collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Collection Websites?  (Read 1477 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Collection Websites?
« on: March 02, 2020, 12:26:18 PM »
Howdy, y'all.
Just wondering if anyone uses a personal website like a Weebly or a Wikia to track their collection. My MLPMerch checklist barely loads (I blame the trading cards) and I'd love to have something a bit more in-depth. Even though I still loose things in my room all the time.  >_< At least I'd have pictures, y'know? I think it would be cool to track upgrades and where I got certain ponies, etc.
I know some of you guys have your own domains and that would be cool and might be a neat thing to learn web design or whatnot, but I'd be scared about photo hosting expenses. Lotsa horsies, lotsa photos. Photatoes.
I do have a Tumblr and am very familiar with their posting/tagging system, but it's not the most...ergonomic? Not being able to search multiple tags kills me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
Re: Collection Websites?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »
I have a free weebly site for my collection! Here it is, if you'd like to see it <3

It's a bit slow to upload on pages that have a lot of photos, but it works well enough for me <3 I would love to see more people having their own sites for their ponies again, I know social media is basically where people show off their stuff now but I sometimes miss the good ol' days of just browsing people's pony sites.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 05:12:44 AM »
How about something in Google docs, like a spreadsheet? To spiff it up, you can even embed image into cells, normalizing their size: https://productivityspot.com/insert-image-cell-google-sheets/

It won't be as snazzy (maybe?) as a full featured, private web site, but it would be highly functional and sharable.

Offline Fizzy Scrumptious

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Truly_Scumptious on the MLPTP! <3
    • View Profile
    • Pink Dreams Ponyland
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 06:20:53 AM »
I've been trying to put together a pony website for a while on weebly, but being the extra person I am, I've also been trying to do a ponylandpress-esque Ponyland section talking about my ponies' families, personalities, etc, so it's, uh, not done yet. ^^;

I have a free weebly site for my collection! Here it is, if you'd like to see it <3

thanks for sharing Jordan, I love seeing people's pony sites!! I like how you organize yours! :~)

:rainbow: they/them :rainbow: | wishlist | art thread
thank you tailrustedtealeaf for the lovely icon and Strawberry Swirl for the left-side adoptable in my sig :heart:

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 07:34:39 AM »
I have plans of making a new pony website but I have my own domain and webspace so I don't know what free places might be good.

I know Flickr isn't for making websites but you can make albums there and in that way organize photos of your collection. You can add descriptions and tags to the photos and you can search more than one tag at once. You can have 1000 photos on a free account.
I hope you find a solution.

It's a bit slow to upload on pages that have a lot of photos, but it works well enough for me <3 I would love to see more people having their own sites for their ponies again, I know social media is basically where people show off their stuff now but I sometimes miss the good ol' days of just browsing people's pony sites.
I miss browsing people's pony sites, too. I really enjoyed that and I enjoyed looking at yours just now :)

I've been trying to put together a pony website for a while on weebly, but being the extra person I am, I've also been trying to do a ponylandpress-esque Ponyland section talking about my ponies' families, personalities, etc, so it's, uh, not done yet. ^^;
I would love to visit that when your done with it. That kind of personal pony sites are my favorite! :)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 10:48:11 AM »

Site faved xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 01:28:37 PM »
I don't really have a site for my collection any more...many of them are on the ID site 'working', but not all of them (for example most of my Nirvana ponies have no place on the site xD, nor do myother gens). I have a spreadsheet and photo files but I admit that the G1 photos are all over the place compared to G2 and G3 which are very organised in comparison. I have a lot of things on my to do list but never enough time to do any of them. It's a miracle that the ID site is running still tbh.

I think it's probably easier to catalogue a collection from scratch as you go along than try to backnote a collection after you've amassed it :/

Social media killed proper private collector websites a long time ago...it's a shame. I'd love to go back to a time where people didn't link everything to their FB/IG/Tumblr about their pony finds but instead took the time to make a proper site and share it. When their stories and their artwork were on their own sites, too. Even if it's on one of those free servers with ads...they were still much more 'real' somehow.

Also back in the days where you didn't have every single photo posed and primped to get hits and follows and likes...I am being old grumpy now, but in the late 1990s, you either had to take a physical photo, get it developed and scan it up online, or you put the pony in the scanner and that was how you shared images. Or you didn't take photos of your ponies, but you talked about them instead. You had to, because you couldn't do the polished things you can do with pictures now. Sure, there's a place for those on the internet, but I think it's sad. It makes them seem like trinkets and trophies, rather than treasures, because the stories behind them aren't being shared any more.

It's why it's so nice when people share their stories of finds and memories here, because at least it keeps a part of that still alive.

Kudos to people still doing that <3
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »
Well said, Taffeta
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 02:53:29 PM »
Oo, I was really considering making a MediaWiki of some sort (not sure how to host my own website but I really could learn probably. Would be neat to have on my resume) and a Flickr sounds like a great thing to do in the meantime! Weebly is cool to have up but I do really want something with tags to look at, like, all Blue G3 ponies or something.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
Good luck :)

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 04:20:16 AM »
I use Flickr to catalogue my collection. I have albums for each generation, also plushies, merch (which I should maybe further divide), mini ponies, etc. it’s really handy for keeping track of whose accessories I have (I have no problem remembering ponies but there’s too many accessories to keep track in my head). The yearly payment if you want more than 1000 photos is really reasonable, as well.

Elf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal