collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Coronavirus info, facts & updates  (Read 20970 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus info, facts & updates
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 08:35:55 AM »
I just got off a call with a coworker in Shanghai. She said that things are getting better there. People are still wearing face masks and changing them every 3-4 hours. She has been on mandated work from home, but all employees are required to report to the office beginning on Monday.

She made it sound like life is pretty normal, daily activities are not disrupted and  people are generally being more vigilant when it comes to hygiene and practicing social distancing.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 08:45:44 AM »
Wow, I just saw footage of morning buses and tube stations in London. I've been on buses at rush hour in London, and they're packed. These were basically empty. I think the country's gone into voluntary lockdown despite the govt saying they don't have to. Imagining everyone now working at home unless they can't...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 09:35:17 AM »
I just read the news that people should not be going frenzy on the grocery shopping. Because its not so nice for those who have been working all day.  Duh, that's why they invented online grocery shopping. So you don't need to go into one after work. I think its a logical reaction if you ask people to stay at home effective immediately. People want to be sure there is enough in case its decided for total lockdown.  And we have a war history with very little food.
I was thinking about ordering the usual pet food online so that I have it tomorrow but I think I will do that next week.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2020, 09:40:56 AM »
I just read the news that people should not be going frenzy on the grocery shopping. Because its not so nice for those who have been working all day.  Duh, that's why they invented online grocery shopping. So you don't need to go into one after work. I think its a logical reaction if you ask people to stay at home effective immediately. People want to be sure there is enough in case its decided for total lockdown.  And we have a war history with very little food.
I was thinking about ordering the usual pet food online so that I have it tomorrow but I think I will do that next week.
The frenzy just moves online in that case, which saves people from rushing inside but isn't much better. We offer a drive-up service and we were flooded yesterday. As people become more wary I'd imagine they'd move over to more drive-ups and home deliveries.
That said, if you need need something, definitely pick it up sooner rather than later because inventories are low all over where there is panic.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
~Southern Ontario
~Weve got a confirmed case with multiple unconfirmed/rumors
~People are nuts. Many empty toiletpaper shelves. I don't really get why its the first thing people grab.
~We are just being sensible right now.  Both me and my parents are in the venerable category with existing medical issues but we cant shut down either..we still need to go to appointments or work.  So we just be more aware...wash hands with soap and water (honestly its the best way to tackle this I think), carry a pocketback (mini hand sanitizer..ive got it clipped to my purse but its nothing new for me..ive had one on me for years now), open doors with coat sleeves or elbows.

Im kind of just hoping the whole thing blows over like sars did ^^'

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »
I live in Maine; we just got out first confirmed case the other day.
Things are I guess okay for now; Mom and I went grocery shopping yesterday and paper goods, cleaning supplies and hand sanitzer are wiped out but still food on the shelves but a lot of my friends (from all over the state) have reported low to empty shelves (pasta/rice etc). Schools are still in session as far as I know but most extracurricular/field trips etc have been cancelled. People are wearing masks and purelling the crap out of everything plus making good use of home delivery/pick up at store services.

I do worry as Maine a large elderly population (I think we're the "grayest" state) and really worry if it comes up here. I live on an island of about 350 people a good third of those are over 60 not to mention I think every other person has a compromised immune system due to a high rate of Lyme's Disease, cancers (my mom had breast cancer last year) or things like diabetes or asthma (I have the latter). If it makes to the island, we're pretty much screwed as everything spreads like wildfire here:( BUT where people are taking precautions I'm holding out hope!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2020, 10:54:18 AM »
Ok, now South Dakota schools will be closed next week.  The colleges are extending spring break. I get to go shopping tonight.  Yay...
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »
I'm in Finland, the south-eastern area where I live has had 12 confirmed cases, I think (155 in the whole country). So it's not bad here yet but our government decided to take pro-active measures to slow down the spread. All travel abroad is discouraged, events large and small are being cancelled, etc. No schools closed yet though, or anything super drastic like that.

Universities are switching to online teaching and working from home. My university doesn't allow any events or teaching sessions of more than 50 people; this restriction will be in place at least until the end of May. All work-related travel has been banned and no international guests are received. I'm currently preparing to defend my PhD thesis in May using Skype or other form of remote connection as my opponent is in the UK. It will certainly be interesting! In Finland, the viva is a public occasion so I guess it'll be streamed or something. Part of the tradition is also a dinner party held in the honour of the opponent, obviously I'll have to skip this or postpone it to a later date... but well, things could be worse! And I think this is the perfect time to develop good practices for the future, considering that people should reduce travelling anyway because of the climate.

I was supposed to do some routine grocery shopping today and pick up a parcel at the PO (located in the premises of a big supermarket) but I hear people are hoarding toilet paper and food here as well so I don't feel like going... But it's not likely to be any better tomorrow so maybe I should go anyway and do some late-night shopping. I have a decent supply of non-perishable stuff but it could be better in case I fall ill and can't go out. And I'm currently almost out of any fresh stuff like vegetables, I usually do most of my shopping on Fridays... I believe it's not that bad in small shops and luckily I have one nearby.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:04:20 AM by Griffin »

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2020, 12:05:12 PM »
I'm in Japan.  NUMBER 1 TIP: Don't forget to wash your COAT! People tend to forget, even though they're being told to use their elbows and all that.

We've got near total closure of schools from grade 1 up to college-level, and many unis as well. So far the closures have not affected most local shops and services in my area, but word is, that may be changing for a lot of places where the virus is spreading. (A new law goes into effect tomorrow.)
Currently, people are being very ridiculous and panic buying toilet paper, tissues, masks, and sanitizers of all sorts, so it's nearly impossible to find those in stores, unless you get lucky and catch a shipment delivery. (Yay! I finally have TP, nobody panic. :biggrin: Lol.)

The news out of Japan is fairly accurate if you are looking at NHK or the Japan Times.

CNN's online newspaper is NOT TRUSTWORTHY. Their coverage of the virus has been sensationalist at best, and frankly, resembles a tabloid more than anything. Always confirm anything you read there. I can confirm multiple instances of misinformation for shock value.  Once you start comparing their articles to their headlines and double checking the information, it becomes pretty obvious. Though they seem to have calmed down slightly in last few weeks. Not sure how the television coverage is, but I can't imagine it's any better. Use the WHO website if you need facts.

While Japan's news is fairly levelheaded and accurate, there is one major issue: There's a relatively low number of *reported* cases, but there is also a very low rate of testing going on. That's likely to change soon as well, as the test just got added to the national health plan. Until just a few days ago, it was apparently kind of hard to get tested if you weren't showing symptoms. Science reasons have been given for the lack of wide-scale testing, but I won't pretend to understand it.  Suffice to say, it's here, it's everywhere, and the experts all agree that there are a LOT more cases than have been counted. Of course, as is the case everywhere, most of those cases are minor and will pass quickly, so... pros and cons.
Anyway, if you are planning to come to Japan in the next month or two, please be aware that the risk is there.

Also, be advised that from Saturday, March 14th, local governments will have the power to issue orders regarding what are basically localized quarantine procedures. They are likely to be very conservative with the power, but the chance of getting caught in a quarantine zone will exist.
Until now, there was little risk of not being able to return from Japan, but that is no longer the case. Many countries are blocking travel from affected areas, so if you come, the situation could change suddenly, and you might not be allowed to go home without being quarantined. Take care.

Most large tourist attractions like Disney and Universal Studios are closed temporarily, with Disney extending the closure into April, last I heard. No recent word yet of whether schools will re-open on schedule, (early April) but last report said yes. All large gatherings like concerts, festivals, and parties are strongly discouraged, and mostly cancelled until the end of March. Until tomorrow, that was voluntary, but a new law goes into effect tomorrow which will allow local government to force closures and cancellations. Personally, I expect the nightlife to take the first hit there, given some recent news articles.

All in all, visible impact is still minor, barring general inconveniences and people being anxious.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:15:49 PM by Thimble »

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2020, 01:08:03 PM »

CNN's online newspaper is NOT TRUSTWORTHY. Their coverage of the virus has been sensationalist at best, and frankly, resembles a tabloid more than anything. Always confirm anything you read there. I can confirm multiple instances of misinformation for shock value.  Once you start comparing their articles to their headlines and double checking the information, it becomes pretty obvious. Though they seem to have calmed down slightly in last few weeks. Not sure how the television coverage is, but I can't imagine it's any better. Use the WHO website if you need facts.

Thanks for this. I personally do read CNN, among a number of other various news outlets - I think your comment is a great reminder not to believe everything you read, and to cross check facts and references to stay well-informed. This is a big reason why I started this thread - so that we can avoid sensationalized hype but keep up to date via one another about what's really going on out there...things that aren't being accurately reported or things that aren't being reported at all. I cannot over state the need to not panic but to take informed precautionary and proactive measures, particularly if you are at higher risk for respiratory infection...some people who have been exposed do not exhibit symptoms during the 14 day incubation period.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »
At the Dutch/German border here and until end of April all public venues with more than 1000 people are getting cancelled. I am particularly mad because a special concert I've been looking forward to since autumn last year is amongst the events affected. Just because it's on the 20th instead of the 22th. I want to scream!

I am fed up with the panic. A few years ago it was Sars, now its Sars2 with a fancy new name to get everybody talking and not paying attention to certain political topics :lookround:

Hand sanitizer is all out, just like these masks. Apparently some hospitals are running short on masks because regular people have stocked up on them, which is nuts.
Today in Bavaria they closed public schools, so at least the kids get something out of it.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2020, 02:09:45 PM »
Northern Utah.  We don't have any cases in the three surrounding counties but you'd think the world was going to explode tomorrow.  I had to run to Walmart to pick up some things (mostly rubber cement so I can work on my scrap book this weekend and chocolate snack cakes because...yum!) and I was surprised at some of the stuff that was completely gone.  Feminine hygiene products are completely sold out.  Also, my friend is a checker at Walmart and I happened to see her so I got in her line and I asked her how things were.  She said that she isn't concerned about getting sick because if they call out sick, they won't get in trouble for it and if they do happen to catch the Corona virus, they will get a paid 2 weeks off.  She said that what worries her is people's reactions to all of this.  We agreed that it feels very Y2K-ish...

Also, the city announced that they will be closing the library and the rec center for 2 weeks just as a precaution and it's been nuts here at the library.  Usually Fridays are pretty chill but we had three people at the checkout desk, two phones ringing off the hook and a line that reached all the way across the room.  I'm glad people like to read and all but you'd think we announced we were closing our doors forever.  One guy said he had hoped we were closing to move into a new building that's been promised to us (but we haven't gotten yet).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:15:10 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 02:28:25 PM »
@Griffin, on the subject of the Skype Viva, I had to do that last April because one of my examiners relocated to Japan before my Doctoral School got themselves sorted out, but it worked out fine and was very smoothly coordinated. BUT ours are not streamed or public events, so I don't know how they might handle that. Just that Skype does work for the viva and you shouldn't worry about that if it comes to pass.

(Also, good luck).

CNN broadcasts here as well. I think it's better than Fox TV which I think lost its licence to air in the UK because of (demonstrably untrue) stuff it aired about British muslim communities some years back. It's also more accurate than RT, but most things are more accurate than RT, let's be fair.

I think CNN is interesting to watch sometimes for US news and US debates but not so great when it comes to global things.

Probably the best thing to do to get a balanced picture is to look at a wide range of news sources. It's why this thread is really awesome, though, because it's real time testimony from real people all over the world talking about their actual situations, rather than media assumptions and generalisations.

Our media, including the BBC, are too fixated on the numbers. They sound high, but for me it's about comparing the number of cases (even if there are 10x more unreported cases too mild to know about) with the population numbers and realising that actually, there are not very many cases of this illness in many places at all, and that most of us are not yet dealing with a situation like in China or Iran or North Italy, or even South Korea...but need to be sensible and prepared for the possibility.

But I think that BBC, ITV, and most news outlets that are NOT tabloids are trying to report accurate UK and where possible, world information. BBC seems to still have its reporters in literally every affected place as well, and there have been a number of TV interviews with people in various of these places.

I just think people need to remember that the 800 or whatever the current number is for whatever country are not all in that one concentrated area in most countries. At least, not yet.

Also if anyone is in the worst regions of North Italy and are struggling with the situation, our thoughts are with you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:42:26 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 03:47:54 PM »
I'm in Seattle. I think this is where (currently) the worst of the outbreak is in the US.  Of course we really have no idea as the testing has been INCREDIBLY LIMITED in the US and widespread testing is only JUST starting...  which drives me a little bonkers.

A lawfirm down the street from us had a paralegal (age 60 seemingly healthy to her boss's knowledge) go home on Monday with "flu like symptoms" and she "worked from home" on Tuesday and Wed and was found dead on Thursday. She is suspected to have COVID 19 but it is not yet in the news.

Another large employer who employs a co-worker's wife-  has had two confirmed cases of COVID 19 this week- and has sent everyone who can go home- home. But again this is confidential info and not public knowledge as it could cause the company to have a stock crash.

I worry that a lot of companies are doing the same thing. Keeping quiet.

All the big tech companies have mandated anyone who can work from home- work from home.  Schools are all closed. Courts have cancelled all civil motions and trials. 

I don't want to overreact but I don't want to underreact either-  the lack of concrete information about how prevalent, contagious and deadly this disease is, is very concerning. 

There are all these "statistic" and "projections" but if you scratch further, you see that nobody really has any idea- just a bunch of guesses based on incredibly limited data.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2020, 05:13:20 PM »
Good point on the coat washing.  Now to pry the hoodie off the teen...
:socks:   :frog:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal