collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody else get frustrated with shopping?  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody else get frustrated with shopping?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »
Yes. Nobody has any clue how to make clothes and shoes for women.
Pockets though. I always through it was funny growing up, until I actually experienced it. Either objects need to be smaller, including women’s hands, or pockets need to be bigger.

I read somewhere that the reason women's pockets are so small is because it messes up the "lines" of the design.  Because apparently our hips are so outrageous that adding that little bit of extra thin fabric to the inside will just scream to the world "THIS WOMAN HAS POCKETS!" and we can't have that... :freak:

In all seriousness, though, my jeans from Maurice's have decent pockets in them and I don't think it messes up the design lines.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:14:36 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 05:43:51 PM »
Hate it!!  T shirts are my friend, but men's as women's just Scream here is my chest!!!  Jeans are a challenge, found one brand and style that works and done looking.  Happily I can wear whatever to work so jammie bottoms.  😎   
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 09:12:31 PM »
And shirts! I have a longer torso, so it’s either showing my midriff (I hate exposing myself in any way, especially that) or looking like a long sleeved garbage bag because we had to go a few sizes up in order to give me enough cover. The sleeves? Good length. I like that. Torso length? That’s where I have problems.

This is so funny because I call myself a dachshund. XD I have a long torso and short legs. I'm petite, very tiny, but average height... shirts are either a perfect length, but too big, or the right size, but too short. I always wear a camisole underneath!

And pants are impossible to buy. I had to go jeans shopping a few years back and all the pants were too skinny in the legs and too long. Are my calves that big? Or are everyone's calves that small...? And all of the jeans I tried on went right over my feet! Hollister was the only place in the entire mall that carried jeans, that not only were skinny (but not jeggings), but also short-legged! :lol:

It's a good thing I'm not a clothes person. I only buy clothes if I absolutely need them, like when my jeans got holes in them a couple years ago. However lately I've been getting tired of wearing my old Hollister, Aeropostale, etc. brand clothes. I've been wearing those since I was 15! I just want to wear plain t-shirts and hoodies now, no print or anything on them. I have a decent array of shirts at the moment but need more hoodies... I only have one. :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 07:57:39 AM »
Pockets though. I always through it was funny growing up, until I actually experienced it. Either objects need to be smaller, including women’s hands, or pockets need to be bigger.

That's actually one of my pet peeves when trying to find jeans. Who in heck thought it was a good idea to only give women half pockets? We need full pockets just as much as men and also I have trouble finding jeans that aren't skinny jeans. No I don't want the circulation squeezed out of my legs, thank you. Having trouble with this even with mens jeans now and the other problem with trying mens jeans is the last pair I had, the material was too heavy.  I also have the worst time finding bras that aren't too tight no matter how big the size is supposed to be. As a result, I have only one bra that feels loose. I was pretty thrilled recently when I found that a juniors 3X will fit me because that meant I was able to have my adult Simba and Nala shirt and I love how light the material is. On the same token though, years back when FiM was pretty new still, I got a Rainbow Dash 20% Cooler women's shirt from Hot Topic. It was a 2X and was still too tight. I kept it to wear at home but I have never been able to wear it outside. To safeguard against that when my husband got me shirts from We Love Fine, we went with Mens 3X to be on the safe side and those are huge on me. At the same Hot Topic, I got my favorite MLP shirt which is a group shot of a bunch of them including Discord and Nightmare Moon. It's a Mens 1X and fits perfectly.  I have to resort to Mens clothing so much though. 9.9

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »
I hate shopping for clothes, especially pants and shorts. I mostly just wear T shirts or sweaters, so the top half is generally easy, but the bottom I really struggle with. I try not to shop for clothes unless I’ve gained weight and don’t fit in my old ones anymore or if I’m going into a job where I can’t dress casually.

The lack of pockets in women’s pants has always been a huge pain point for me. I’ve finally given up and have a purse now, but it’s so frustrating that there are NO women’s pants that can fit both a wallet and my phone in the pocket. That’s insane. I’ve always thought it was a means to force us into buying expensive bags. Luckily there’s been a recent flood of backpack style purses I love!

I also have a little bit of a gut. I prefer low rise pants so no matter what I buy it seems like they really squeeze and highlight my gut. I’ve just starting wearing leggings in the colder months. It never gets that cold here and I don’t need anything that heavy anyway. Shopping for jeans has honestly reduced me to tears in the past. It just seems like they never fit right in all the important areas. At least leggings just kind of “snap” to whatever your body shape is.

The cuts on women’s shirts can drive me insane. I’m not very fashion forward, but it seems like whenever I DO see a more “feminine” shirt I think is cute, it doesn’t really fit me well. Especially because, going back to my gut, they’re crop tops or somehow highlight the stomach area. I need something that doesn’t do that! I’d argue most women don’t have a flat stomach past their teenage years! We’ve got organs and innards that need that extra buffer! :P

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 10:53:31 PM »
YES. URGH.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 08:04:21 PM »
I normally do well for shirts and dresses as long as I stick to the juniors department. Most of the women's shirts make me look like a flying squirrel... Jeans are a pain though. It can fit my butt or my waist - but never both.

Oh and bras are the worst... like believe it or not women do exist outside the slim range of standard sizes XD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:06:20 PM by Duenia »

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 02:20:36 PM »

I read somewhere that the reason women's pockets are so small is because it messes up the "lines" of the design.  Because apparently our hips are so outrageous that adding that little bit of extra thin fabric to the inside will just scream to the world "THIS WOMAN HAS POCKETS!" and we can't have that... :freak:

In all seriousness, though, my jeans from Maurice's have decent pockets in them and I don't think it messes up the design lines.

This bugs my mom SO MUCH, lol. Most of her jeans have decent pockets but her dressy pants/slacks have the teeny or non existent pockets and when she goes to put something in the latter she'll pause and then go "I forgot, I'm wearing my girl pants." :lol:

I'm 5' and am in the 26/28 range. Tops are either super long (don't mind the torso being so but having to fold up your sleeves 5 inches is a pain) or even if they fit around I can't raise my arms even a little or everyone's seeing my pasty white gut. And necklines! Even small v necks or slightly wide collar can reveal a bit much if I lean forward/bend over ^^; And pants! 99% of the time I have to hem them IF I can find any that fit right, blah. I'm so glad stretch denim is a thing otherwise I'd have to spend $$$ at Lane Bryant (I do get my dressy items there but so pricey...)

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »
Pockets! Yes.
One of the many things I love about Japanese fashion is that  their skirts frequently come with pockets! And they're functional size, to boot. So nice. Now if only I didn't have to shop three sizes bigger...

I've taken to virtual shopping-scour the net for what you want, and then save photos to a wishlist folder. I figure it'll help me design when I finally break down and start making my own, lol. Hand-sewing is a pretty big commitment for my short attention span...

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 05:53:38 AM »
Another that loathes clothes shopping. Pants are my biggest struggle. Everything is either too tight or too big. It's not even that I need an odd size, I guess I'm anywhere from a 6-10 in juniors short (heaven forbid we have standardized sizes like men's clothes for every brand based on your measurements).
I refuse to wear leggings and dislike pants that are straight leg, too tight (nope, nope, nope).
All I ask for in life are low rise hip hugging flare legged jeans (yes, I am a hippie at heart). No luck. We're back to the 80's mom pants again... yuckkity yuck (which I can't wear because anything tight on my stomach is extremely painful, midrise noooooooooo).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »
Mlp4me, we should shop together, lol. Your complaint is at least 75 percent of why I quit wearing jeans. (The rest is basically "Swishy, yay! Twiiiiiiiirl....") :biggrin:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2020, 07:34:58 AM »
Why is it SO HARD for my work pants to HAVE POCKETS like real ones.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2020, 11:49:03 PM »
Dilemma on the pockets subject. Good news is that I have lost enough weight again for the pair of jeans I wore today to have trouble staying on....Bad news is these are my only pair left with full sized pockets ><

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2020, 01:39:19 AM »
Yes, I totally agree with others here -- I haaaate shopping for jeans and it can get so stressful. I went up a size (trying to lose that weight now) and had to buy new jeans; I tried online shopping in an effort to make the process easier. Hint: don't do that. ^^; It was a mess returning so many pairs of jeans. And I ordered some that were the same brand and size and cut, just a different color, but that for some reason didn't fit, lol. At the moment I've just decided to stick with one brand that I *know* fits my weird shape; I even have a few backup pairs of these jeans.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2020, 06:38:23 PM »
I'm five foot ten & on the verge of plus size, & according to clothing manufacturers, you can either be a bit taller or a bit wider, but not both.

Then there's my feet: size 8 UK, 41 Euro, & at least proportionate if not wider than. The amount of times I've seen shoes saying they're my size but haven't fit as their width is size 3 rather than 8 is ridiculous!!! And I have prominent arches too, so flats are uncomfortable & certain boots can actually hurt. The struggle is real...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal