collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Operation Re-Do! Let's Re-Write Stories!  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Operation Re-Do! Let's Re-Write Stories!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 06:24:12 AM »
The subject has come up before - specifically in regards to EQG - but Pinkie Pie never does have to do anything/change/explain and everyone else has to adjust to her/is made to look/feel like they didn't understand her when actually she's been a nuisance. Perhaps because she's meant to be funny (she's never once done anything I've laughed at, so I guess I don't see that side of her), but she gets away with everything and never learns any of the lessons the others have drummed into them.

Thinking specifically of I think the last groundhog dayesque EQG special where Sunset suffered for Pinkie's ineptitude but ended up being made out as the bad guy while Pinkie never apologised or even seemed to understand she'd screwed up everything. The message was garbled because Pinkie has some kind of moral immunity in contrast to the other characters.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 06:46:45 AM »
The subject has come up before - specifically in regards to EQG - but Pinkie Pie never does have to do anything/change/explain and everyone else has to adjust to her/is made to look/feel like they didn't understand her when actually she's been a nuisance. Perhaps because she's meant to be funny (she's never once done anything I've laughed at, so I guess I don't see that side of her), but she gets away with everything and never learns any of the lessons the others have drummed into them.

Thinking specifically of I think the last groundhog dayesque EQG special where Sunset suffered for Pinkie's ineptitude but ended up being made out as the bad guy while Pinkie never apologised or even seemed to understand she'd screwed up everything. The message was garbled because Pinkie has some kind of moral immunity in contrast to the other characters.

I believe Pinkie was the writers fave and since she was also so heavily featured on the merch she must have been a Hasbro fave as well. I think Pinkie adjusted her behaviour the most when it came to Maude. That's where the writers made her learn lessons (she quickly forgot but it was a good effort, lol).
Maybe because Maude is even quirkier than Pinkie the writers were challenged :lol:

I really like the episodes with Pinkie trying to make Maude
-live in Ponyville
-befriend the M6
in both of these episodes Pinkie has to learn that Maude doesn't give a crap.

I wouldn't have forced her into random friendships with random characters either - the show should have focused on her rebuilding her friendship with Sunburst in my opinion.

I don't know if you count Starlight/Trixie and Starlight/Maude as "forced" but personally I thought they introduced these friendships very well. Starlight was way more understanding of these outsider characters than the M6 would ever be. The M6 straight up rejected Maude because she wasn't like them. Only Rarity came around later on, which also was introduced very naturally. Rarity is the one who likes gems, so d'uh :lol:

The episode where Starlight and Trixie meet was all about forced friendships. She doesn't click with the Ponyvillers and bonds with Trixie over shared opinions.

I think they spent too much time on Starlight trying to be Twilight's student and doing Twilight stuff. It was a way to keep everything centered on Twilight and the M6 (who never seemed to really embrace Starlight). Only more reason to hope G5 is not as core cast crazy.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 07:38:28 AM »
Pinkie may have been shown on merchandise, because she sounds like the kind of character you'd think of for a little girl's toyline, from a merchandise perspective - a pink pony.

And yeah,  not telling ponies what she's doing and expecting them to get it is basically her character (to be honest, they could have done an episode addressing that.)  There's an otherwise throwaway moment in "Green is Not Your Color" that shows that this is basically a Pinkie thing.

I need to watch the Maude/Starlight episode, but I found her friendship with Trixie forced, as the episode forced Trixie into suddenly being an actual villain, when she was never one, so the whole episode seemed like a big continuity error to me.  They even acknowledge that the one time she was a villain was when she wasn't even in control of her actions, and then ignore it.

To be honest, I mostly meant that could have concentrated on rebuilding her friendship with Sunburst, since they made it out to be such a big deal, rather than filling her screen time with making new friends - she's allowed new friends, of course, but they could have balanced it with Sunburst, in my opinion.

Respect to those who was alright with what they did.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
I need to watch the Maude/Starlight episode, but I found her friendship with Trixie forced, as the episode forced Trixie into suddenly being an actual villain, when she was never one, so the whole episode seemed like a big continuity error to me.  They even acknowledge that the one time she was a villain was when she wasn't even in control of her actions, and then ignore it.

Maybe watch that ep again because how did they "force" her to be a villain? Twilight doesn't trust Trixie and three ponies judge her because two times she came to Ponyville she wrecked havoc, that doesn't make her a villain.

In the end Twilight also apologizes and admits she was wrong to misrust them. The entire ep is about how Twilight wants to have a "presentable" first friend for Starlight that she can show off to Celestia and Trixie ends up taunting Twilight for not actually giving her a second chance.
Trixie and Twilight suck Starlight into their petty squabble, it is almost spelled out word for word during the episode that they are both wrong in how they treated each other and Starlight *shrug*

I think this episode was one of the better ones where friendship wasn't immediatly achieved and Twilight was admitting to her flaws.
I also liked the massive act of trust in the end by Trixie still performing her dangerous act and hoping Starlight would not give up on her.

Might not be your taste but Trixie is def not the villain of the episode, Twilight is way more unlikeable. Girl invited the Cranky donkey, Muffin and DJ to a dinner with Celestia just to not have Trixie there. How low can someone sink? :lol:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 03:44:29 PM »
I would change almost everything related to Daring Do. I don't mind Daring Do being a real pony but I don't think all the adventures and enemies should have been real too. It's one of the few MLP episodes that I actually stopped watching in the middle.

Also the episode with Pinkie and Cranky. I think I only saw part of the one once but it seemed like it was implying "just keep bothering people until they become your friend"?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 04:33:25 PM »
Might not be your taste but Trixie is def not the villain of the episode, Twilight is way more unlikeable. Girl invited the Cranky donkey, Muffin and DJ to a dinner with Celestia just to not have Trixie there. How low can someone sink? :lol:

Celestia did NOT look impressed at that tea party  :lol:

I'm surprised there wasn't an episode more explicitly focused on Twilight's role as Princess and her friends perhaps exploiting it. It was touched on in Trade Ya and the ep with Sassy Saddles, but not explicit.

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
I would change almost everything related to Daring Do. I don't mind Daring Do being a real pony but I don't think all the adventures and enemies should have been real too. It's one of the few MLP episodes that I actually stopped watching in the middle.
Yes, absolutely, I think Daring Do would be better off as just a character even. Maybe there could have been episodes where Rainbow Dash meets the author expecting an adventurer just like Daring, but is disappointed to find it's an elderly pegasus who isn't up for the same adventuring that RD is. Maybe something happens near the end and RD finds that she is still awesome, just in her own way? Something like that. The Daring Do episodes never really taught anything and were (and still are) a bit of a controversial thing among some Bronies (if I'm remembering correctly). I don't know why they went that route, or why they kept bringing her back. Not sure what the kids on IG thought.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 11:41:21 AM »

Maybe watch that ep again because how did they "force" her to be a villain? Twilight doesn't trust Trixie and three ponies judge her because two times she came to Ponyville she wrecked havoc, that doesn't make her a villain.

In the end Twilight also apologizes and admits she was wrong to misrust them. The entire ep is about how Twilight wants to have a "presentable" first friend for Starlight that she can show off to Celestia and Trixie ends up taunting Twilight for not actually giving her a second chance.
Trixie and Twilight suck Starlight into their petty squabble, it is almost spelled out word for word during the episode that they are both wrong in how they treated each other and Starlight *shrug*

I think this episode was one of the better ones where friendship wasn't immediatly achieved and Twilight was admitting to her flaws.
I also liked the massive act of trust in the end by Trixie still performing her dangerous act and hoping Starlight would not give up on her.

Sorry I'm late, but I mean that the episode wants us to believe that Trixie was a villain in her earlier episodes (either that or it just didn't make sense to me that Twilight was treating her like she was one - so yeah, in that case it is Twilight who looks bad.)

Even without the "hecklers vs. performer" argument  (nothing you mentioned, just a complaint about "Boast Busters" I agree with) Trixie an antagonist at worst, not a villain - she was a show off who got caught in a lie.  Her second appearance she was technically a villain, but one who couldn't control her actions, so still not a villain, but I felt like the episode ignored all that (other than a quick "Oh, I had this evil amulet once..." type dialogue.)

I'm going to have to rewatch this episode at some point anyway, so it may turn out that it was just Twilight treating her like a villain, rather than the show acting like she was one.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal