collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody else get frustrated with shopping?  (Read 7186 times)

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Anybody else get frustrated with shopping?
« on: February 20, 2020, 07:34:19 PM »
It's like, yeah, I'm a little taller and curvier than most Japanese girl, but not that much.
And yet. There are entire stores that sell nothing larger than a medium, and the ultra cute boho style just does not exist in my size. I have severe skirt envy every time I go through a department store. Of course, it doesn't help that the clothes I can wear are made for grannies.
Sigh.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
Re: Anybody else get frustrated with shopping?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:03:43 PM »
Yes. Nobody has any clue how to make clothes and shoes for women.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 09:59:10 PM »
Yep, the cloths that fit my waist are usually two decimeters too long. Perfect length are often found in the childrens department, but they don't fit my curves, for obvious reasons.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:12:20 PM »
It’s probably these frustrations why I don’t buy clothes that often. Once a year is good for me! Like, take jeans. We have skinny, boot cut, long, short, extra wide, cup holders built in, glow in the dark and so many jeans with butterfly patterns I might as well grow antennae, or so many rhinestones my bum looks like a disco ball. But I just want plain, dark, rectangle leg, no pattern/embellishments jeans. And shirts! I have a longer torso, so it’s either showing my midriff (I hate exposing myself in any way, especially that) or looking like a long sleeved garbage bag because we had to go a few sizes up in order to give me enough cover. The sleeves? Good length. I like that. Torso length? That’s where I have problems.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 11:58:55 PM »
I hear you. I have the opposite problem, being really short waisted, and with highwaist pants everywhere.....skirts are my go to. But here in the land of cute, i am godzilla. No clothes for you, kaiju!

...i need a godzilla emoji.

But yeah, its gotten so annoying I'm very seriously considering sewing, or at least upcycling my own. I figure if i combine them, surely I'll fit then! I'm determined to own at least one ridiculously froufrou ruffled birthday cake of a skirt.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:01:20 AM by Thimble »

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 12:28:10 AM »
Oh god YES!
I hate clothes shopping in general but I hate it even more in China.
 I am a plus size (size 22) and that just does not exist here.  -_-

I have found some shops on Taobao but they give the sizes in weight which does not work for my body shape OR they have someone who is a size zero modeling a shirt that is their version of a 10X (2X in USA). To the people here, I am the Michelin man.  >_<
Bras? Forgot it!

China is still kinda old school so there are little shops in the old part of town that make clothes for you. Most places give the "foreigner special" - charging 5X more because you are foreign but there are some that charge a good price. I got two very fuzzy pairs of pants for about $30, tailor made to my meaurements.  :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:36:24 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 03:55:09 AM »
Me! I have such a hard time finding clothes that fit me. Recently I found 2 shirts that I really wanted but neither one came in my size. 

Once I was even told that by a store employee that I was the wrong size to be shopping in that store.

I've had good uck with Lane Bryant brand jeans although it took a long time to find some that fit that  weren't the distressed look.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 04:57:40 AM »
I entered shopping with my friend at 109 oh I guess about 8 years ago now and she was about 5'2" and a US size 2-4 and couldn't fit into any of the shorts so I thought what hope would a 5'8" size 6-8 person like me have lol. Subsequently I went into the under weight category after developing a couple of eating disorders trying to fit into Japanese clothing. (I was a gyaru then into larme) Still it didn't fit me well, still couldn't fit into shorts so try not to get wrapped up in it, I know it's hard to deal with living there

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 05:22:38 AM »
Pants shopping is the absolute worst. I have one pair of jeans that fit phenomenally well, but I've yet to find another pair like it. I'm underweight and tall so if it fits one it almost never fits the other.
Size 0 is ridiculously small. If people are always pointing out how thin I am and your 0 physically hurts to squeeze into, uh...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 05:31:01 AM »
There's so many clothes that are so cute, that don't work out for me because of my body type.

For men -- typical department stores don't really have a good selection of nice clothes for skinny men. My husband's has to order from uniqlo before to get some nicer fitting clothes for work. 

My kiddo... I have problem getting clothes to fit her because she's just so tiny.

And shirts! I have a longer torso, so it’s either showing my midriff (I hate exposing myself in any way, especially that) or looking like a long sleeved garbage bag because we had to go a few sizes up in order to give me enough cover. The sleeves? Good length. I like that. Torso length? That’s where I have problems.
Oh. longer length shirts is *all* I wear because i prefer low waisted pants. Sometimes you can look up tunic / tunic tops and get longer shirts (some are too dress like, but others are nice).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:33:06 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 07:11:52 AM »

That would be because they design clothes to fit women who have no curves, just like boys.  I don't know why fashion designers even pretend that their clothes are for women.  I have to wear larger sized shirts because I am short and have a DD sized chest.  Just because that part of me is that big doesn't mean the rest of me is, but I have to purchase clothes in the plus sized section because of it.  And if you've ever looked over there, the options are mumus and other clothes in horrendous colors that would blind a clown. 

My sister was a cheerleader in high school (she was tall and thin with no chest-always told me she was jealous of my curves, though) so she always had the option of cute clothes.  After she had her first child and gained a bunch of weight she finally understood why I hated clothes shopping.  It isn't because I don't like clothes it's because the clothes available to me are hideous and I refuse to spend my money on something that I despise.

I tend to purchase clothes in men's or unisex sizes because if they turn out to be too big I can always tailor them down if I choose.  I like Tee Turtle's shirts.  Those look cute on me without needing to be tailored.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 07:44:22 AM »

That would be because they design clothes to fit women who have no curves, just like boys.
/snip/
My sister was a cheerleader in high school (she was tall and thin with no chest-always told me she was jealous of my curves, though) so she always had the option of cute clothes.

Nah. This isn't true from the other side. Smaller size women have issues too-- be it their chest, waist, or both. There have been so many cute clothes I couldn't get because it didn't fit me in the chest area.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 07:57:30 AM »
It's also hard for me because I'm a size 18 and very big up top. I have a long body and shorter arms and legs than average. I did have an hourglass until I got pregnant but now I'm kind of barrel shaped. Just stretchies for me these days unfortunately.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 08:33:29 AM »
Pockets though. I always through it was funny growing up, until I actually experienced it. Either objects need to be smaller, including women’s hands, or pockets need to be bigger.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »
The frustrating thing is, women come in LOTS of shapes and sizes... but their clothing rarely does. :/ There are a lot more twists and turns to female bodies in general (as opposed to males) and I’ve yet to find a brand or designer that reflects this.

I honestly can’t stand buying clothes for this reason. I’m curvy and my weight fluctuates a lot, but even at my smallest (which is on the lower fringe of a “healthy” weight for my height) I can’t fit into a lot of the cute stuff I’d like to wear. :cry: I know it’s silly, but it always gives me a complex. I feel like a monster by the time I’m done trying to find a nice dress.

At least I can always count on kigurumis. :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:26:39 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal