collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your collecting limitations? Do you have any?  (Read 4935 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: What are your collecting limitations? Do you have any?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 09:26:58 AM »
No fakies.

No BBEs, Perfume Puffs, FTs (Dutch Baby Cat is the one and only exception), So Softs (deflocks okay!), G4 snowglobe ponies...

No MOCs/MIPs; too expensive and no point since I'd just decard 'em anyway! I have no problems deboxing G3s, though.

I only get what I like. I'm not a completionist. (In general... I tend to be a completionist for odd little sets like Kinder Surprise, etc. But they're usually cheap and tiny, so they don't take up much space :P) On the rare occasion I do find a pony in the wild, I'm not going to bring it home if I've already got it, don't want it, or it's manky/baity/etc. It'll make someone else happier, no point getting it for the sake of it!

No G3.5 - they just don't appeal. No Pony Lifes, either, but since they're so new... well, never say never. I disliked EQG at first, too, and now I've got tons of them. x) don't see that happening with PL, but you never know!

And the most important rule: every rule is made to be broken. ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 12:49:32 PM by Carrehz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »
No fakies.

No BBEs, Perfume Puffs, FTs (Dutch Baby Cat is the one and only exception), So Softs (deflocks okay!), G4 snowglobe ponies...

No MOCs/MIPs; too expensive and no point since I'd just decard 'em anyway! I have problems deboxing G3s, though.

I only get what I like. I'm not a completionist. (In general... I tend to be a completionist for odd little sets like Kinder Surprise, etc. But they're usually cheap and tiny, so they don't take up much space :P) On the rare occasion I do find a pony in the wild, I'm not going to bring it home if I've already got it, don't want it, or it's manky/baity/etc. It'll make someone else happier, no point getting it for the sake of it!

No G3.5 - they just don't appeal. No Pony Lifes, either, but since they're so new... well, never say never. I disliked EQG at first, too, and now I've got tons of them. x) don't see that happening with PL, but you never know!

And the most important rule: every rule is made to be broken. ;)

XD
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 11:07:00 AM »
I've become far more particular about condition over the years. :whoa: This is one reason why I haven't ventured deeper into the Nirvana forest...because so many of the uber rare Nirvanas are so OOAK they're in pretty beat up shape once you get them.

Brazilian Milky Way...I'm still coming for you.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 12:13:58 PM »
Forgot about Fakies. I have a lot of them but I don't want them.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2020, 12:39:13 PM »
I've become far more particular about condition over the years. :whoa: This is one reason why I haven't ventured deeper into the Nirvana forest...because so many of the uber rare Nirvanas are so OOAK they're in pretty beat up shape once you get them.

yeah, this is one reason I'm not that into Nirvanas, either. I just can't bring myself to pay top dollar for a beaten up old pony that's missing half her hair and her eyes have rubbed off, you know?

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2020, 03:03:50 PM »
"Why I can't add more ponies to my herd"-limitations:

- Normally I would say cash too, but it's not really a valid reason anymore since I started a Sylvanian Families collection a year ago. They are awfully expensive, and yet I buy them... So you could probably say that Sylvanian Families are blocking the road, since I can't afford both. :P

- I don't have the energy to go to fleamarkets everywhere, so I just limit myself to the big Kingsday fleamarket every year.

"What is and isn't welcome in your collection"-limitations:

- To get right to the point: G1 only. Other generations just aren't ponies to me (no offense to anyone!).

- I'm quite picky, so ponies in poor condition will probably end up in storage, waiting for an upgrade. Until I find one, I "don't have" that pony yet. And yes, I do feel awful about that. :lookround:

- I'm not into Nirvanas, although I have a tiny selection of them of my wishlist.

- I do like original G1 merchandise! I used to buy the retro stuff too (from Primark), but I'm over that. I love the items I have (especially the denim jacket! :heart:  :frolic: ), but all in all it's too modern looking for me.

- I also really like Fairy Tails, which I consider part of my pony collection.

- As lovely as the HQG1C ponies are, I don't collect them because they just aren't real My Little Pony. However, I do like them, and there are a few that I'd love to have.

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »
My collecting goal is to have all the orange ponies... but I don't think it will be possible due to Nirvanas (unless I win the lottery or something). Other than that, it's just... what I like? I "only" collect orange ponies. Buuuuut, I also have yellow ponies and certain G1s that are not orange or yellow. So I'm not very good at limiting myself :P

I definitely don't do dolls though. Maybe one day, if I have almost everything else, I might get an Applejack EQG or something. Just one. Maybe.

I'm not too fussed about the HQG1C... but I did get a pearly Kitty Love (because she's orange) and Pretty Bow (because she's rainbows). I suppose if they do other orange ones, especially a Big Brother, I'd get them too. They aren't priority though.

I'm not into second hand stuffed animals (I have a bit of a phobia...) so that's out. Even a G1 Applejack (if there is one? I dunno). I'd do a newly made stuffed custom though!

Speaking of, my custom collection is almost as big as my Hasbro collection. It's been a while since I bought a new one, but that's mainly because so many customizers either got out of the hobby or are on Instagram, which I have yet to join. I'm certainly not done collecting them. I love customs, they got me into ponies in the first place :P

Blind Bags... I have a lot of them. Again, I'd really only like the orange ones but I ended up with a bunch of others too. I don't think I have all the orange ones. Same goes for "other" G4 merch. Like, I have a bunch of different AJ's but not *every* AJ ever. I don't know if I ever will. There's just so much.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Mysticmints

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »
i don't really have much

g1: mostly anything goes, though i wont buy doubles if i can help it (like if theyre in a lot i cant do anything) though i do have a few faves i will def pick up doubles of (ss buttons, masquerade)
g2: a free for all. theyre hard to come by here so i just realize im lucky and snap em up
g3: only the ones i actually like. no doubles with the exception of special releases of core toola roola
g3.5: unpopular opinion, i like these. they have set hairstyles so thats fun to replicate and their hair is actually super nice! soft and theres a lot of it.
g4: absolutely no mane 6. i dont really like g4. ill just pick up the more uncommon characters because well, theyre uncommon. also some are cute
g4.5: NONONONO. NO.NOPE. I HATE THESE......
g4.5.5: these are okay but still nah. ill only pick one up if they finally make,,, a cheese sandwich brushable bc,,,, i love him. speaking of that it wont be that hard!!! they dont make the boys because the hair is hard but his wont be. just give him medium length hair and curl the crap out of it and hell look great.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 06:33:08 PM »
Money is my limitation.

Collection wise, G1 only other than one G4 Applejack and one G4 Fluttershy, and one G3 named Autumn something or other. 

No Sweetheart Sisters. 
No bride/colorswirl/eyelash ponies. 
No teeny tiny babies.  Weird babies.
No cutesaurus.  Didn't make sense.  A dinosaur?  Did not want Kingsley or Edgar either, but they happened to come in a lot, so...
No second set princess ponies.  Weird forelock tinsel.  When I was in my twenties, I was anti all princess ponies, because how in the world could an animal exist with huge metal junk hanging off their butts.  But as I got older, I allowed the first set into my collection.
I was anti perfume puff in my twenties as well, but that too has changed.
No dream beauties.
No giant monster babies.
I was anti sparkle pony when I was a kid, though I did send off for mail order Star Hopper with my horseshoe points.  Later I would seek them all out.

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 09:21:07 PM »
My main rules are that my collection is primarly G1, but I don't rule out the possibility of adding some G2s or regular G3s in the future, on the other hand, I am not interested in G3.5 and especially not in anything related to G4. I also mostly focus on the ponies that had animated appearances, but there are also many others I'm interested in, like Speedy, Parasol or Sprinkles. I am also against duplicates/armies since I hate redundancy, maybe except for some ponies that had interesting alternate poses, like Brazilian Wind Whistler. On top of that, I am not into baity ponies, so i'm not interested in spending a few dollars on a dirty pony with missing plugs and badly scratched symbols, I'd rather pay more for one in a good condition. I think that's it?
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2020, 09:32:21 PM »
1. No buying duplicates. I'm starting to get low on space, so I don't want to buy ponies I already own. The only exception are upgrades, but even then I'm picky. If the pony I already own displays nicely, I'll only get am upgrade if it's a really good deal and I know I can sell or trade the one I've already got.

2. Fakies. I don't collect them and I have no intention to. I've got three, but those are the exception and I don't want anymore. I've never really been a fan of fakies.

3. G4 blind bags. I've got a ton, so I tend to avoid buying them when I find them. Any that I do end up with either get customized or they go to my niece.

4. Plushies. Unless they're near-mint, I don't really want them, especially if they're G3. If they don't have their tush-tags, or they've got noticeable wear and tear, I don't want them. They take up a lot of space and I don't really have a good way to display them. They usually just end up taking space on my bed.

5. Overpriced ponies. If I'm at a flea market and someone's charging $10 for a Blue Belle or a Gusty, it's a pass from me. Someone at a local flea market tried charging $20 for a Baby Ember with horribly scratched eyes and a haircut! I go to fleas and thrift stores to get cheap ponies, not to pay eBay prices. The only time I'd pay more than $10 at these places is for a rare pony.

6. G2s with no eye gems. Even if just one is missing, I don't want it. Both gems, or it's a pass from me.

7. Only buy expensive ponies in person. I'm too scared to pay for an expensive pony online and risk being scammed, no matter the seller. Even if they say there's no flaws, I don't want to take the chance that there are flaws that I wasn't told about. I'd rather see the pony in person before I make such a large purchase.

8. No more Mane 6 for me. Well, everyone except for Twilight. Unless it's a more unique version of a Mane 6 pony, I'm just not interested. But I'll take a new Twilight any day.

9. Poor condition ponies. I'm not too picky with common ponies (rare ones are more expensive to upgrade so I'd rather just wait and find a mint one) but ones with really noticeable flaws probably won't find a home with me. Marks and stains are fine as long as their small and not visible on display. Haircuts don't bother me if I can disguise it by styling the hair a certain way. But age spots and large sharpie stains won't cut it for me. If I do end up with such a poor condition pony, I'll either customize it or give it to my niece.

10. Nirvana. I'm not too interested in Nirvana ponies unless it's a pony I really like, such as Twilight. And even then I'm not a big fan of the alternate colors that some nirvanas have.

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 02:38:29 AM »
I get stressed if I have too much stuff, so I am only displaying some of my toys and trying to avoid buying more! My rule at the moment is "don't buy anything with eyes" :lol:. That does mean I'm still allowed to buy accessories and cute miniature things to use in photos though!

My exception would be if I find something really awesome in a charity shop. I'm not actively hunting, so if I see something amazing while strolling past the local charity shop, it's obviously meant to be :)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 05:45:09 AM »
I do not collect G2, G3.5 or G4. I only allow fakies if they are fully GITD (thus far I have only one on display).
Only certain G3's are allowed, and they must be to my liking, mainly babies, SLH or other non-core releases.
(While I may have 3.5's and 4's they are solely for customs or re-selling.)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 05:56:56 AM »
I forgot about fakies. The only one I really, really want is an orange Princess Rinse 'n Spit.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2020, 05:58:13 AM »
1. I will not collect g3.5 or newborn cuties, with the exception of the pinkie pie grocery store set from my childhood. They’re just...I never really truly liked it as a generation. G3 is fine, just the chibi and newborn cuties.
2. I will not seek out MIB/MOC ponies, as I kinda like being able to brush them or otherwise display them. If I happened upon one that was for say, an exceptionally good price...then maybe I would buy it. But I don’t seek them out as the only thing to collect.
3. Fakies are generally not okay. The exception is princess rinse n’ spit.
4. I would prefer not to have duplicates, if I can help it. Space is a problem for me, and I feel bad about upgrading a pony I know I’ve played with. It’s strange, but I’ve just never liked abandoning or otherwise trading out toys.
5. Do not buy expensive ponies unless on here or in person. I have never been scammed, and I have no intention of starting now!
6. There is an exception to every rule, even this rule.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 05:59:49 AM by Mewtwofan1 »
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal