collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Problem with Wind Whistler's hair  (Read 910 times)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Problem with Wind Whistler's hair
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:12:43 PM »
I was trying to finally do something with WW's messy forelock and then I realized that the parting between her forelock and the rest of her mane goes right through the sixth plug, i.e. half of it is shorter and goes in the front while the other half is longer and combed back, like this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is this normal? Or was it some sort of a factory error where they parted it and cut it in the wrong spot? If yes, how many plugs in the front are normally the forelock? If it's supposed to be six and not five then I was thinking maybe I could comb the entire sixth plug to the front and just cut the excess hair, but I'm kind of afraid about messing up another pony's hair, and I paid good money for her...
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Problem with Wind Whistler's hair
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 04:47:51 AM »
I think it's normal. Personally I would never cut, but I would try the following: Use a hairband to secure the long part of the mane to the neck. Boil the kettle. When boiled, wait 30s. Then dribble the hot water onto the forelock from above. The weight should make it fall forward into a desirable shape and when cooled it will stay there. If that doesn't work, try holding the hair at the base and pulling very gently in the direction you want the forelock hair to go so that it ever so slightly re-orientates it in the warm glue at the base. Do this while the hair and plastic are still hot from the kettle water. Only pour water over the forelock very briefly, you want it to keep it's 'bounce'.
Hope this helps.

Edit: see second post below
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:22:18 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 04:54:22 AM »
It is normal. By which I mean it occurs fairly often from the factory. Who knows what they intended.

Cutting it would render your mint pony flawed in an irreversible way.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 05:21:57 AM »
I agree with Taffeta. She look like she's in wonderful condition! In fact I'd try styling her hair with warm water first just in case it takes out the remaining pink colour from her forelock.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 07:52:23 AM »
Okay, so I decided I won't be cutting anything. I'll probably just go ahead and comb her entire sixth plug back and try to tuck the shorter strands behind her ear because that parting that goes right through the plug just triggers me too much. However, I don't think I wan't to pour hot water over her, do you think using a little bit of conditioner would be a better alternative?
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »
You'd want to heat set it somehow, if you wet the tips of your fingers to brush it back, and then heat the hair with a hair dryer I think it should do the same thing.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 07:16:20 PM »
Alright, after a lot of messing around with a comb, hot water and some coffee, I think I've finally brought her to a satisfying state, she still has a few wild hairs that I guess will require a second round, but so far I am very pleased with the results:

Work in progress
What she looked like with her hair still wet
Inka Dinka Doo

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 10:59:23 AM »
Nice job, she looks great  :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »
Sounds like a good job well done :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 06:12:34 PM »
Thanks! I am thinking about using a flat iron to correct the remaining minor flaws, do you think it would be safe for her hair or maybe I should stick to hot water?
Inka Dinka Doo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal