collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Life screen print eyes. Will they age well?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Pony Life screen print eyes. Will they age well?
« on: February 12, 2020, 06:41:24 PM »
Does anyone have any thoughts on the screen printed eyes on these new figures? I recently got Potion Nova and I am terrified of even getting my fingers anywhere near her eyes, or putting her in my bag for transport, in case they rub/scratch off or something. I don’t like them and just feel like I have to be more careful than usual when handling her, than I do with ponies with painted eyes. I hate it. I am unsure whether they will age well.

Does anyone have experience with eyes like this? Do you guys have thoughts on these screen printed eyes on the Pony Life figures? Love them, or hate them?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Pony Life screen print eyes. Will they age well?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 03:31:50 AM »
I guess it depends on the quality of the paint.

For what it's worth, some G3 ponies have screenprinted symbols, like Dream Drifter and the others in her set:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I don't know if they've had any particular problems with paint, but maybe someone else will know.

I haven't taken a good look at the Pony Life eyes, but I did dislike the screenprinted G3s because their symbols looked so . . . I dunno, pixelly?  Just not my preference.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:04:17 AM »

For what it's worth, some G3 ponies have screenprinted symbols, like Dream Drifter and the others in her set:

I don't know if they've had any particular problems with paint, but maybe someone else will know.

I haven't taken a good look at the Pony Life eyes, but I did dislike the screenprinted G3s because their symbols looked so . . . I dunno, pixelly?  Just not my preference.
I actually love that! Really hit the 2000s aesthetic. It does, however, to my knowledge, not age as well as normal painted marks do

I feel the same way about g4 eyes in general. Mind you I used to play with g4 and even though I was reckless there were ponies that I know I took care of that always had scratched eyes. Even as a collector moving them they get scratched. I'd imagine Pony Life figures to be no different, but I'm curious what my other pony peeps who managed to get them have to say before judging too much.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 09:24:51 AM »
I don't think it will matter much. Especially for a collector, whose ponies will all be on a shelf anyway. XD How do these types of things handle being in the sun a lot? I think that could be a concern if it affects that.

Kids might be able to ruin the eyes... maybe. I'm not an expert but the eyes feel alright, I don't see how they could easily smudge or something. Barbies and Hairdorables have eyes like this too don't they? And maybe Poopsie Unicorns? I don't remember and Google Images isn't helping much. :P Anyway it seems to be standard nowadays.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:13:00 AM »

I actually love that! Really hit the 2000s aesthetic. It does, however, to my knowledge, not age as well as normal painted marks do

I feel the same way about g4 eyes in general. Mind you I used to play with g4 and even though I was reckless there were ponies that I know I took care of that always had scratched eyes. Even as a collector moving them they get scratched. I'd imagine Pony Life figures to be no different, but I'm curious what my other pony peeps who managed to get them have to say before judging too much.

I thought that was the 60s aesthetic? Its a little known fact that Dream Drifter was one of the Woodstock organizers. :snicker:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »

I thought that was the 60s aesthetic? Its a little known fact that Dream Drifter was one of the Woodstock organizers. :snicker:
Ooo that too!! The pixels screamed early 00s to me but the 60s definitely sound right too. Dream Drifter hippie confirmed  :blink: :P

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
Wasn't Daisy Paisley also in that set?  Which is a 60s or 70s aesthetic, I believe.  So many hippy ponies!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 06:46:30 PM »
Aside from scratching more easily, I’m curious as to why screen-printed eyes/symbols would be more prone to aging badly? Is the paint more temperamental or fade-prone?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 01:25:52 AM »
Judging from the slide in quality that’s been going on for years, the Pony Life ponies are probably guaranteed to age poorly:(  And sadly, not just the eyes, though they may end up being more delicate than normal. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 08:01:32 AM »
Wasn't Daisy Paisley also in that set?  Which is a 60s or 70s aesthetic, I believe.  So many hippy ponies!

She and Spring Parade are Flower Child Ponies. Though Spring Parade is more 70s-ish with that orange/green/yellow combo.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal