collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: so do you diy things for your house?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
so do you diy things for your house?
« on: February 29, 2020, 05:57:01 AM »
....Because that is my jam. I literally go into fancy home stores looking for ideas to crib for my own purposes.  :P

And the dollar stores here are amazing, so they keep me in materials of all sorts, but most importantly, paper and fabric! because I have a problem, I admit it.

Ahem.
Anyway.  If you diy, what have you made recently? I'm really curious what kinds of things people make instead of buying. I tend to make things to deal with annoyances, rather than decorate, lol. How about you?

This week, I made a plastic bag holder. (Google it, it's awesome. I used a long narrow curtain I already had from the 100 yen shop, so it was already half done. It only took like 15 minutes even hand sewing. 5/5 totally recommend. I've also seen it done with tea towels, but any old scrap would do. If you've got some old knit pj pants you don't wear, whack off the leg, lol. Save even more time!) 

It turned out so useful I'm making another to hold fluffy socks. I have tons of them, since I basically live in them. And I totally don't care if they match, so I figure, a dispenser-style tube with a hole at the bottom to pop them out of sounds like a fantastic way to get them out of the way and speed up sorting my laundry.

Oh, tip: If you decide you need a bag/sock holder, I recommend doing it with the open, handle at the top method. Making the hole at the top a narrow squeeze seems counter productive to me.

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: so do you diy things for your house?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 09:12:14 AM »
I've made some shelves myself, because I couldn't found what I wanted in shops.
Seems like no bookshelf are actually made for pocket books and/or for people who have a LOTS of books (same problem with Manga, almost same problem with BD/Comics). So I did it myself.

I do not really do a lot of DIY, I prefers to thrift what I need.
In fact, I only do what I need or want that I cannot found, like I did embroidery and sewing with a old MLP fabric to have a bed cover.

But my mother loves to do patchwork, that for sure take a lot of time!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 01:27:15 AM »
I don't do home DIY myself (just toy restoration!), but my dad is epic at it. I don't think I've ever bought a new shelf or bookcase in my life, I just explain what I want and he makes it for me. Very handy for pony storage! He's also pretty good at making things out of totally random wood that we don't need: I have a desk that used to be a door :lol:.

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:44:14 PM »
It is always awesome to have a builder in the family, lol. Mom's the carpenter in my family. I wish I had mad skills like hers. My diy projects are usually small, sewing or cardboard related, and made because of specific requirements--like my cardboard bookshelves, because I need to be able to throw them away when I move out, lol.

I have supplies for most anything I could ever want to make, so if something's irritating me (things wont stay on the shelf, nowhere to store this or that) I consult the Youtubes, and go forth to do the doing!Lol. Also, I move a lot, so my stuff needs to fold/pack/collapse easily, which usually means I have to get creative.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 11:21:48 AM »
Not personally but my Dad could build or fix almost anything, then he took a welding course to remove that almost. Where I grew up the cupboards were fitted, the wardrobes were fitted, & for my 7th birthday my Dad even made me a rocking horse!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 01:27:00 PM »
I love how you made a tube style dispenser for your lucky dip socks! That's so cute. I have DIYed a few things but tend to try and repurpose things, find thrift items or make IKEA hacks to solve storage problems. I'm not that good with actual carpentry electronics or plumbing, just because I don't have the tools and have never tried. I completely re-decorated my flat when I moved in so I am good with prep and painting. But I found a local handy man to make some shelves for the kitchen in my flat and fix the shed etc.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal