collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you take apart your ponies to wash them?

Always!
3 (8.8%)
Never!
8 (23.5%)
Only if there is tail rust!
23 (67.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Do you take apart your ponies to wash them?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Do you take apart your ponies to wash them?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 05:13:04 PM »
Yeah, if the glue has more or less come off that's a bit different.

Because there's always a risk that a pony with a loose head in a second hand auction is rerooted, I personally prefer to know if the seal is broken. I don't collect reroots. But some people see it as a flaw and some don't. Either way it's a permanent decision really, and if you are going to do it, it pays to find out how to do it perfectly so as not to cause more damage than necessary.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »
As an amateur Customiser, I know taking some heads off is easy, while others can get damaged by removal, dependent on Pony. So for the actual ones I don't unless cleaning is required (I MUST get round to cleaning my Sea Mist!!!). By damage I'm not referring to the glue, but the plastic. I've seen that bit which holds the head on tear off either partly or fully, I've wrestled wi early G3 heads & have a good few necks looking scruffy due to this, despite the boiled water from the kettle to help... it's annoying sometimes, so care is needed.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »
Nope, I would be too scared I would accidentally damage something, in fact I'm even scared of regular cleaning out of fear I would somehow ruin their symbols or eyes :yikes: (although I did have an idea at one point of detaching Wind Whistler's head to hide an investment diamond inside if I ever buy one)
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
If I buy them second-hand from auctions and the heads are already loose, I'll pop them off while cleaning them to check the inside. Most of them have been fine, but I recently opened up a Baby Glory that looked nearly perfect on the outside, but was completely rusty brown inside. :cry: I suspect rust, not mold, but it made me wonder what surprises might be lurking inside some of my sealed-head ponies, especially if poor Glory looked that good on the outside. I don't really want to break factory seals to check, but I guess I will if I suspect something funky going on. :huh:

Now I just have to figure out how to clean Glory. She's so tiny and it's all down inside all 4 legs...maybe a small bottle brush?

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »
I never take heads off unless I have to do so in order to clean tail rust or mold, or to rehair the pony. If it isn't necessary, I just leave the head. I don't like taking any restoration measures that are unnecessary and won't improve the condition of the pony.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 09:58:29 AM »
I don't that much (esp if the head resists me) because I'm lazy

But I have to tell you all, there have been many ponies I have opened that showed no signs of issue on the outside only to be caked in mold or rust on the inside. If you don't clean that out the pony will deteriorate even faster

I don't remove heads of ponies that I'm going to sell, that's up to the buyer to decide and why do more work?

Oh and if you want a safe tool for opening stubborn heads I recommend "Pry tools" they have lots of different widths and shapes and don't have sharp edges. My husband uses them for his technician job so I snatched some

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 05:00:24 PM »
I used to take them all apart when I was a newer collector. However, now I just wash them and if they have tail rust when I look in the tail I will take them apart if they need it.

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 07:48:57 PM »
I'm a customizer more than a collector, so I feel like my vote would be biased. It's always taking apart for me!
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 02:31:28 PM »
None of the above. If I can see a pony is in excellent condition I will use baby wipes and comb the hair with warm water to style it without taking the head off. There is always a risk of tearing when taking the head off, unless the head turns i.e. someone else has already done it for you. However, if a pony looks a bit discoloured or worse for wear I will suspect hidden problems that may cause bigger ones down the line so I'll take the head off. If a ponr needs re-curling or deep soaking to fix outside issues then I will take the head off because if there is any risk of water getting into that tail hole she needs to be taken apart, cleaned inside and out and dried inside and out before reassembly. I wish I had kept and catalogues all the tail washer I've removed. Big regret because they are an important part of the pony. They are currently all just loose in a bag. I could kinda guess who would have each type. But anyway, we live and learn.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 05:10:45 PM »
I do if it smells or is showing pindot, tailrust, etc.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 09:31:18 PM »
It's a 'sometimes' thing for me. Is the pony's head already 90% of the way off? Is she exhibiting signs of internal distress - tail rust, dark feet (an indicator of internal mold/mildew), bad smell? Is she a pony I am keeping in my collection, and I want to be 100% sure she's okay inside and out? Then the head pops off! Sometimes it depends on rarity too; I'm less hesitant to behead a grimy Cotton Candy, but I get nervous around the higher priced ponies! What if I slip with the knife, and she looks like Frankenstein?! :yikes:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2020, 07:32:29 AM »
If they're visibly dirty inside from the outside yes. Otherwise there's no reason to if they don't look messy inside.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 08:46:16 AM »
It's a 'sometimes' thing for me. Is the pony's head already 90% of the way off? Is she exhibiting signs of internal distress - tail rust, dark feet (an indicator of internal mold/mildew), bad smell? Is she a pony I am keeping in my collection, and I want to be 100% sure she's okay inside and out? Then the head pops off! Sometimes it depends on rarity too; I'm less hesitant to behead a grimy Cotton Candy, but I get nervous around the higher priced ponies! What if I slip with the knife, and she looks like Frankenstein?! :yikes:

Well at least she's already green. :silly:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2020, 12:53:05 PM »
Thanks everyone! I've decided against it, I'll only do it if one of my ponies have very bad tail rust, which thankfully
none of my current ponies do! ovo

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 01:46:15 PM »
One thing I really meant to say but forgot, I never take the tail clamps off. The washer is just a cheap iron pressing so will rust and can be removed but I've never personally seen a rusty clamp, only one or two that were corroded in a different way. I have accidentally bought a few ponies in the past where a zip tie turns out to be the only thing the tail together and I don't think the character of the tail somehow looks right.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal