collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What is your style of collecting regarding Dream Beauties?

Yes, all of them-Pokemon style
Yes, but only the ones that I like
Yes, but not many because they are hard to find and/or expensive
No, but I would if they were cheaper and/or easier to find
No, I do not care for their style/look/etc
No, I do not consider them to be really part of the G1 MLP line
Other

Author Topic: Dream Beauties  (Read 6324 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Dream Beauties
« on: February 13, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
Inspired by our recent member's amazing luck finding 5 of these in the wild, I am wondering who collects them?  Do you collect them because you consider them to be part of the G1 line, because they're pretty, because you had them as a kid?  Maybe you grew up with another generation but fell in love with them upon discovery?

I currently have one that I was lucky to find at a thrift store for $1.  I did find another at a 2nd hand toy store but they wanted too much for her and I was not keen on them then.  I do have a few certain ones on my wishlist because I like the way they look.  I consider them to be part of the G1 line but more a spinoff than something I need to collect, considering I only collect what I like rather than being a completionist.  I did not have any as a child.  My cousin had some FSFs but not these even though she had a large collection of MLP.  Even if they had sold them at the same time, I leaned more towards Grand Champions for this "type" of toy horse because they were more realistic to me and Breyers were expensive.  I also did not like the molded manes and tails of Breyers.

For those of you that can remember, were these not sold as widely as regular MLP?  Do you remember getting/seeing them as a child?  Do we not see as many maybe because they are more fragile and more prone to broken legs, etc.?  Discuss!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:37:00 PM by nessa16 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Dream Beauties
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
We didn't get them in stores in the UK, though they were offered in the 1990 Hasbro catalogue.

I have found 1 in the wild here. She was a carousel pony (Circle Dancer I think) and the theory is she came from Germany, as I have heard they may have been sold there? I don't know for sure though.

I traded for most of them in the late 1990s. Aside Skyflier (who belongs to my sister and who has lost her -.-) I have a full set. THey are in mixed conditions but none are cracked or missing parts. I don't have the extra accessories like hairpieces for the trim and styles (though mine are uncut) and the perfume beauties don't have perfume.

I used to have one MIB but I sold her a very long time ago. They used to be a lot more common, cheaper and easier to get hold of online than they are now, and shipping was cheaper. I wouldn't chase after them now and they are tough to store, but I do like them.

I don't know why they are more expensive and less available now except that that's true with so many ponies, not just these, and these were only available in certain places for one year, as opposed to over ten or twelve.

Morning Glory, Crystalline and Dream Gleamer were my first and I only got them in the first place because someone offered them in a trade...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:29:46 AM »
I would if they were cheaper and easier to find. I didn't even know they existed as a kid. I never saw them, unless maybe I did and mistook them for Fashion Star Fillies.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 11:34:50 AM »
I am certain I would've wanted one as a kid. I really wanted the FSF Arielle and one of the others when I was younger but I never had them. I think maybe parents thought they'd break too easily. I have a couple of FSF that lurk around with the Dream Beauties, but not Arielle. I may have had her once but got rid of most of the FSF I acquired from carboot sales because of space reasons. I haven't managed to find Arielle in my boxes yet so I think if I ever had her, she has since departed too :(

I wonder if the FSF thing was the reason the stores didn't take up the DBs. FSF were pretty popular here.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 01:53:31 PM »
I’ll never be able to afford them, especially not in good condition, unless I strike gold like that one person in the brag forum rn who found 5 pristine ones at a thrift store. Even if I could, space is an issue as they’re just so big. They are very pretty, though, especially the pegasi! Too many toy companies sleep on pegasi because unicorns are cheaper to manufacture and more popular, which is a shame.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
I only have one which I bought from a german collector. So I think the theory is true they may have been sold in Germany.  Up here I can't remember if they were in shops.
I do have silent hope to find one on Kings Day but up until now no luck.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »
I had Song Rider in my childhood ponies To be honest I don't remember playing with her much probably because she was so much bigger than the regular MLPs.  I did have 2 Fashion Star Fillies in my childhood toys so I'm not sure why I never played with Song Rider and my FSF together.

I wonder if they didn't sell well or weren't stocked much in stores due to Fashion Star Fillies?

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:49:01 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 03:18:27 PM »
I don't have any yet, but having them all someday sure would be sweet, they're really pretty. :P They are definitely part of the MLP line for sure, just a spin-off of it (much like the Lil Litters as well). I mean they do after all have "My Little Pony" right there on the box, you can't really deny that. :lol:

My most wanted is Windwalker, love that girl.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 03:25:07 PM »
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/dreambeauties.htm

Here are mine (minus Naynie's missing Skyflier, grr). They've all had much love in their life but they're not too bad overall. I'm fond of them xD.

And I was wrong - it was Mayfair I found here, not Circle Dancer. I always get them confused.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »
I only want the three High Flying Beauties.  Two of them were childhood ponies, and I got INSANELY lucky at a thrift store many years back.  I found the last one I needed for 50 cents in very good condition!  It was fate:p

Other than that, I don’t collect them.  I did find one of the perfume ones at a collectible toy store for $3 or something, but I cleaned it up and sold it at a pony meet.   

I do remember seeing them for a time in stores as a child, but not for that long. I got at least one, possibly both of my childhood Dream Beauties for Christmas.  I think there are multiple reasons they’re harder to find. 

1) Later year ponies tend to be rarer.  There were more different lines on the shelves in the later years(so more competition for consumers’ pony buying dollars) , and I think in general they were produced in lesser quantities.  If you look at the last years of all the generations, the pattern is the same.  Lots of gimmicks, lots of trying weird things to keep the line going through dwindling sales, but not a lot of product available for sale after the first few weeks/months.   

2) They don’t look like regular ponies, so they’re much more likely to be misidentified and tossed into the generic horse toy pile.  The one I got at the collectible toy store was labeled “plastic horse”.  They did have some overpriced ponies($15 Peachy, $30 Moondancer with no symbol and a hair cut, etc), but the most expensive pony of the bunch didn’t look like a pony. 

3) The hard plastic breaks, and broken toys get tossed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:55:45 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 04:27:28 PM »
I forgot to say that I'd love to own the 3 Shimmering Beauties, Song Rider and Glider. I don't think I will get lucky enough to find them in the wild though

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »
I am *OBSESSED* with these things. It all started when I found Circle Dancer for 50c at a flea market...I wasn't even for sure that she was legit, because they actually don't have any copyrights on the molds, and all the images online I found of her were ones that were really discolored (so looked pink, while mine is perfectly purple). That was a few years ago, though. I now have five of them and I'm just in love with each one.

WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 08:53:51 PM »
gggeeeeeaaaahhhhmehhh....

I've had a couple pass through my hands but I've never loved them enough to want to keep them so they found new homes. I favour Fashion Star Fillies far more, and have plenty of those!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 10:53:25 PM »
I'm the one with the lucky find! I never knew I liked them until I saw these beauties in person, lol. Now I need to catch them all. I won't be paying crazy prices though. I enjoy the thrift store hunt.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 11:48:58 PM »
Ooh, nice! Like I said earlier, I'm not one for collecting them, but that is a stellar find - and in such nice condition, too!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal