collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you color in MLP coloring books?  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Delphian

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Depends Pony
    • View Profile
How do you color in MLP coloring books?
« on: March 01, 2020, 02:42:59 PM »
I realized that I prefer to make up new colors for ponies rather than color them in "correctly." I also like to make variants to ponies like giving Pinkie Pie red and cream hair. So... am I alone in this? Do you like making up your own pony colors or do you prefer the cannon colors and try really hard to match them perfectly?

Examples:
Here's Cheerilee with spring green and yellow colors.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And here's Pinkie with red/cream/pink hair.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: How do you color in MLP coloring books?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 04:26:06 PM »
Any color that strikes my fancy.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
Scan the pages, turn the pictures into blanks & use the blanks as bases for designing Customs. I like to scan them then also I can share them with everybody, plus the original books are still untouched
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 06:00:19 AM »
I had the G1 retro colouring book for my birthday.

I'm colouring the ponies in accurately and having fun experimenting with how to do their hair in different ways. There's plenty of other stuff in the pictures for me to experiment with colour on as well - butterflies, rainbows, etc.

Mildly annoyed when a pony has the wrong species, although impressed that the book includes randoms like Daisy Sweet and Talk A Lot in among the rest.

When a pony isn't identifiable , I'm choosing (for example, Majesty).

I'm colouring the actual book because it's a retro thing, it's not an original.

My original books from childhood, I coloured ponies mostly their proper colours, but I wouldn't colour any of those now and would copy the sheets if I wanted to colour from them.

I colour with pencil crayons. Felt tips go through the paper. I learned that as a kid xD

I have no G4 books.

As a kid I coloured some of the Design your own Pony pages in the fact file. I also traced these (the flutters especially) and invented a whole line of my own flutters - one of which I later made as a custom, but who knows where any of those images or the custom is now. We're talking 20 years + even since I made the custom (She was a Morning Glory with rainbow hair).

I also had some big posters of alicorns (non-MLP) and I used those to create a whole set of Alicorn MLP characters...decades before Hasbro decided alicorns were a thing. Not to be biased or anything, but I liked mine better >.>
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:03:15 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 06:21:29 AM »
I love to color! I color in G4 and G3 coloring books but mostly G4. At this point I'm just coloring them in as random species. I have a Springtime coloring book I brought to AP Macroeconomics and colored in each class. It was fun and I still aced the class.
Here's some pages from that one:
Spoiler

This was supposed to be Cadance but it's so light.
An issue I found with the Bendon coloring books is the ink tends to rub off of the back of whatever you're coloring and transfers to the page its touching. Not a huge issue when there's a page of activities with a page of coloring but VERY annoying when it's majority coloring.
When I go on vacation to the beach for a week I take one coloring book. This is from when I grabbed a book from Walmart because I didn't have any on me!
Spoiler

The G1 retro book came with me to work for a bit. I color in each pony faithful to their original iterations but if I've already colored in that pony previously (I go in order) then I'll see if they have a fun Nirvana and color it like that.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 06:23:55 AM »
This topic reminds me that I need to get that G1 retro coloring book. :D  I have a custom MLP coloring book that Gothic Sugar made. I make copies of the pages and then color them.  I try to color the ponies accurately.

An issue I found with the Bendon coloring books is the ink tends to rub off of the back of whatever you're coloring and transfers to the page its touching. Not a huge issue when there's a page of activities with a page of coloring but VERY annoying when it's majority coloring.
When I go on vacation to the beach for a week I take one coloring book. This is from when I grabbed a book from Walmart because I didn't have any on me!

I've noticed this too. I have a Bendon Strawberry Shortcake book and when I was finished the ink had rubbed off on the blank piece of paper that I had behind the page I was working on.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:25:43 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 03:41:55 AM »
I'd make up new colors ;) No pinks allowed on any pony.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »
:frolic: :frolic: :frolic:
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 01:49:06 PM »
I photocopy mine so I can color them over and over again! A lot of the times I’ll color them in like other ponies! Here’s a pic of a recent one I did! https://i.ibb.co/gWZcpVS/03-D3-AF45-FE89-426-B-B08-F-0-BAF541-E8180.jpg

As you can see different ponies inspired my color schemes! Ribbon,posey, tropical breeze, rainbow dash, minty...
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 04:06:04 PM »

Poor Pinkie Pie. :P

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ariana

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
This topic reminds me that I need to get that G1 retro coloring book. :D  I have a custom MLP coloring book that Gothic Sugar made. I make copies of the pages and then color them.  I try to color the ponies accurately.

I've noticed this too. I have a Bendon Strawberry Shortcake book and when I was finished the ink had rubbed off on the blank piece of paper that I had behind the page I was working on.

Ponyfan

Same! Only with Bendon for some reason. Maybe cheap ink?
What I do is put a piece of blank printer paper behind the sheet I'm coloring, to absorb the ink so it doesn't transfer onto the next page. It works pretty well. :blush:
Follow my SFW pony tumblr: http://yodawgiheardyoulikeponies.tumblr.com/
Trade/sale list and wishlist:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,371182.0.html
My MLP Youtube Channel:

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 06:44:56 PM »
I do whatever my heart desires at the time...Do I want a Gusty?  Unique? A Rastafarian pony? Which ever colours get picked!
...What I do is put a piece of blank printer paper behind the sheet I'm coloring, to absorb the ink so it doesn't transfer onto the next page. It works pretty well. :blush:
Same! I keep the pages inbetween the coloured pictures too, so nothing rubs off  :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:48:14 PM by slyons »

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline Satin Slipper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 06:49:41 PM »
Usually I color by the lines then the inside...
*Frolicking Away*

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 10:34:20 PM »
I’m boring, I usually remain faithful to whatever pony I’m coloring. :blush: The more I color in my retro coloring book the more willing I am to start messing around though. Since a lot of the same ponies get featured over and over I have started giving some of them rebel stripes in their hair or slightly different color schemes :P If the cutie mark is visible though I feel weird going totally different from the pony!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 10:50:16 PM »
I don't do coloring books too much, but when I do I like to use them for color shading practice! Shading and realism (ESPECIALLY in color!) is my favourite part of drawing and I always like to challenge myself to see how realistic I can make the picture look, and it definitely helps when it's a template like that, so I don't have to worry about working up a good enough drawing to shade to begin with! I'm usually a weenie and shade in black and white because drawing the thing (whatever it may be) takes so long to begin with that by the end I just want to do some simple black & white, but still maintain the realism. I love color shading, though! Coloring books give me the opportunity to do it more than I would on my own drawings.
This is making me want to grab that retro book you guys are talking about.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:51:56 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal