collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Are you against pony armies? ( owning many of the same pony )

Not bothered at all
17 (25.4%)
It botheres me a little bit
5 (7.5%)
I think it's 100% wrong and classed as pony hording
2 (3%)
I wouldn't do it but don't mind others doing it
22 (32.8%)
I have a pony army and enjoy seeing other pony armies
21 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: March 03, 2020, 04:10:22 AM

Author Topic: Pony armies ( collecting multiples ) with a pony giveaway !  (Read 20119 times)

Offline kellybates1993

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Pony armies ( collecting multiples ) with a pony giveaway !
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2020, 02:32:49 PM »
It appears I am the only one here who is against armies.
I think it's selfish trying to hoard any rarer doubles because others might want them too. What's the point of having 3 mimics? I know it's supposed to be cute or fun, I fail to see it.

Of course I'm against selfish hoarders but I do know the difference between a selfish hoarder and an army person.

Also I see the point of getting all the variants. That makes them different and in my opinion not an army.

It's kinda hard for me to say this knowing I will most likely get multiple messages trying to debunk my opinion.
No, this seems fair to be honest,  I wouldn't have multiples of a rare pony because it would feel wrong but I also don't have anything against people who do because I know its jealousy on my part l really want a rapunzel and can't imagine someone having an army of them :(
flutter pony addict

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2020, 05:26:24 PM »
If someone has the money to spend on multiple Rapunzels, I want whatever their job is.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2020, 06:17:37 PM »
Good point on rare ones.  Mine are various Minty versions and custom Mintys.  A couple of them had really bad hair and are alt rehairs. 
I gotta know, does someone have a Punzie or Mimic army??  And can I have their bank account??

:socks:   :frog:

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2020, 06:46:08 PM »
If someone has the money to spend on multiple Rapunzels, I want whatever their job is.

......I gotta know, does someone have a Punzie or Mimic army??  And can I have their bank account??
Didn't a wise person once say "Mo Money Mo Problems"?   :lol:

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2020, 08:04:51 PM »
I was gonna vote against it but then realized I had many pony armies started so that would of been hypocritical now wouldn't it? :p

I think it depends though. Like army includes variations, as people have stated, whereas clones are of the same release. I personally, have an army of Serena, Stripes, Heart Throb, 4-Speed, Tootie and such going myself. No one is rare, sure, (well, as rare as g1s go ya know) but there isn't harm in hoarding "common" ponies, especially seeing as I'll probably sell some eventually. Now, hoarding Mimic? Raps? That's selfish. At that point it seems you want them just because they're rare. These things are sparse at this point. Does that mean the whole community has to share these things? No its your property, and even if I think its selfish, my opinion doesn't really matter ultimately, me nor anyone else has control over your life. I think its different if you thrift these things too  :wonder:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:07:14 PM by caseysealia »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2020, 09:05:20 PM »
I don't see any difference in having an army of rare ponies vs common ponies. Everyone is somewhere different with their finances. :shrug:

I'm pretty indifferent to if someone has an army or not.

:) I had a really cute takara fakie army at one point during my prime collecting days.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2020, 09:22:33 PM »
I like seeing armies because the different versions and variations are interesting to me! I don't really see the point of having multiples that look identical or near identical, though. To each their own, I suppose.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2020, 11:28:56 AM »
maybe we could differentiate armies from clones (or clone armies?)  as there are some ponies that have international variants and multiple gens that to me makes it easier to explain as to why ya collect a light vs a dark symbol, a two stamp, a four stamp, an air brush eye, etc  (can ya guess my italian armies I am talking about?)  that can be fun to geek out when explaining to that lovely newcomer who found out about the collection as to why ya have "so many X" on the shelf

Of course, to each their own and a clone army of all the same pose can be kinda cool as well - someone awhile ago had posted pics of their tex army that was just a really lovely burst of yellow on the shelf :-)

I really do need to assemble the troops here and update my pictures so thanks for having this thread I will see what i can do to schedule some overdo spring dusting that has to be done anyway it's a great excuse for a spa/photo shoot

MLP 2 The Clone Wars
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2020, 12:24:32 PM »
I don't see what the difference is between a common pony army and a rare pony army? Like, either way they aren't your ponies. How is one person with 15 Rapunzels different than 15 people with one each? You still don't have one, so...? Does it really matter if they all belong to the same person?

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
It is so interesting how this topic has evolved tbh, since as I said before, years ago nobody even thought about it as an issue. But it's like with everything, when the numbers go down, it increases the price on the ones that are available, so the more that are hoarded by one person, the higher the prices are for everyone else.

On the same note, though, they are also making it more expensive for them to buy another to add to the army.

I can think of many better things to spend money on than hoarding Rapunzels at her price, but there are sometimes people who do act to increase the value to resell at a later point. I just can't see that being practical with Rapunzel.

As to whether it's selfish, or whether it matters, that's a question everyone's moral compass will answer differently. But I'd like to think that if people are collecting armies, they're doing it for the sheer joy of it, not to keep items from other collectors or push the prices up. Sooner or later most of those ponies end up back in circulation anyway, as people selling off collections or armies is not uncommon (whether by choice or by need).

For me, since people rarely damage their army hoards, especially the htf ones, it's less of a problem. They may or may not come back up for sale eventually, but if and when they do, they won't be damaged irreversably, which is for me more important. So yeah, they may not be available right now because someone has 15, but if that person sells up, there will be 15 ponies in good shape going out to other collectors.

There are far more selfish things IMO that a collector can do than take good care of a bunch of the same pony for several years together, because it means that in x number of years there are still x number of the same pony in good condition somewhere in the world. At least that's how I see it. Whether the pony be Bow Tie or Mimic or whoever.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:50:42 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »
It is selfish. But that's actually the nature of any collecting hobby. We aren't collecting for our health, or for the benefit of humanity or anything like that. We're collecting because we love something and want it for ourselves and we spent money on things we didn't need.

And as long as its done in moderation and never takes over neccesary expenses that's okay.

There's nothing wrong with being a little selfish.

Offline Nella

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »
I have unintentional armies of Cotton Candy and Butterscotch.  And no, I don’t mind if others have armies either.
This exactly :D although CC, Bowtie and Peachy for me probably. 
Link to my salesthread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,377651.0.html.

Link to my thread with available FTB's: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,394652.0.html.

No pony will be left behind! Please come check for the pony's in need of some TLC over here: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397984.0.html.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2020, 03:45:35 PM »
It is selfish. But that's actually the nature of any collecting hobby. We aren't collecting for our health, or for the benefit of humanity or anything like that. We're collecting because we love something and want it for ourselves and we spent money on things we didn't need.

Honestly I disagree. Mental wellbeing is a thing, and if ponies make people happy-- then that's important to their health.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2020, 04:52:16 PM »

Honestly I disagree. Mental wellbeing is a thing, and if ponies make people happy-- then that's important to their health.

Can't argue with that logic.  :satisfied:

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2020, 05:32:42 PM »
I have multiple versions of: Princess Serena, Heart Throb, Cotton Candy, Rarity...but none of the exact same figure. I consider those groups "armies"...but does that count?
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal