collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 questions  (Read 1200 times)

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
G4 questions
« on: January 11, 2020, 06:54:35 PM »
So I decided a few weeks ago that I do actually like a good handful of the g4 toys and have decided to start collecting those as well. Are there any issues they are prome to I should look out for? Or are they just not old enough for us to know that yet?

I’m especially concerned about the water-filled ones, as they are some of the ones I’m most interested in obtaining, but with Hasbro’s increasing lack of quality control, I am wary of spending money on them only for them to rust, mold, or break.

Any info/advice about g4 collecting would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Re: G4 questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 07:46:39 PM »
I had 3 of those water filled ponies. One of them started leaking and it was a mess. The other one is holding up okay though some of the water has evaporated. You can take their heads off to fill their bodies up. If you ever go to fill one up I recommend something like distilled water with a little bit of alcohol in it to prevent mold, and glycerin can be added to make the snowglobe effect.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:52:27 PM »
Not really old enough to know for sure yet, but here's some things of note:
-Head/body mismatch of some degree is very common, especially with ponies like Feathermay, early Twilight Sparkle, and some of the butterfly-winged ponies due to different plastics/batches being used. Don't worry about it too much.
-A lot of later year G4 and the movie/reboot G4 have abysmal hair. Look up DerpyDerp910, follow his de-frizzing tutorial for best results. I think ponies from the pearly series and beyond are prone to hair issues.
-I've not seen mold from the water cuties, but I have seen some confetti begin to break down, and someone had a Diamond Mint that they had in the sunlight who faded overtime.
-There are two different head molds. The earlier G4 head is thinner, with the later head having fatter cheeks and a more front-facing head. Not too important, but might be helpful for identification.
-I highly suggest you find a thrift store in your area that is a Savers or 2nd Avenue equivalent, that is, that they have a good toy section that is fairly cheap. Maybe Goodwill as well (I've never had much luck personally but eh!). I find a lot of G4 out and about, and thrift prices are great to start bulking up your collection. The earliest toys were released in 2010, so now is the prime time for kids to start aging out and getting rid of them. You are bound to find some G3 as well, but once you start looking for G4, you will have a much more successful time.
-Similarly, there isn't too much demand for eBay lots of G4, so I'd scout out on there if you have some in mind. Variants of the Mane 6 in particular aren't of much note to the pony-going public (much more G1 focus). Goodwill auctions may have a few gems, too, I found a G1 Whitecap mixed in with a lot of G4, and was able to get muffin pony from a lot for very cheap.
If you have a wishlist and are actively buying, I can take a look for some things for you. I have a lot of G4 so am bound to come across some doubles at some point.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 07:59:30 PM »
Head body mismatch

Crappy unmanageable hair

Greasy hair

Dry, frizzy hair

Poisonous chemical smell

Poorly misplaced eyes

Color bleed

The color on Water Cuties can fade to clear. Keep them out of the sun. Suncatcher/Stained Glass paints are good for restoring color.

Loose joints on the jointed ponies

Unpunched and misplaced tail holes

The G4 line is rife with issues.

Post Merge: January 11, 2020, 08:00:12 PM

I had 3 of those water filled ponies. One of them started leaking and it was a mess. The other one is holding up okay though some of the water has evaporated. You can take their heads off to fill their bodies up. If you ever go to fill one up I recommend something like distilled water with a little bit of alcohol in it to prevent mold, and glycerin can be added to make the snowglobe effect.

Thanks for the tip Starry.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:47:18 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 08:37:14 PM »
Head body mismatch

Crappy unmanageable hair

Greasy hair

Dry, frizzy hair

Poisonous chemical smell

Poorly misplaced eyes

Color bleed

The color on Water Cuties can fade to clear. Keep them out of the sun. Suncatcher/Stained Glass paints are good for restoring color.

Loose joints on the jointed ponies

The G4 line is rife with issues.

Unpunched and misplaced tail holes

Post Merge: January 11, 2020, 08:00:12 PM

Thanks for the tip Starry.
Sigh. G4 is a mess.
That being said g4 has good ponies and sets. It has a lot of appeal, but like LAW said there's flaws.

I personally wouldn't pay full price for them but you can find them at thrift stores easily enough. Also, keep them in the best of conditions possible.  I kept mine in my basement only a month or two and a lot of them did not fair well vs. my g1s. (Mind you, my basement is finished. It has a dehumidifier) So in a well airy room would be best (As for all ponies really)  Good luck with farther collecting though!!

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 09:08:48 PM »
@ tailrust i go to 2nd avenue sometimes, lst time i went i got a huuuge haul of g3/3.5 and g4 mcdonalds toys but no actual g4 :( ty for the advice on what to look out for!

@ starry oh no!

@ whisper ty for the advice!

@ casey haha it does seem like theres lots of issues! and i keep all my ponies in the house so they should be fine :0

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 07:18:22 AM »
I go at least once a week to my 2nd Ave, with thrifting stuff frequency is key. Unfortunately the McDonalds ponies run rampant!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 08:42:53 AM »
@ tailrust i go to 2nd avenue sometimes, lst time i went i got a huuuge haul of g3/3.5 and g4 mcdonalds toys but no actual g4 :( ty for the advice on what to look out for!

@ starry oh no!

@ whisper ty for the advice!

@ casey haha it does seem like theres lots of issues! and i keep all my ponies in the house so they should be fine :0

Swapmeets are good places to find and inspect them too.

I go at least once a week to my 2nd Ave, with thrifting stuff frequency is key. Unfortunately the McDonalds ponies run rampant!

*imagines tiny mcd ponies causing mayheim in thrift stores*

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 08:46:44 AM »
McDonalds Pinkie Pie: Let's sneak into a bag of G3 and harder to find G4...now they'll have to take us home!! MUAHAHA!!
McDonalds Twilight Sparkle: It's absolutely foolproof, brilliant, Pinkie!  :devious:

On the note of ending up with toys you don't want, I collect all the non-pony toys in a bag and just donate it to the local toy consignment. I would have loved to donate it back to the store, but my location doesn't actually take donations. Might be worth throwing stuff up on eBay or something, you never know.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 11:32:33 AM »
McDonalds Pinkie Pie: Let's sneak into a bag of G3 and harder to find G4...now they'll have to take us home!! MUAHAHA!!
McDonalds Twilight Sparkle: It's absolutely foolproof, brilliant, Pinkie!  :devious:

On the note of ending up with toys you don't want, I collect all the non-pony toys in a bag and just donate it to the local toy consignment. I would have loved to donate it back to the store, but my location doesn't actually take donations. Might be worth throwing stuff up on eBay or something, you never know.

:lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 05:10:11 PM »
A lot of mine come from second hand sales but most have held up okay. I mean they either had horrible hair to begin with or their hair is fine xD.

I have most of the water ones and no leaks as yet. I think I'm only down Cadence and Flower Wishes.

Diamond Mint is prone to head fading though. I haven't seen it on any of the others. Celestia is already clear xD. So is Rarity.

Mismatch is an issue.

Some are also unreasonably expensive still.

Good luck hunting :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 09:15:35 AM »
The head body mismatch right out of the package... ::facehoof::

If you decide you want to forgo thrifts and want to add to your collection I do have some extra G4's that aren't as common that could use a new home.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 05:19:08 PM »
@ mlp4me i would love to look at what you have available but the images in your thread seem to be broken :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal