collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your collecting limitations? Do you have any?  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
What are your collecting limitations? Do you have any?
« on: March 07, 2020, 03:47:24 PM »
What are your collection limitations? Do you even have any?

My apologies if this has been discussed to the moon and back! I know there was at least one very old thread about this but I figured I would make a new one!

It seems like for every "rule" I put in place though, one pony always skirts it as an exception, lol. These aren't strict guidelines for me, just personal preferences.
For example (oh jeez prepare for some rambling! I put the horizontal rules in here cause even the bulletpoints didn't seem to break up the overwhelming WALL of text)

• I don't collect .5 gens. They are simply just not allowed in my collection. (I made ONE exception for Potion Nova, because she's a new character and honestly grew on me. And MAYBE one day I'll get Rainbow Dash's Mom from G4.5, she's the only one I even remotely kind of like, and it'd just be to say I have one of every gen.)

• I only collect boys from Reboot G4. I don't like the faces or poses of the girls.

• I also only collect boys from the Funko ponies, because unfortunately they didn't make brushables of most of them. I only have Dr Whooves and Big Mac, though. (Big Mac came later but only the All About version and I didn't like those either, though I did make an exception for Soarin, he's pretty rad. I am just so picky with G4 overall, lol)

• Only brushables get to live with the herd. (Except the aforementioned two Funkos, and two G4 Breezies! They live with the other G4s.) I briefly collected the blindbags too, but they just don't appeal to me. Anything without brushable hair just feels like weird merch to me, imo, honestly even G1 Petites. I do have a few things, like the handful of blindbags, a couple keychains and ornaments, one Playskool mini chibi pony, but they don't live with the herd- They go on top of the pony shelf, where the Randos live. They're their own thing.

• No duplicates. The only exceptions I've made to this are two G3 Mintys, but different versions- One was a gift from another lovely member here, and the other is I have two G4 Dewdrop Dazzles- thrifted both of them, but one is SO crazy sunfaded she looks like a different pony. So that's just her sister, in my mind. Maybe uh, Dazzle Dewdrop? lol. And I do have two different versions of G4 Luna, but one is a Water Cutie so she gets a pass, cause those are awesome.

• I don't really collect customs, and I don't make them (anymore. I made a few several years back.) Nothing against them though, at all! I LOVE looking at other peoples! Maybe someday I'll finally get one! There are so many amazing customs out there. If I did, though, they'd live on the top shelf with the Randos, not the herd. Only because it just wouldn't fit the look or style of the other ponies.

• No G2's with magnets in their noses or "action figure" abilities, with the exception of the ones that only have moving back legs so they can sit, those look okay. I just don't like how clunky it all looks, it wasn't as gracefully pulled off as it was in G1 or G3. I don't like G4s with moving parts, either.

• I don't collect MIB or MOC. If I buy a new pony, I free them immediately! And I actively avoid buying vintage ponies in box still because I don't want to ruin them by taking them out, there are so few left, and I leave those to mint collectors. One exception is my First 50 Coconut Grove, and I know they're essentially worthless, but she has sentimental value, my mother won her for me when I was really young in some contest, and made me keep her in box (she thought she'd be worth tons later on) and got me a second one to free from the plastic box prison.

• All ponies with haircuts or minor markings are allowed! Even missing tails and such. Mostly just ones I find thrifting, and honestly some of their haircuts look really good! I got a G3 Heart Bright with a really nice bob-hairdo the other day and it honestly really suits her. I like to try and fix up marked ponies, but I don't know how to rehair. But no ponies with missing body parts or chewed up body parts are allowed! I just don't have the sculpting skills that some collectors do to fix them up properly, so they'd be eternally wounded/mutilated if they joined my herd, and I don't really like the look of that.

• I don't really collect much merch but I'm not opposed to it. I just don't usually actively seek it out. I have some stuff.

• I keep all my gens separated on the shelves. As a kid I always felt like this was some sort of unfair pony segregation and generation discrimination, and they should all be allowed to mingle and hang out together, lol. But as I got older I decided it just looks better to have all the gens separated. But things like repro G1s and HQG1Cs are allowed with the G1s, since they're nearly indistinguishable, and look good together. (Looking at you, my headcanon brothers Ice Crystal & Dasher!)

WHEW! I think that's it. If there's any thing else I think of later I'll add it!

Tell me about your collection "rules!"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 07:21:07 PM by Esbayne »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: What are your collecting limitations? Do you have any?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
Yeah. Space and cash. A collector's natural enemies.

I don't like articulated toys, but I do have exceptions. In my defense, I didn't realize at the time that the Peekaboos or Ice Skaters could move. And I decided to buy a few TLS Ponies to encourage Hasbro to make more old gen stuff. They're actually pretty cute.

Exceptions:
Peek-a-boos
Playtime Baby Bros
Ice Skater (and custom)
Loyal Subjects

You won't ever catch me with Magic Motions or Ballerinas however.

I'll pass on every BBE aside from Frosting

The bead haired G4s are hideous

I try to keep doubles to near non-existent, but I have more then one RD and FS.

I like the DnP's colors and symbols,  but their knobs? Uh uh. Forget it!

I refuse to EVER have a single Perfume Puff. That hair looks awful.

I refuse to have 3.5s and Reveal the Magic toys. Ever!

No Teeny Tinies.

No Great Hair-Dos.

No ponies above my uppermost spending limit. A few dollars for shipping is okay though.
Since I finally got my Grail SS Twilight for $40.00+SnH this year.

No G2 babies.

Here's some strange me only rules, but my top two fave sets, TEs and SS aren't allowed to have more members then the other.

I won't separate twins, but I don't like most of them, so no Bunkie or Dibbles for me.

I will separate Family Ponies though.

If a boxed G3  pony comes into my possession, you can bet your sweet rear that I WILL rip it open without a single ounce of remorse. I collect toys not boxes and boxes take up more space anyway.

No rotting hair G3s or Divine Shines. The Avons and DS girls are absolutely gorgeous but I couldn't deal with their issues.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:43:29 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
Space and money pretty much fits me as well.

G1 - anything goes, if I have space for it.
When it comes to MIP, I collect US packaged stuff selectively since it's not really my focus.
I don't obsessively look for petites but I will keep the ones I don't have. Ditto charms.
I don't really do Nirvana unless I like them. It's much more specific than general.

G2 - I buy what I like if I can afford it, but don't focus on it.

G3 - ditto G2. A lot of those come in by accident from second hand finds rather than my going out to look for them. I also avoid those with known hair rot issues and the glittery ones (aside the one I had from new, who lives on my desk so as not to sticky her friends).

G4 - Aside some BB ponies, they need to be brushables. I don't do action figures or any of those things. No Funko. Nothing like that. And I have a thing against mane 6. I do have all of the M6 in some form at least once, but my real focus is the non-mane 6 releases.

G2-4 are limited by price. I am really cheap when it comes to G2-4. I don't like spending a lot on G1 either, but (at times when I have money for ponies, not as a rule) I might sometimes splurge on something special.

Plushes are majorly limited by space and cash.

I don't really do merch except backcards/comics/leaflets/stuff that contributes to the pony history. I have some merch from carboots and my childhood but I don't look for it and don't want it for G2-4 either really.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »
My restrictions are: 1/ only the following are allowed carbon copies: Twisty Tail, Starcatcher, Trixiebelle, Twilight Sparkle, Butterscotch. Every other Pony must be unique or at least have a decent difference (some of the Newborn Twin sets are similar enough I did manage to bend the rule for Napper's MO twin due to her different hair colour). This is why I'd love a couple of Argentina Ponies: they look different enough from their counterparts.
2/ Brushables are the main focus. I won't get a G4 blind bag who doesn't have a brushable equivalent for example.
3/ The unicorns & pegasi should be of equal numbers, which is why I'm NEVER getting NBT Rattles & Tattles & why Jabber & Jebber are waiting, alongside Dutch Baby Rabbit.
4/ There is far too much pink in G3, so I only get fave pink ones, & some are left by the wayside, like Magic marigold, Jazz Matazz, Charm Bracelet & others.
5/ Since I make Custom Ponies, I'm unlikely to commission a Pony unless they're one I can't do (eg flocked). I've yet to Customise for somebody else, due to not considering myself skilled enough to sell. If an exchange thing is offered or a gifting opportunity, I might dabble but the result won't be perfect.
Edit here: 6/ I keep backcards, & collect them, but the plastic packaging goes to recycling (it can here yaiy).
7/ Accessory-wise, there are very few brushes & combs I actually want. i do want Twisty Tail's brush & comb because Twisty Tail. But plain combs, flower brushes, bow brushes, star combs, bear brushes, fish brushes etc, NOPE. If your Pony set is on my Wantlist & comes wi everything but the brush/comb, that makes it more desirable for me, not less

That's pretty much it, except budget. Edit where stated
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:41:49 PM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 06:25:53 PM »
Not many, but:

1. No exact duplicates. I live with my parents and brother still, so all of my belongings are confined to my bedroom, I have several collections, so I only have so much space. I'm fine with multiple versions of the same pony being in my collection (this of course happens a lot with Core 7 and Mane 6 ponies), but they cannot be the exact same release of the character in question, they all have to be different releases. This applies to every collection of mine - no exact duplicates.

2. I also keep generations displayed in their own spots, feels neater and more organized rather than all gens sharing shelves.

This rule is more recent upon further having less space:

3. No more buying every single pony or piece of pony merch I see when thrifting. Mostly the part about ponies themselves pertains to Mane 6. If it's a Mane 6 toy I don't own that I like a fair bit I'll get it, but I'm done going out of my way to pick up ones in thrift stores that I don't own if they're really plain or they have a gimmick I don't love a lot, same rule I had been applying to buying them new, but now applies to secondhand as well. If I end up with them through lots or in a bag together with other ponies I want I'll keep them if they are different to the rest of them, but I won't be going out of my way for them any more. Not with how little space I have at this point, plus it's hard to keep track of what I own in terms of the more basic looking ones anyway. Merch is similar in that I'm much more picky with it now than when I started as the more I get the less space I have.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:36:36 AM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 06:40:05 PM »
Space and cash don't really limit me, but my comfort level with owning "stuff" does limit me.

1) I collect what I really like. I'm not going to "rescue" ponies if I see them at a thrift store and do not want them.

2) I try to evaluate my collection Marie Kondo style if I feel like it's too overwhelming.

3) If I can, I stick to a 1 in 1 out rule to avoid #2.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 07:20:15 PM »
Definitely reminded me of a few extras, too!

I don't spend much on G3 or 4 either, and G2 I'll only spend so much on ponies individually. I usually stick to thrifting G3 and G4, especially because they're a dime a dozen here. Though there's a few G3s I'll probably eventually go out of my way to add to my herd.

I also don't thrift every pony I see, either- Only ones I don't already have, and that I like. Luckily around here that still ends up being a lot.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 09:43:00 PM »
I tend to look exclusively at pony lots after having a few strokes of excellent luck. A few exceptions but if I die-hard need a pony, I'll just watch lots for a week and see if she comes up. I did get Autumn Crisp and Fancy Flora this way!
If I'm in the wild, pick up any newbies that aren't overpriced or ones that I can resell! I've gotten a bit more excited about selling them on eBay than for my own collection at this point because space is becoming sparse. I pick up just about any G1 I find unless she's overpriced and common.
I tend to avoid ty and Aurora plush when I thrift. Not sure what their going price is but I don't think it's high enough to justify them.
Now that I've sold off my Equestria Girls, I won't keep any I find!
I can't see myself buying the blind bags. Ill keep them if I come across them but not go out of my way for them.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 09:44:27 PM »
I'm a bit limited by space but I try to only rescue G1s I find at thrift and since I only find one or two every couple of months it isn't like I'm adding a lot.  I haven't found a G2 in the wild in years but I suppose if I came across any I'd probably rescue it in order to make sure it went to a good home.  I have a bunch of G3s that I rescued before making the decision to stop rescuing every pony I saw that I am working on re-homing because I just don't want them anymore.  I've kept my few favorites from the bunch but I won't miss the rest.  I've got a box of G4 duplicates (mostly Pinkie Pie) that I plan to customize as soon as I get some time but if I don't get around to it I can always move them along when I need the space.

I don't actively seek any MIB or MOC because I tend to debox due to space reasons.  Let's face it, a single pony takes up way less space than the packaging does.

Online Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
I don't collect Equestria Girls anything (except the Kinder egg TS dolls & maybe the TS ornament wi the human & the Pony in it, but I got the former by chance looking for the Pony toys), so that's another thing I don't do. My doll people are doll people & my Ponies are Ponies, & never the twain shall meet as the saying goes
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 11:28:14 PM »
@Esbayne: I also only bought boys from the re-boot except Tempest Shadow and that yellow one with black an white hair that Taffata really likes  : ^.^ I don't mind seeing new charracters in those poses but the mane 6 look odd to me. I sometimes buy the occasional character from a line I wouldn't otherwise go for, like Spike from BAB is an amazing plush and Discord from Funko is great becasue he's the right size against my G4 brushables and he's a great figure too.

I have loads of rules like this about my G1 collection. There are a lot of gimmicks I'm not a fan of so I avoid them. I break a lot off my own rules too, like I have a handful of G2s, G3.5s and fakies around as well. I discover new things sometimes too, like ponies can be too perfect in terms of condition. I actually managed to get a NM Gingerbread with a pink stripe and original accessories once. She was amazing. But I sold her within a few months. I was just waiting for the day an age spot appeared and couldn't bear it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:30:53 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Septima Windsong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 01:45:49 AM »
My collecting limitations are almost like yours =)

1) I won't buy a pony if it's really overpriced.
2) I won't keep duplicates, but there are some exceptions for Rainbow Dash and Minty =) They're never enough!
3) I only buy ones I really like. Of course I like having some rare ponies in my collection, but in my opinion not all the rares are appealing.
4) I don't collect fakies. I wanted My Little Ponies as a kid but had only fakies instead, so there's no way I will collect them.
5) Ponies of every condition are welcome, but some very bad ones will probably get a new home.
6) I don't collect Funko and other non-Hasbro ponies on purpose, but I keep some like McDonald's ones.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 03:50:18 AM »
I only collect what I like 100%
I am not a completionist. I set myself varying limitations on how many items I can have based on price, space and theme. Price point is super important. Like, yes, I'd love to have Mimic. But no way I am going to pay a month worth of health insurance for a hunk of rubber :P

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 03:52:10 AM »
My only true limits are money and space.

I will only collect g1's and not everypony from that generation. Just the ones i like, nut that's almost everyone.

I'm also not buying expensive variant nirvana's, but I will try to get piggies.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 09:09:06 AM »
Ah yeah, absolute hard no on fakies. Fakies are not My Little Ponies. They are at best a whole other collection, and one I have no interest in.

Fakies never used to be so popular. I'm way too old school on this - to me they're still...a no.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal