collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which G1 ponies change color as they age?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
Which G1 ponies change color as they age?
« on: January 14, 2020, 04:49:04 PM »
I'm digging out some of my collection, and it looks like a couple of my ponies might have some discoloration since I packed them away, but I'm not super sure. Nothing is really extreme yet, so I wanted to ask - which G1s discolor/fade more often? Are there any guides on pony discoloration? Do certain colors change more easily?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Which G1 ponies change color as they age?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »
Gingerbread is prone to burning, if that counts. Party Time is prone to regrind coming through, as is Cloud Puff. I think people mention Tootsie and Buttons as discoloring, or maybe that's just batch issues.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »
Confetti and Starshine are also very prone to burning, and usually turn a tan/brown-ish color.
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »
Cloud puff
Starshine
Gingerbread
Cherry Treats
Ringlets
Someone here showed off a cola brown Twinkler. It was astonishing.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:17:23 PM »
This list isn't definitive, but here are some of the more common types of discoloration I've found, and the ponies that seem to have them the most(according to my personal experience):

Regrind:
Locket(usually in spots)
TE Party Time(I've never seen one without regrind.  Ever.)
Cloud Puff
Summer Wing Sky Dancer
Speedy(usually in spots, and not as commonly as other TEs)
Magic Message Cloud Dreamer(it's almost impossible to find without some regrind)
Rainbow Pinwheel

Overall browning/discoloring:
TE Gingerbread
Confetti
BnG Ringlets(usually turns some kind of graying/brownish purple)
Pretty much all Sparkle Ponies(there seem to be two kinds of Sparkle Ponies, and only one of them really tends to discolor)
Glow 'n Show Starglow
Sweetberry Cherry Treats(most extreme one, but some of the others of this set can discolor to a lesser degree at times)
Rainbow Starshine

Head discoloring(many ponies can get this problem, but here are a few that have it more commonly)
German Nightlight
TE Gingerbread
Sea Pony Whitecap(others from this line can have it too, but she's usually the worst)
TE Whizzer(I don't know if this is a normal thing, but I have the worst time finding a decent Whizzer)

Brown splotches(again many ponies can get these, but this list includes some of the ponies that are extremely rare to find WITHOUT this problem):
TAF Nightglider
TE Bright Eyes
TE Sweet Stuff
TE Quackers

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 02:58:34 AM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think moondancer might be prone to discolouration/browning?

Sugarberry isn't a fader, persay, but I believe she is very prone to burning in direct sunlight. Seems to be a common thing in white ponies?

Obviously it's not body fading/discolouration, but there's the infamous fading pink hair. It's a pretty long list of ponies that have fading pink hair/streaks, but you see a pony with white hair, there's like a 65% chance their hair was pink at some point

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 09:26:59 AM »
Honestly, every pony depending on environmental conditions can have a change in their body coloration/plastic condition...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 09:28:26 AM »
This list isn't definitive, but here are some of the more common types of discoloration I've found, and the ponies that seem to have them the most(according to my personal experience):

Pretty much all Sparkle Ponies(there seem to be two kinds of Sparkle Ponies, and only one of them really tends to discolor)

Really? This is the first I've heard of the Sparkles discoloring en masse. One of my Star Hoppers might be turning darker, but tbh its subtle enough I'm not sure. My Sky Rocket is less blue and more greenish, though, actually very close in color to the darker Star Hoppers. I gave it a wash just the other day since I suspected plasticizer leakage. Thankfully my other ones look fine.

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 09:55:31 AM »
I’ve seen examples of pretty much every Sparkle Pony in varying shades of browning/discoloring.   Some have it worse than others(Twinkler has the most problems), and not every pony turns, but all of them can do it.  However, there seems to be two separate batches of Sparkle ponies.  Some ponies are less translucent, more...milky.  These ponies tend to keep their color better than the more transparent versions.    I’ve even seen ponies where the head is the “milky” plastic and perfectly lovely, and the body is the more transparent kind of plastic and browning horribly. 

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 01:48:20 PM »
Honestly, every pony depending on environmental conditions can have a change in their body coloration/plastic condition...

Agreed.

I wanted to reply something similar, but I felt my wording would come off as sarcastic.  (All of them age!  ;) )

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 02:04:20 PM »

Regrind:
Locket(usually in spots)
TE Party Time(I've never seen one without regrind.  Ever.)
Cloud Puff
Summer Wing Sky Dancer
Speedy(usually in spots, and not as commonly as other TEs)
Magic Message Cloud Dreamer(it's almost impossible to find without some regrind)
Rainbow Pinwheel

TE Gingerbread
Confetti
BnG Ringlets(usually turns some kind of graying/brownish purple)
Glow 'n Show Starglow
Sweetberry Cherry Treats(most extreme one, but some of the others of this set can discolor to a lesser degree at times)
Rainbow Starshine

Head discoloring(many ponies can get this problem, but here are a few that have it more commonly)
German Nightlight
TE Gingerbread
Sea Pony Whitecap(others from this line can have it too, but she's usually the worst)
TE Whizzer(I don't know if this is a normal thing, but I have the worst time finding a decent Whizzer)

Brown splotches(again many ponies can get these, but this list includes some of the ponies that are extremely rare to find WITHOUT this problem):
TAF Nightglider
TE Bright Eyes
TE Sweet Stuff
TE Quackers
Night glider gets brown spots?

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 02:53:34 PM »
I have had dozens of ponies pass through my hands that get these light brown splotchy areas.  It’s like a stain, but I have seen it form on ponies that were previously in mint condition. My previously mint Sweet Stuff developed it at some point, and I’ve been unable to find a new one without those splotches.  It doesn’t photograph well since it’s usually so light. I don’t know if there’s an official name for it, or what causes it, but I see it all the time.  I’ve had 3 Nightgliders with it.  A large percentage of my childhood TEs developed it eventually.  I see it a lot on blue ponies, but it’s on a lot of other colors.  I’ve gotten ponies with it from sellers all over the world.  It doesn’t show up well in auction photos, so it’s hard to avoid.  It’s subtle. It’s lighter than usual age spots, but it might fall under that category. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal