collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anti-Nostalgia  (Read 15446 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Nostalgia
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2020, 07:52:57 AM »
Growing out of your favorite kids shows is hardly anti-nostalgia for me. Kids have different interests and especially different standards than adults.

writers failing at thinking four-dimensionally in the time-travel episodes

This is what I mean :lol: Broadly speaking, kids just don't notice or care about these things - unless they are already little science buffs.
So of course adult you can't feel the same joy anymore you felt as a kid when watching the anime - you have become too aware of the flaws :P

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2020, 06:05:29 PM »
As a kid, I really liked Garbage Pail Kids(like every other kid I knew).  I had the cards and quite a bit of merch, and I even spent many an afternoon with my friends making up new names.  I was the exact right age for them, and I had a decent collection at one time. 

I don’t like them at all anymore.  Not at all. There is a nostalgia resurgence of them right now - not interested.  I was recently at my parents’ house, going through the old stuff in the basement.  I keep everything, and I mean everything, and I have a miserable time letting go of anything.  The GPK cards were literally the only thing I was happy to get rid of.  I had a harder time letting go of my high school trig notes.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2020, 10:13:29 AM »
or the hamfisted environmental messages...

And immediately I think of Captain Planet.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »
or the hamfisted environmental messages...

And immediately I think of Captain Planet.

Now that I think of it, Largo Sludge did look awfully like a stereotypical Captain Planet villain.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline deermeat

• Fakie!
  • Out and about since 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
Definitely, yeah lol
Homestuck, Creepypastas, Spongebob, FanBoy and ChumChum, and Johnny Test are some.
  :blush:

I'm especially embarrassed by the Homestuck thing because I've never even read the actual comic!! I was 12-14 and would get all my info through animations, tributes, and fan-comic dubs on Youtube.
I did that with Warrior Cats too until I got ahold of the actual books, it's kinda crazy how accurate my tiny kid mind could collect all the info and still manage to know enough to make it seem like I read the actual thing.
I love cats!

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2020, 05:45:54 PM »
I'm especially embarrassed by the Homestuck thing because I've never even read the actual comic!! I was 12-14 and would get all my info through animations, tributes, and fan-comic dubs on Youtube.

Wasn't the homestuck fandom a lot like bronies back when both were at their prime, complete with "fans of the fandom" and all?
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2020, 10:52:59 AM »
There aren't any cartoons from my childhood that really hold up for me anymore. I also loved all of the early 90s era nicktoons/nickelodeon shows when I was a kid. I tried to watch some of them a few years back when they showed them again and they were so cringy and overdone. Even one of my old favorites Clarissa Explains it All. The acting was horrible and the stories just seemed dumb. Maybe it's because i watched it before i was in high school. even her clothes didn't hold up.

Also all of the old ABC sitcoms Full House, Step by Step, Family Matters. I don't like how they all had some fake moral crisis that was resolved in 20 minutes with a hug. Some of it just feels judgemental today. I also think learning how raunchy Bob Saget's standup is kind of killed the wholesome sitcom dad image.

I also agree that whole late 90s early 2000s era makes me cringe today. The music, the clothes. everything shiny and "futuristic". I still like the early/mid 90s "Clueless" look but things went downhill fast after that.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
Mostly I re-watch Ren and Stimpy and the Tick and wonder in fascination how on earth some of these "children's animated television shows" were EVER approved or considered appropriate for children.  Because they are still hysterically funny to adults today.  Well at least to me.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal