collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anti-Nostalgia  (Read 15449 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Anti-Nostalgia
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »
Oh, how about food and candy? I used to love Dots, you know, those pastel colored dots of sugar on paper. They were my absolute favorite as a kid. Now they're too sweet for me and the paper always comes off with them. Gross.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »
Oh, how about food and candy?

I used to like spinach and oatmeal/hot cereal but I don't like them as much as an adult, if it counts. :lookround: Spinach and oatmeal separately, not together! :lol:

I still like oatmeal in like, cookies and stuff, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are the best! But as a breakfast item, I don't like the texture...

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2020, 06:27:23 AM »
Oh, how about food and candy? I used to love Dots, you know, those pastel colored dots of sugar on paper. They were my absolute favorite as a kid. Now they're too sweet for me and the paper always comes off with them. Gross.

yessss. (not too sweet for me-- but the paper. nah uh)

Now and Laters. I don't mind the taste, but I'm horrified to put that them my mouth. Or Little Hugs (drinks), squeeze its, or that zebra fruit stripe bubble gum. OH! And anything little debbie snacks (I can tolerate half of it, and don't mind it, but then I'm over it).

And like, Surge, but since I can barely tolerate half a can of pop in general, I don't think I'd be able to drink that stuff... but I was obsessed with it. O_o Apparently you can buy it again? I'm so tempted to make a road trip now to test this theory...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:34:31 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2020, 10:35:16 AM »
Omg Surge. I too was obsessed. I even went to the rallies, lol. They did bring it back but I haven't seen it in my area. I probably wouldn't like it now.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »
Bubble gum. I chewed Wrigleys Juicy Fruit, various bbg balls and yipes stripes. Now I barely touch the stuff
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2020, 09:49:37 PM »
Oh, how about food and candy?
Oh, good one! Circus Peanuts candy, those orange, spongy, peanut-shaped candies that are always in those $1 candy bags. Loved them as a kid. Tried them as an adult and I couldn’t even swallow it. It was so gross compared to what I remembered. Peeps are another one even though I don’t hate them. I am just not as fond of them as I once was. That Stripes gum I remember not being that great and very short lived as far as the flavor lasting. Surge was a big deal when I was in elementary school even though I don’t remember it being that dissimilar from Mountain Dew? My husband bought a can to try again but I am pretty sure it’s still in the fridge and that he bought it last year or so. My brother’s traveling basketball team was sponsored by Surge so that was on their jerseys. 

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2020, 02:38:20 AM »
Oh, yes! These things!

They look like marshmallows, but they're not. They are hard and powdery. I was crazy about them as a child, but now I think they're disgusting. >_< They also give me a massive headache now!

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 05:20:15 AM »
I don't think food counts unless you get a bad feeling eating it, associating something negative with it. Bad taste is different because as we age our tastes can change naturally for no reason.

I have a nostalgic food that is a certain kind of red bonbon. I like the taste in general but I get a comfy feeling eating it because my grandma used to give them to me.
Anti-nostalgia food would probably be something you ate while you were having a bad time? Not something that you sort of grew out of. For instance, I hated gingerbread as a kid but now I love it. No reason, I just developped a taste for malt. I also love malt and root beer now.
As a kid I loved to eat Milka chocolate but now it gives me a throat ache because they use something I can't stand to sweeten it. Nothing out of the ordinary. Kids in general eat a lot of sweet stuff and avoid bitter.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 08:42:09 PM »
I have an anti-nostalgic feeling when I see 90s fashion trends (and maybe early 2000s? I'm not sure what to call it) making a comeback. It all reminds me of an awkward period in my life, lol. Mom jeans, scrunchies, sparkly eyeshadow, and midriffs everywhere. Maybe I'd be less bitter if I could pull these styles off better, heh.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2020, 03:51:33 AM »
I have an anti-nostalgic feeling when I see 90s fashion trends (and maybe early 2000s? I'm not sure what to call it) making a comeback. It all reminds me of an awkward period in my life, lol. Mom jeans, scrunchies, sparkly eyeshadow, and midriffs everywhere. Maybe I'd be less bitter if I could pull these styles off better, heh.

I'm just glad bell bottoms aren't back like they were in the 00s. Looking at old photos of myself in bell bottoms is like "why did I do that?!"
I looked like a time travelling hippie. I have little nostalgia for fashion for some reason, maybe because it tends to repeat itself. Some trends are ugly to me and others are not.

Right now I am happy we can get pants that cover part of the belly. These bell bottoms I used to wear were also low-rise so sitting down was a struggle. There were so many exposed buttcracks back in the day :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2020, 07:59:02 AM »
I don't know how many of you ever watched JEM but the Misfits (or at least the main one) is a legit homicidal maniac- they actually trap one of the Hologram gals in a volcano in one episode- before it explodes ???    Anyway...  now kids aren't even allowed to have bad guys as far as I can tell...  somewhere in between would be nice for the kids I think...

I missed this before, but I have to go back to it because it's not true. The Misfits have nothing to do with the volcano. It's entirely on Zipper, who is operating on Eric's orders, and only Eric's orders. The Misfits actively save Kimber from being murdered on stage in Morvania, so there's a very clear distinction to Misfits doing violent things for the sake of getting ahead and the Misfits actively intending to kill someone. The Misfits =/= Eric, Techrat, or Zipper.

In fact I think that Christy Marx said something back when about Zipper being replaced by Techrat because his actions were just too much for the audiences/parents. (Mind you same parents allegedly complained because Stormer wore fishnets, go figure).

By the same token of violent and dangerous actions, there's the moment Jerrica crashed Pizzazz's hangglider (attempted murder is justified revenge for graffiti?) and tried to crash her car in the Indy 500 using a mini hologram (attempted murder is justified to win a race?). Those are things that Jerrica did directly, yet people somehow think the Misfits are worse because someone connected to someone connected to them did something awful.

This is a pet bugbear of mine, because a lot of the things Jem/Jerrica does throughout the Jem series are not really morally superior to most of the things the Misfits do throughout the series either. They're human beings struggling against each other in a pretty catfight kind of a way, but because the audience are told Jem is the hero, people just ignore when she does literally dangerous, deceitful or evil things - which happens often.

I've always felt that I can understand where the Misfits stand in the equation, because they're cast as bad guys, thus their bad acts are explained, but occasionally their fight to show either vulnerability or a level of morality beyond their brief makes them relatable and human characters. Whereas Jem is meant to be the hero, yet her actions often cut corners to get ahead, and she doesn't act with what she preaches. I find her a hypocrite, thus I can't stand her. I like all the holograms, I just think Jem (and Jerrica, but mostly Jem) is disgusting.

While talking bad stuff, it should bring me to the Stingers, who were psychological villains on a completely different scale to the Misfits and frankly, IMO, that made them worse because their 'bad' was so much more subtle. That and the fact the second season of Jem opened up a lot more detail about the Misfits and aspects of their lives which made them more relateable (Pizzazz's mother, Jetta's homelife, Roxy's illiteracy, Stormer learning to stand up for herself, etc) whereas then the Stingers came in and trashed all of that with basic fraud and chauvenism (?!).

In any case, on the subject of Jem and the kind of stuff the show included, I think the prime example is the runaway train in the Rock & Roll Express episode. Earlier in the episode Raya stopped the train to let the Misfits on board, using the emergency cord. Yet when the train goes out of control, Rio - who has been left behind at the station...has this whole action sequence where he steals (!) a bike, races after the train, clambers dashingly and bravely onto the observation car, where the entire band of grown women are standing and gasps out heroically...

"Pull the emergency cord."

At which point one of them does.

So apparently even though one of them already did it earlier in the episode, these five grown women need a man to come tell them how to stop the train.

Cringe.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:02:48 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2020, 08:28:38 AM »
I'll be honest and say I never cared much for the Jem cartoon even as a kid.  I didn't hate it either and occasionally there would be a storyline I'd find interesting.  But the crazy helplessness was annoying.  If that many super dangerous "accidents" happened to me that regularly, I'd never go out again and certainly never go skiing, rafting or mountain climbing.  But, it was one of my sister's favorite cartoons so it was either take turns on shows or no TV at all.

I do feel nostalgia when I see it though and I remember it being a better show.

Another anti-nostalgia I have now is white chocolate.  It's sickeningly sweet to me now but back then I loved it until I tried it with ice cream.  It tasted like wax and was a bad experience.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:36:44 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
I tried watching Peewee Herman again a few years ago when it became available on Netflix and I was like 'ehh no' Loved it as a toddler/preschool age kid. Now I think I'm in the same boat my mom was in then. There aren't many shows I've outgrown but that is definitely one of them. I also used to love all the Peanuts specials. Also a few years back I finally admitted to myself that I'm just not a fan anymore. The Peanuts cartoons are just too dry and boring to me.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:57:13 AM by Koudoawaia »

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »
I don't know how many of you ever watched JEM but the Misfits (or at least the main one) is a legit homicidal maniac- they actually trap one of the Hologram gals in a volcano in one episode- before it explodes ???    Anyway...  now kids aren't even allowed to have bad guys as far as I can tell...  somewhere in between would be nice for the kids I think...

I missed this before, but I have to go back to it because it's not true. The Misfits have nothing to do with the volcano. It's entirely on Zipper, who is operating on Eric's orders, and only Eric's orders. The Misfits actively save Kimber from being murdered on stage in Morvania, so there's a very clear distinction to Misfits doing violent things for the sake of getting ahead and the Misfits actively intending to kill someone. The Misfits =/= Eric, Techrat, or Zipper.

In fact I think that Christy Marx said something back when about Zipper being replaced by Techrat because his actions were just too much for the audiences/parents. (Mind you same parents allegedly complained because Stormer wore fishnets, go figure).

By the same token of violent and dangerous actions, there's the moment Jerrica crashed Pizzazz's hangglider (attempted murder is justified revenge for graffiti?) and tried to crash her car in the Indy 500 using a mini hologram (attempted murder is justified to win a race?). Those are things that Jerrica did directly, yet people somehow think the Misfits are worse because someone connected to someone connected to them did something awful.

This is a pet bugbear of mine, because a lot of the things Jem/Jerrica does throughout the Jem series are not really morally superior to most of the things the Misfits do throughout the series either. They're human beings struggling against each other in a pretty catfight kind of a way, but because the audience are told Jem is the hero, people just ignore when she does literally dangerous, deceitful or evil things - which happens often.

I've always felt that I can understand where the Misfits stand in the equation, because they're cast as bad guys, thus their bad acts are explained, but occasionally their fight to show either vulnerability or a level of morality beyond their brief makes them relatable and human characters. Whereas Jem is meant to be the hero, yet her actions often cut corners to get ahead, and she doesn't act with what she preaches. I find her a hypocrite, thus I can't stand her. I like all the holograms, I just think Jem (and Jerrica, but mostly Jem) is disgusting.

While talking bad stuff, it should bring me to the Stingers, who were psychological villains on a completely different scale to the Misfits and frankly, IMO, that made them worse because their 'bad' was so much more subtle. That and the fact the second season of Jem opened up a lot more detail about the Misfits and aspects of their lives which made them more relateable (Pizzazz's mother, Jetta's homelife, Roxy's illiteracy, Stormer learning to stand up for herself, etc) whereas then the Stingers came in and trashed all of that with basic fraud and chauvenism (?!).

In any case, on the subject of Jem and the kind of stuff the show included, I think the prime example is the runaway train in the Rock & Roll Express episode. Earlier in the episode Raya stopped the train to let the Misfits on board, using the emergency cord. Yet when the train goes out of control, Rio - who has been left behind at the station...has this whole action sequence where he steals (!) a bike, races after the train, clambers dashingly and bravely onto the observation car, where the entire band of grown women are standing and gasps out heroically...

"Pull the emergency cord."

At which point one of them does.

So apparently even though one of them already did it earlier in the episode, these five grown women need a man to come tell them how to stop the train.

Cringe.

I actually DON'T put Jem in the "anti-nostalgia" category- I was just giving the example as an example of violent cartoons from the 1980s that would never happen today - I apologize for unfairly maligning the misfits  :biggrin:

I don't have the episodes memorized (and only a vague recollection of them anyway)-  but I am sure Pizazz did all kinds of crazy homicidal things.  Didn't she chase Jerrica around with a tractor? (Or maybe Jem) or try to run her off of a cliff ? Granted I have only a very vague idea of the episodes 40 years later and have only seen one or two since then so I will certainly admit I am not an expert and that Jem and the Holograms could have been just as reactionary and dangerous as the Misfits- I just don't recall!

It was still a show I liked and surprisingly- I watched an episode or two on Netflix a few years ago and the show is still very watchable   (although I still hated RIo as much as ever)

Anyway good for you for standing up for the Misfits-  I hope you know some more dolls are coming out? (Grossly overpriced yes but also fabulously gorgeous and incredibly detailed)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:45:42 PM by Galactica »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »

I don't have the episodes memorized (and only a vague recollection of them anyway)-  but I am sure Pizazz did all kinds of crazy homicidal things.  Didn't she chase Jerrica around with a tractor? (Or maybe Jem) or try to run her off of a cliff ?

I remember Roxy running a digger crazily around the future Starlight mansion.

I'm sorry, I went rather into default mode because I've seen so many people over the years try and use the volcano scene as a rationale to prove the Misfits are evil, when it's nothing to do with them (literally). At the same time they're pretending like it's fine that Jem's there crashing gliders, stealing from museums, and so on because she's the 'heroine'. It's hypocrisy and I just hate it.

You can't justify someone doing bad things just because they're the heroine and the show is named after her :P. As a kid I can see people might miss it, but there are so many things that should make an adult viewing feel uncomfortable vis a vis the overall morality of a heroine who is encouraging her boyfriend to two time her with herself.

On the subject of violence that would be censored now, maybe we should also be talking about Rio's anger management issues and the poor pot plant he assaulted. I also remember Stormer's brother Craig putting a microphone (?) cable around Eric's neck at one point.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 01:04:17 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal