating of a sealant I had but since ran out of (I have my eye on this Testors Dullcote everybody's raving about & will eventually get some). Other Thunderclouds folks have found & shown photos of have head/body mismatch & a fair bit of greying too.

The most expensive Boy (UK) I've sought out was Ice Crystal, maybe because he's green. I do have a thing where I prefer my Boys to have Boy poses (furry hooves or baby Lucky), & from Customs I've seen of Family Friends Daddies wi furry hooves I'm not alone. The only exception is Newborns, who don't show gender differences yet. Shaggy was always a male to me, while Sportstime is a female, though a tomboy.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 11:26:06 PM »

[/quote]

I never even though. Of then been male to be honest but thinking about it yeah i guess they are. So yeah lets count them

I am still hunting clipper for a lower price and ice crystal where i do not have to remortgage my house to be able to afford.

I am not overly interested in the family daddies berrytown etc i tend to prefer the ones with cob feet for some reasons

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 02:12:21 AM »
Neither Sportstime nor baby Schoolbag were that hard to find for me and I have had doubles of both over the years though Sportstime may be a little rarer than his setmates in my experience. Or my area really hated blue ponies for some reason.

And yeah, officially they are both boys and were both marketed in English exclusively as boys, so they probably should count.

In the UK Sniffles from Sniffles and Snookums was a boy as well, but that is another matter xD.

In terms of the other baby boys - Lucky is common, Clipper not sold here so had to import him...however didn't have trouble doing it. Paws and Drummer were sold here and we didn't have much problem in finding them. I also found Leaper here although he wasn't officially sold here. Waddles, Countdown, Racer I traded for without too much trouble. I have had doubles of Leaper, Paws and Drummer.

Ribbs and WhirlyTwirl were easier to get than some of the brothers even though they weren't sold here, but I still need the bibs for both.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 09:38:21 AM »
I got tex in a cheaper lot and sunburst for around 40 dollars. He has some sports but is otherwise lovely. Tex has some scratsches but ditto.

I saw salty for sale a couple of times, and most mountain boys as well except for ice crystal.

Lover of Windwhistler

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 11:09:26 PM »
The only Big Brother I have is Slugger.  I got him for $15 but he had a buzz cut and so I am going to have to rehair him.  Not a bad trade off in my opinion, as his symbol looks great and he has no mold.

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 01:14:57 PM »
I only have four: Big Brothers Steamer and Wigwam, Loving Family Ponies Daddy Bright Bouquet & Daddy Apple Delight. I would love to have more. I really like Daddy Apple Delight's color combination and he is my favorite of the four. Eventually I'd like a Tux 'N Tails to go with my childhood Satin 'N Lace and Lucky.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal