collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A look at how G3 got started  (Read 796 times)

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
A look at how G3 got started
« on: January 29, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipND0nBjLoj95GOTtL50UOIqk2j0lPlR3SDojmA9jo4ABugUeBpwA3ng8miqCiZtcQ?key=aFBQand2ZXhpVGRibUVBZHI5dlZoaF9XaDRCY1F3
Someone on instagram posted pics of some book that revealed more on how G3 MLP got going and the cancelled G3 movie.  :biggrin:

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
Re: A look at how G3 got started
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 01:34:26 PM »
This is really interesting to me. I really liked seeing how it'd display in the stores, with just its own section? Man I wish I could go back in time and visit lol. Thanks for sharing!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »
This was fun to look through, thanks Rhaegar!

Seems like putting G3 (...and Super Soakers?? :blink:) films in cinemas was even a bigger deal than I'd initially thought. All the industry hype makes me wonder even more why the project just sort of fizzled out.

This official site concept is pretty cool. I wish the real website had had even half those features! :P (Although I do remember that awful "girly bedroom" image map interface was used for a bit.) I would've loved "deep bio files" and "behind the scenes" sketches. Interesting that they were still using the term "Rump Patterns" here -- this was so early in production that the term "cutie marks" hadn't been invented yet!

I thought this little tidbit was very interesting. It seems to imply that early in development the hoof hearts/magnets would somehow interact with something to reveal the pony's name? A prescient version of the G4 zap codes? Maybe that little extra heart would've done more than we thought. :P

I love Twinkle Twirl with a bath poof for a body. Truly glorious. The poofs we ended up getting don't even compare. Also, keen eyed observers will spot Minty with her prototype green hair on the cover of A Pony's Tale. :)

This is really interesting to me. I really liked seeing how it'd display in the stores, with just its own section? Man I wish I could go back in time and visit lol. Thanks for sharing!

Alas, you would have to go back in time and then into a parallel universe, because the G3s never got a big merch section all to themselves like that. ^^; Not in US stores anyway. I don't think Hasbro put out enough G3 swag to fill a display that size even if they'd had one.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 03:25:57 PM »

Seems like putting G3 (...and Super Soakers?? :blink:) films in cinemas was even a bigger deal than I'd initially thought. All the industry hype makes me wonder even more why the project just sort of fizzled out.
Their plan of 1200 movies at 8 weeks per movie was probably a factor. It's quite the ambitious plan.

Offline Rhaegar

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 03:33:57 PM »
Yep, those are mine.  :) Thanks for putting them up here, didn't get a chance to yet. The Super Soaker thing amuses me too, because I can't even begin to imagine how that movie would have gone. It says on one of the pages that the pony movie was going to be CG, so I'm kind of glad it didn't happen...

Hoping to scan more interesting stuff soon.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 03:53:29 PM »
ooooh, these are fascinating! I love stuff like this. Thanks for the scans, Rhaegar :)

The concept of the hoof hearts being a precursor to the G4 zapcodes is really interesting :O I wonder if that would've even been possible at that point, or if they were ahead of their time.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 10:24:04 PM »
This brought a smile to my face. I remember being confused and delighted when G3 started popping up. Such pretty lil ponies.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 06:38:13 AM »
This is very cool information! Thanks for sharing! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal