collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anti-Nostalgia  (Read 15444 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Nostalgia
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2020, 01:58:32 PM »

I don't have the episodes memorized (and only a vague recollection of them anyway)-  but I am sure Pizazz did all kinds of crazy homicidal things.  Didn't she chase Jerrica around with a tractor? (Or maybe Jem) or try to run her off of a cliff ?

I remember Roxy running a digger crazily around the future Starlight mansion.

I'm sorry, I went rather into default mode because I've seen so many people over the years try and use the volcano scene as a rationale to prove the Misfits are evil, when it's nothing to do with them (literally). At the same time they're pretending like it's fine that Jem's there crashing gliders, stealing from museums, and so on because she's the 'heroine'. It's hypocrisy and I just hate it.

You can't justify someone doing bad things just because they're the heroine and the show is named after her :P. As a kid I can see people might miss it, but there are so many things that should make an adult viewing feel uncomfortable vis a vis the overall morality of a heroine who is encouraging her boyfriend to two time her with herself.

On the subject of violence that would be censored now, maybe we should also be talking about Rio's anger management issues and the poor pot plant he assaulted. I also remember Stormer's brother Craig putting a microphone (?) cable around Eric's neck at one point.

It really struck me watching as an adult in the early episodes that Rio doesn't initially want to be Jem's boyfriend because he's loyal to Jerrica. Whenever he protests, Jem convinces him "Jerrica won't mind" and eventually he is dating Jerrica and Jem at the same time.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2020, 05:20:05 PM »

I don't have the episodes memorized (and only a vague recollection of them anyway)-  but I am sure Pizazz did all kinds of crazy homicidal things.  Didn't she chase Jerrica around with a tractor? (Or maybe Jem) or try to run her off of a cliff ?

I remember Roxy running a digger crazily around the future Starlight mansion.

I'm sorry, I went rather into default mode because I've seen so many people over the years try and use the volcano scene as a rationale to prove the Misfits are evil, when it's nothing to do with them (literally). At the same time they're pretending like it's fine that Jem's there crashing gliders, stealing from museums, and so on because she's the 'heroine'. It's hypocrisy and I just hate it.

You can't justify someone doing bad things just because they're the heroine and the show is named after her :P. As a kid I can see people might miss it, but there are so many things that should make an adult viewing feel uncomfortable vis a vis the overall morality of a heroine who is encouraging her boyfriend to two time her with herself.

On the subject of violence that would be censored now, maybe we should also be talking about Rio's anger management issues and the poor pot plant he assaulted. I also remember Stormer's brother Craig putting a microphone (?) cable around Eric's neck at one point.

I always thought Rio was an idiot and never liked him-  I do remember him kicking and breaking a potted plant - he was mad at Jem or Jerrica or something... ?

Even as a kid (okay tween) I found it problematic that Jerrica never trusted Rio enough to tell him her secret- I mean that went on for YEARS - and ALL the other holograms knew (and a few others right?) I guess she just wasn't that serious about him!  :lol:  And maybe I can see why- how stupid must he have been to not be able to determine they were teh same person ? I Mean COME ON MAN.  Didn't Jem and Jerrica kiss the same?  Didn't they look a LOT alike??? 

Plot issues and Rio's anger aside, the show was pretty entertaining and the music was (and is) surprisingly good!!!   

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2020, 06:32:31 PM »
For fear of taking this OT this will genuinely be my last post on the Jem subject, but there was also that ep where she created a third identity to get some space from the Jem Jerrica problems, only to have Rio go after that identity as well...

Back on main topic.

Books.

Last summer I reread some of the school story Enid Blyton books I'd read as a kid. They were a ton shorter than I remembered them being. But the reason I bring them up in this thread is because apparently in more recent prints of one of these stories, a scene where a girl is slapped gets changed into a 'shove'.

Sigh.

Hindsight censorship fail.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2020, 05:45:44 AM »
I loved watching GI Joe, Transformers and Jem back in the day. A few years back when we had Netflix I watched them all a few times and just couldn't get into them again. So very sad.
As for toys I have shyed away from pound puppies and purries I just don't want or need 'em anymore. Watched the reboot cartoon, no go.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2020, 07:10:25 AM »
Does anyone remember the Super Mario Brothers Super Show that had the live action segments and the animated Mario cartoons? I bought a DVD of some of the episodes and they were so boring to me as adult. I still love Mario games but the animated cartoons didn't hold up for me.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2020, 08:22:35 AM »
On the topic of Mario... Mario. His games.

Like, I love Mario, I liked Odyssey, I'm always playing Mario Kart, but I don't think I have any nostalgic feelings towards the games. I feel cozy whenever I play Yoshi's Island, Rayman, the Zoo Tycoons, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, The Sims 2, Nintendogs, and Animal Crossing Wild World, or if I listen to their soundtracks... I don't really feel anything towards Mario. Mario's good, but not nostalgic, for some reason. The only Mario song that makes me go "aww" is the credits theme for Mario 64.

Rayman might have been my first game ever, but Mario is what really got me into gaming. I spent a lot of time playing Mario 64. Yet when I watch people play Mario 64 on Twitch or Youtube, I don't get any warm fuzzies. It's just a nice game that I liked, nothing more than that...

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2020, 02:13:26 PM »
For fear of taking this OT this will genuinely be my last post on the Jem subject, but there was also that ep where she created a third identity to get some space from the Jem Jerrica problems, only to have Rio go after that identity as well...

Back on main topic....

OMG  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay back on topic for me-  Kings Quest IV - Perils of Rosella. 

I seriously LOVED LOVED LOVED playing that game on the computer-  I still remember how my heart fluttered like mad when I saw the Unicorn for the first time- and how immersed I would get in that game- like for hours and days (when you are a grades school kid you gots all kinds of time during summer break).  I'd play it until my eyes would cross. And remember back then, you couldn't just pop on the internet to find a quick answer when you got stuck- so my sister and i (who both played it) would sometimes get stuck on something for weeks...    I think it only made the game that much more meaningful when we would FINALLY progress.

A few years ago they recently did a "Kings Quest Reboot" game- and it was very nice and reminiscent of KQ- but it wasn't a reboot of the Kings Quest that I loved- KQ IV.   It was also centered on King Grahm, not Rosella.  And, no unicorns.   It did give me a hard core craving for that original KQ IV game...

Well, I discovered you can fairly easily find and play the game online.  But my god- the graphics and game play is WAY rougher than I remembered- and it takes FOREEEEVER for Rosella to just walk across the screen.....  I still kinda want to play... but wow who has that kind of time? Lol 
I guess I still do get the "feels" for the game, so it's not a complete anti-nostalgia-  but it definitely doesn't have the magic it had in 1989 or whenever.   :cry: :cry: :cry:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 02:15:15 PM by Galactica »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2020, 12:33:55 PM »
Scooby-Doo, Smurfs, and most Hannah Barberra shows in general just aren't fun for me anymore.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »
I suppose I could say Ed, Edd & Eddy. As a child I really enjoyed that show. I tried to come back to it as an adult, and just found it to be nonsensical.

On the topic of Mario... Mario. His games.

Like, I love Mario, I liked Odyssey, I'm always playing Mario Kart, but I don't think I have any nostalgic feelings towards the games. I feel cozy whenever I play Yoshi's Island, Rayman, the Zoo Tycoons, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, The Sims 2, Nintendogs, and Animal Crossing Wild World, or if I listen to their soundtracks... I don't really feel anything towards Mario. Mario's good, but not nostalgic, for some reason. The only Mario song that makes me go "aww" is the credits theme for Mario 64.

Rayman might have been my first game ever, but Mario is what really got me into gaming. I spent a lot of time playing Mario 64. Yet when I watch people play Mario 64 on Twitch or Youtube, I don't get any warm fuzzies. It's just a nice game that I liked, nothing more than that...

I adore the original two Paper Mario games and Mario Kart games as well, but the Mario platformers are generally just kind of 'eh' to me. I'd say that Sunshine (the overtly difficult levels aside) and Odyssey are the most fun I've had with them. I have a soft spot for Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island as I played that a lot in my childhood. The rest of the Mario platformers are just kind of there IMO.

|My Collection|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2020, 08:11:16 PM »
Rugrats. I loved that show when I was a kid. Not now.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2020, 11:00:23 PM »
I used to looove David the gnome. It was like my favorite show. As an adult I tried to rewatch it and I’m speechless at how... boring? It is! Just so weird.

I also agree about the care bears show! I used to be obsessed with renting the three vhs my local video store had and I loved them so much! As an adult not so much. I will always love shrieky and beastly though.
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2020, 02:49:21 PM »
There are certain cartoons that I still kind of enjoy buy they feel pretty awkward compared to when I watched them as a kid, like Moomins, but one particular example is The New Adventures of Speed Racer. I really liked it as a kid because of the subplot taking place in the dystopian future, but now when I look back at it I realize how many problems it had typical of edgy boys' cartoons of that era. Filled with cringeworthy techno-babble, trying to be as serious as possible while maintaining the G rating (i.e. criminals would always do things like smuggling diamonds or designing new weapons, but no drug cartels or human trafficking), always bypassing the "no guns in kids shows" rule by giving everyone a futuristic energy weapons even when it made no sense (the high-tech protagonist team or characters from the future could get away with it, but even soldiers from a small rurithanian country in Europe had them!), or how every human driver would always conveniently jump out of their car right before it crashed, or writers failing at thinking four-dimensionally in the time-travel episodes (like the one there the future "invaded" the present (???) and the 90s architecture inexplicably morphed into futuristic one, wth), or the hamfisted environmental messages... Overall, I still like it and I still think it had its charm, but God, sometimes it hurts.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Rychu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2020, 05:14:50 AM »
There are certain cartoons that I still kind of enjoy buy they feel pretty awkward compared to when I watched them as a kid, like Moomins, but one particular example is The New Adventures of Speed Racer. I really liked it as a kid because of the subplot taking place in the dystopian future, but now when I look back at it I realize how many problems it had typical of edgy boys' cartoons of that era. Filled with cringeworthy techno-babble, trying to be as serious as possible while maintaining the G rating (i.e. criminals would always do things like smuggling diamonds or designing new weapons, but no drug cartels or human trafficking), always bypassing the "no guns in kids shows" rule by giving everyone a futuristic energy weapons even when it made no sense (the high-tech protagonist team or characters from the future could get away with it, but even soldiers from a small rurithanian country in Europe had them!), or how every human driver would always conveniently jump out of their car right before it crashed, or writers failing at thinking four-dimensionally in the time-travel episodes (like the one there the future "invaded" the present (???) and the 90s architecture inexplicably morphed into futuristic one, wth), or the hamfisted environmental messages... Overall, I still like it and I still think it had its charm, but God, sometimes it hurts.
I didnt grow up with speed racer but i had a friend who did and they showed me one of the episodes of the cartoon a few years ago and its great. Its a wonderfully "bad" show that has a lot of charm.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2020, 11:46:03 PM »
When I was a wee kid, I *loved* reruns of the Monkees tv show from the 60s/maybe early 70s. It was a half hour sitcom starring the Monkees band(the American Beatles-like band).  It came on late afternoons on weekdays after school for a year or two.  When I could no longer find it, I spent years trying to track it down again.  One day while I was in high school, I spotted it while flipping channels.

Ooooooooo.   It did not age well.  Not at all.  Woof. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2020, 06:59:08 AM »
Does anyone remember the Super Mario Brothers Super Show that had the live action segments and the animated Mario cartoons? I bought a DVD of some of the episodes and they were so boring to me as adult. I still love Mario games but the animated cartoons didn't hold up for me.

Ponyfan

Oh yeah! I bought those for Daughter Dearest and I to enjoy years ago. They're still fun for me at least.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal