collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Talk to me about slime  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Talk to me about slime
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »
Okay so I know I'm late to the party, but I just bought my first toy that came with slime and I just... oh god. I can't believe what I've been doing. It took me 45 minutes to get this toy put together!

So I bought some Crystal Creatures from Mega Construx. It's a cute toy, it's a fantasy creature that comes in an egg and it's about 15 pieces that you snap together to build it. BUT ALL 15 PIECES ARE IN A PUDDLE OF SLIME WHY.

Has anyone else had to deal with slime in kids toys? I imagine yes, because it's such a popular thing with kids toy today. What is the appeal here? I found it extremely aggravating to deal with!

So first I opened the egg and took out this big pouch, and cut it open. Inside was 15 plastic pieces floating around in this silvery slime. I was worried because I was like "Well this is gross, how am I going to get them out and dry them off?" So I grabbed a couple napkins and sat down at a table and pulled out the pieces one at a time.

At least the slime kinda seems to stick to itself, so that made it a little easier for clean up. The toy pieces weren't WET, per sey, and the slime kinda peeled off the plastic as I pulled it out of the pouch. The problem was that it got stuck in the little nooks and crannies of the toy pieces and I had to dig out the slime with a paperclip. Ugh. Hassle.

The slime stuck to my hands a lot, but I was able to get most of it off by trying to dab at my hands with a bigger chunk of slime, and the little pieces stuck to it. I collected the slime on the napkins and then threw it away because I'm sure as hell not going to keep it to play with. :P

Then of course I realized I was missing a tiny claw piece of the creature, so I looked everywhere, panicking, then went back to the trash and pulled out the slime napkin and of course I found the claw that had been stuck in the slime and I missed it. :P

So it took me like 45 minutes to get all these pieces out of the slime, and then assembled the creature. Is THAT the point of slime in kids toys? Making the kids enjoy the toy by making it take almost an hour to put it together? I really don't see the appeal.

What are your thoughts on slime? Have you had to deal with it a lot? Are there a lot of toys like this with the pieces swimming in slime and you have to clean them up before you get your toy? Do you have any cleaning suggestions, because I definitely got it on my jeans and I hope it washes out. :P

Finished product:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:30:30 AM by Dragonflitter »
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Talk to me about slime
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
I think the slime should wash out.  As you know, I dealt with the same toy.  I put my parts in a sieve so I could rinse that slime off.  It seems to dissolve in warm water.

I *love* the Mega construx Crystal Creatures, but I hate the slime.  I will be collecting these toys, as they are lovely and well made.  I just wish the company didn't feel the need for the slime gimmick.   The toys are wonderful on their own and frankly don't need the slime aspect.

I feel like slime appeals to younger kids. But these toys, in my opinion, could be for a slightly older age group.   As an adult, I haven't seen such a nice toy line in quite some time.  I am usually disappointed by the toys available these days.  I just think it's sad that these were put into the slime toy category.   They are so much more!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:32:34 AM »
A sieve! That's genius! :D I'll do that for the rest of them!

They are really well made. I like the articulation of the neck and head, so you can make them look in different directions. And they designed all the characters with holes in the same places, so you can trade their armor and other accessories with each other. :)

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:36:06 AM »
Ha ha, thanks!

Just make sure the holes are tiny, so you don't lose the small parts!

I like swapping the parts too.  I did that with the Kirin and darker deer.

(Your picture makes me consider getting AquaGem!)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 01:09:07 PM »
Kids toys are getting messier to open, apparently it's a big appeal to them now to have to make a big mess to clean them up.
I tend to stay away from slime toys, but I did buy a Poopsie Sparkly Critter after becoming infatuated with them for a few days. The slime was luckily INSIDE the toy rather than surrounding it. I think the Poopsie slime is some of the worst slime, it's not fluffy and pillowy. Not a huge mess but it never came with a cup for mixing/holding the slime while it sets. 

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 04:09:46 PM »
Over Christmas I worked nights at toys r us stocking girls toys, but I got a good look at all the toys in general. There is a lot of slime based toys. And I supervise children at lunch-they like slime. My younger sister has been banned from having slime in the house due to the mess it makes.
I personally dislike slime with a bit of a passion. It just is gross to me.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 04:21:05 PM »
Slime was big in the 80s too. I had some slime based playsets as a kid.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 07:03:41 PM »
Slime was big in the 80s too. I had some slime based playsets as a kid.

I didn't know this! I wonder if it's the same, or almost the same, formula they've been using since then.

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 11:10:27 PM »
I love slime, I used to run one of those slime instagrams in their hayday haha. But the slime they sell in stores (with a few exceptions), especially in toys like these, is completely different. Store slime is super gross imo, and not even that stretchy before it tears. Also smells gross most of the time.

I am however now intrigued by these Crystal Creatures, might go look for one. They even come with a stand like how cool is that? How much do they go for usually?

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 01:27:45 AM »
I have never liked slime, Playdoh or anything squidgy, not even when I was a kid. Luckily I haven't seen any slime-packaged toys that I want. I did buy a couple of Lost Kitties that came with Playdoh. Not my idea of fun! It took ages to wash it off their little accessories.

I think a lot of kids like slime/messy icky stuff in general. I wish they packaged the slime separately from the toy, like in a little bag or something. Then you could choose if you wanted it or not.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 03:47:04 AM »
I dont 100% get the slime and toys thing either. I can see why slime would be fun on its own, but does it have to come with every single toy?

I did buy a Poopsie Surprise out of morbid curiosity a few weeks ago, and frankly the slime that came with it wasnt even nice. It was kinda crunchy and it had little glitter stars that frankly kinda hurt. They almost seemed sharp. It didnt seem super safe for kids imo. I will say the quality of the toys in them are nice though, even if theyre a little weird! The eyes are especially gorgeous, I definitely think I would have been into those as a kid.

The Crystal Creatures you guys are posting look really appealing too. I dont like the the different parts are hidden IN the slime though. It seems like it would be so easy to throw out a part if youre not careful!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 05:29:12 AM »
For those asking, the Crystal Creatures are about $10 each.

I know slime was popular in the 80s.  The brand I remember was called Gak.  It was it's own thing though.   It just seems like there are a lot of toys now that involve the slime gimmick.   I had play doh, Gak, and silly putty.  They were fun, to me, when I was a child.  But even the Gak wasn't sticky.  I don't know,  I know there are now different slime textures.   The stuff the Crystal Creatures are packed in is gooey and sticky.   I actually "affectionately" dubbed it booger slime.  It's gross.  It is easy to lose parts.  You really have to take your time and carefully feel around to make sure you find them all.

Slime can be fun, but I do wish these companies wouldn't pack the toys in the slime.  Make the slime a separate package at least!  It's like if you got a small Lego set in slime.  As I said, the toy line is good on its own.   It's not based around using the slime.  The slime in this case is just something that slows down the enjoyment.   Only my opinion of course!  But the Poopsie toys are based on using the slime in some way.  I just find it odd packing a nice, not slime related toy, in slime just for the sake of using slime.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »
I'm sick to death of the slime, etc, trend. @__@; Oh god, especially Lost Kitties. Those were cute, but having to dig through Play-doh for ages before you can get to the actual toy completely put me off them. I agree with you guys; if slime HAS to be included, package it seperately!! Don't force us to mess about with it if we don't want to! ;)

Personally I can't stand sticky, slimy stuff like that. X_X Ugh, it's making my hands crawl just thinking about it.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 01:58:49 PM »
I don't like slime toys or anything slime related. I don't understand why so many kids enjoy playing with it now. I do think that part of it is supposed to make the toy last longer by making someone dig through slime, playdough  etc..

I almost got in to Lost Kitties but then I heard that the playdough they were packed in wasn't very good (couldn't really be played with after digging out the kitty) I hate the mess that playdough makes but I'd take playdough over slime.

I'm really intrigued by these Crystal Creatures though so I might make an exception  about slime toys in this case.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »
Ooh she reminds me of a FSF! I say give her a good bath.

The seive idea is genius Wyst.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:13:09 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal