collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Life - Same set, differing hair quality/materials?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Poster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Beeeee fliiiiies!
    • View Profile
Pony Life - Same set, differing hair quality/materials?
« on: January 16, 2020, 04:38:14 PM »
So today at Target, I found the first wave of Pony Life singles. I brought home one of each.

I'd seen photos and read reviews that mentioned higher quality hair for these ponies compared to the vast majority of reboot g4 singles. Consequently, I was actually pretty excited for these girls! I think hair quality can really make or break a brushable pony--after all, what good is making them brushable when the hair is no fun to work with?

I opened Potion Nova first, because heck yeah new characters, and I was instantly impressed with the hair. It really does feel a lot like early-wave g4 hair! It's soft, it's smooth, it has a good weight and volume to it. It has quality.

But the same can't be said for all the ponies of this wave.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Potion Nova, Applejack, and Fluttershy all have the super nice hair, comparable in quality to early G4s. Incredibly silky.

The hair on these two reminds me a bit more of the hair you'd find on the some of the ponies in some of the nicer reboot sets, such as this Rarity from the JCPenney Friends and Foe set. It's a bit lighter than what the three previous Pony Life girls have got, a bit more unruly, more prone to bad box hair and loose strands. Still nicer than the hair in most of the more recent singles, though.

And then... there's Pinkie. Her hair, while still kind of shiny, is significantly drier than the hair in either of the above groups. The ends are pretty frizzy, and the tail crunches audibly when pinched. It's basically the exact same stuff we got on most of the reboot ponies.

It seems odd that they'd cut corners on part of the set when the rest has good-to-excellent quality hair. For those of you who've bought/received ponies from this set: have any of you encountered more consistent hair quality with these girls? Any silky Pinkie Pies? Any straw-haired Fluttershies?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:40:59 PM by Poster »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Life - Same set, differing hair quality/materials?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 05:22:49 PM »
Typical Hasbro.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 05:42:13 PM »
Interestingly, my ponies have the same hair quality as you describing! AJ, Potion Nova, and Flutters have the silky hair, Trixie and Twilight have the reboot hair. My pinkie pie's hair was more like the reboot style however and didn't have any frizz. I wonder why they opted to give them different hair types...

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »
I haven't taken their rubber bands out, but my Twilight seems to be okay... Pinkie is out of my reach but I think her hair is probably fine too.

I also have Fluttershy and Applejack, whose hair both feel alright. Twilight and Pinkie's are both curlier, but are by no means dry and knotty. Fluttershy's hair might feel a little dry...? But still not bad. I haven't been able to really feel their hair properly because I'm too afraid to let their rubber bands out! I did that to Applejack's hair and it stood straight up, just like the Retro Mane 6 ponies. I feel like that's the same hair that they used, at least from what I can tell.

Even so, my ponies at least don't seem bad, because trust me... I could tell IMMEDIATELY from the Friends of Equestria set how trash the hair was, even with the rubber bands in. :lookround: I still haven't taken Luna's ties out, and the one in Cadence's tail COULDN'T be taken out. It was completely tangled in the hair, I had to cut it out!

Offline Poster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Beeeee fliiiiies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 09:03:23 PM »
I haven't taken their rubber bands out, but my Twilight seems to be okay... Pinkie is out of my reach but I think her hair is probably fine too.

I also have Fluttershy and Applejack, whose hair both feel alright. Twilight and Pinkie's are both curlier, but are by no means dry and knotty. Fluttershy's hair might feel a little dry...? But still not bad. I haven't been able to really feel their hair properly because I'm too afraid to let their rubber bands out! I did that to Applejack's hair and it stood straight up, just like the Retro Mane 6 ponies. I feel like that's the same hair that they used, at least from what I can tell.

Even so, my ponies at least don't seem bad, because trust me... I could tell IMMEDIATELY from the Friends of Equestria set how trash the hair was, even with the rubber bands in. :lookround: I still haven't taken Luna's ties out, and the one in Cadence's tail COULDN'T be taken out. It was completely tangled in the hair, I had to cut it out!

My Pinkie Pie was much the same! Only difference was that it was her mane tie that had to be cut out rather than her tail tie.Oddly enough, though, Pinkie Pie looked just fine in the package--I was legitimately surprised when I got her out and felt that hair.

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »
I didn’t get all of them, but can confirm potion nova has the softest, silkiest hair i’ve felt in a looooong time on a toy

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 12:07:00 PM »
Could it have something to do with the color? Maybe they couldn't source the exact shade they wanted for Pinkie in the better hair?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »
Could it have something to do with the color? Maybe they couldn't source the exact shade they wanted for Pinkie in the better hair?

Maybe they should quit cheaping out.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 03:49:52 PM »
I also wonder if it has something to do with the color.  Or it could just be they couldn't afford the nice hair for all the ponies, and Pinkie Pie drew the short straw.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 04:22:57 PM »
I was thinking they may have had extra stock of Pinkie. Did anyone else notice that Trixie's hair is all blue? Maybe they just ordered a few colors and that determined the weird mix of ponies...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 06:01:19 PM »
I was thinking they may have had extra stock of Pinkie. Did anyone else notice that Trixie's hair is all blue? Maybe they just ordered a few colors and that determined the weird mix of ponies...

Cost cutting maybe?

I did notice Trixie had no white in her hair.  Shame.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 06:46:34 PM »

Cost cutting maybe?

Rarity's hair in recent releases has been simplified to just purple. It used to be two-toned but now it's just a single purple. :huh: The Retro Mane 6, the Friends of Equestria, and now Reveal the Magic/PL. VERY recent too, the tube Rarity and "On-the-Go" Rarity from last year both have the pinkish/wine strips in their hair.

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 11:10:11 PM »

Cost cutting maybe?

Unpopular opinion but...I actually like the single color in Trixie's mane.  :lookround:
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 08:56:10 AM »

I was just thinking it might be the same material for all of them but whatever chemicals they add to get that color might react with the plastic they make the hair from. I remember that there were some haircolors from the dollyhair site that felt differently despite all being the same material.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 09:11:49 AM »

I was just thinking it might be the same material for all of them but whatever chemicals they add to get that color might react with the plastic they make the hair from. I remember that there were some haircolors from the dollyhair site that felt differently despite all being the same material.

That could be as well?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal