collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why Do I Not Feel The Need To Collect Anymore? - still love MLP  (Read 1558 times)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Guys for the last 3 years I've really lost the motive to collect MLP. No clue why. I am not looseing interest. I just got a night glider Tattoo and my pony memories are super important and my happy place.
I just don't seem to get much of a spark while getting new mlp..unless I get it from the thrift store.
I just got an estate %100 complete with box and I just can't seem to enjoy it like I would have years ago..where I would have just cried like a baby to get it.

I don't think it's burn out..
I am not sure what it is. G1 MLP is a huge identy for me but I just don't seem to buy alot of it anymore. I just love MLP when I see them.
:accomplished:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Why Do I Not Feel The Need To Collect Anymore? - still love MLP
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 02:12:18 AM »
I hardly buy any new ones now. There was s time when I was really keen about accumulating new ones but now I'm just chasing a few items. But I'm still a very keen collector and I love to work on customs.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 02:26:20 AM »
Maybe you feel like you do not have enough room for any newcomer, maybe they feel too expensive compared to your current financial situation or you maybe have a nerverending list of ponies waiting for a spa or restoration.

Keeping a colletion is a more difficult task than peple would imagine. They are many more aspects than "hoard and display". It's normal to feel a bit overwhelmed or tired by your collection's needs. That's maybe why you can't have postive feelings over buying fresh and expensive ponies. Also, Paradise Estate is a huge playset, so that would make sense for the "lack of space" part.

Don't worry though, your love for mlp is still there. Maybe take a break, focus on your essentials, what makes you happy and take your time. Soon enough you will appreciate your collection a bit more than now and when you'll feel ready to buy new ponies and be happy about it.

Take care. :hug:
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 02:37:59 AM »
If you've been collecting as long or longer than I have (approaching 15 years), you will reach a point of having all  but the priciest of Ponies & accessories in your collection, which means what's left is harder to find AND harder to afford, so you're less likely to find something new & thrilling when you hunt. That takes a lot of the excitement away. Kind of glad I came here when I did, as barely on here a week & somebody has two Ponies I've wanted for a while!!! Still, that can get to few & far between.

Yep, storage becomes an issue as well. For Paradise Estate I saw another collector had split hers in half, so I did the same wi mine to make display easier if that helps (patio & two rooms attached for the first half, swimming pool & the other rooms for the second).
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:47:19 AM »
Priorities and tastes can change as we get older :)

I'm almost opposite. I have joy when buying ponies, but not necessarily having them.

I had to thin the herd because really they weren't bringing me happiness-- even some childhood ponies (gasp). I'm down to a small number and cherish what I have. I still wanna buy, but I don't*.

*there's small exceptions to that, but it's a well thought out thing rather then impulse
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 03:49:40 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:48:21 AM »
PE is great if you're in it for a complete collection;  anywhoo congrats!!
Seems like the market is just so overinflated for cost right now, especially for the HTF stuff as Ponybookworm mentioned. I'm in the same boat as you tbh; I've taken a big step away from social media just to save up some funds and not freak at the prices of ponies. I know what my wish list is, but I am deterred because of cost. (Plus I got burned on a sea pony float (had the wrong one sent) recently so I'm still feeling a bit sad from that.)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 06:18:07 AM »
I think it’s natural to go through waves as a collector! :) I have gone through spells where I don’t really feel like buying more ponies. Often for me it’s either a lack of space or a lack of funds.

You mentioned only feeling that spark if you buy from a thrift store. I’m kind of the same way. At this point I have most common ponies, so I don’t find much I “need” in the wild anymore, so I do buy more online. But there’s definitely something thrilling about finding a pony when you’re not expecting it! If that’s what makes you happy there’s nothing wrong with buying less ponies for a while. Besides, there are only so many to collect anyway :P

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 07:12:55 AM »
I think it's much more fun to find a pony at a thrift store or for real cheap in an eBay lot than it is to just...buy it. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and that's what keeps me going. Although actually adding to my collection now isn't a big drive, I'm more happy to clean up doubles from the thrift store and sell them.
There are plenty of people not actively buying but still in the community. Priorities do change!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 07:42:26 AM »
That's okay. Sometimes you either get burnt out, or maybe your just done collecting. I recently decided that I was done collecting model horses with "maybe" the occasional impulse buy. Collecting is one part of the equation. Enjoying what you've got is another part.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 07:57:48 AM »
We change as we grow up and things also come back with time! What your feeling is normal for any collector of any kind of things! There is no need to worry. Put your pony stuff away and don't look at it for a while. Just don't go and sell it all! I have done that a few times and really wished that I did not! I also make my collection smaller and keep only the ones that I love to see!

Offline Septima Windsong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 01:37:43 AM »
I absolutely agree with everyone. Things change with time and it's normal. I remember how glad was I after getting new ponies when I was younger, I could spend a whole day taking care of them! Now when I just don't have so much time for this it doesn't mean there's no more special place for ponies in my heart :) Plus, after almost ten years of collecting I think my collection is nearly completed. I still seek for G1s, need some G3s and Equestria Girls Minis, but they're not the top priority. Sometimes it's really good to take a break in collecting to review everything you've got. Ponies bring more joy if you buy them less frequently :) I don't know about you, but it works for me! Maybe that's because I'm still glad about adding Seashell in my collection :)

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 04:25:40 AM »
Same, I love my ponies and look at them everyday but I'm not really interested in getting new ones at the moment

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 05:41:05 AM »
Same here. I'm content with what I have now, and the new ponies right now are just... eh... :P

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 07:19:13 AM »
It's pretty normal to go through phases as a collector. I was at a point for a few years that I didn't buy anything new. I was more than done with mane six variants and not finding much locally secondhand. HQG1Cs and the Basic Fun rereleases very recently renewed my interest in collecting. New pony goals to achieve.  :biggrin:

Take a break if you don't feel like collecting. You may start up again, you may not. Either way, don't stress about it. :hug:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:33:14 AM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 09:03:42 AM »
I have similar feelings as of late.  It might be a diminished Novelty Factor.  Like, I've sort of accumulated all this knowledge about MLP and I feel like there's not much more to learn - in most cases.  and not much more types of different MLP to collect..

For example I've seen G3.5 recently at thrift and like a forbidden fruit they've begun to capture my interest... kinda.  I've never collected G3.5 so they're novelty is fresh and it has a pull I must admit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal