collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need help with fixing awful frizzy G3 hair  (Read 758 times)

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
Need help with fixing awful frizzy G3 hair
« on: December 30, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »
I finally had some good luck and found another G3 pony at a flea market!! (bonus: I also found a G1 Thermos with Megan and Sundance!)

Unfortunately she is very dirty and her hair is in pretty bad condition (she even had one of those little toy spikey balls stuck in her hair lol!)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I really want to fix her up but I've never dealt with hair this bad :<
What would be the best approach, is there even any hope to get her hair looking better?
I don't expect her to ever look brand new but in her state shes kind of sad to display  :sad:

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with fixing awful frizzy G3 hair
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »
Congrats on your finds! I have had success in G-3’s when I lather their hair with conditioner, leave it in for a few minutes, and then wash it out. Sometimes if it is really bad even after this, I will put my flat iron on its lowest setting and straighten out the frizz. Hope this helps!

Offline Shaymin568

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 02:48:52 PM »
Yep, put the hair straightener on the lowest heat setting, section out parts of the hair, and flat iron them until they are at the best condition.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
That hair looks salvageable to me! I would brush it out as much as you can with the conditioner in, and then re-apply for straightening. I also find fabric softener works well on the hair, but I wouldn't use it while heating the hair.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
I think her hair will come out just fine—I’ve had a lot of experience tidying up G3s. :) With a bit of re-curling, she may even look new again.

You could use an iron meant for clothing—that’s what I do. They usually have a lot of heat settings vs. most straightening irons meant for hair. I take a sheet of baking parchment and lay it out on the ironing board. Then I soak the pony’s mane and tail (working in some conditioner), comb it out, and spread the hair out on the parchment. Then, using the lowest setting possible, I run the iron over the hair very quickly, so that it steams up (my clothing iron doubles as a steaming iron, so that may be important to have before working with water). In between “strokes”, I comb the mane/tail again with a metal flea comb. You may need to flip the pony over and repeat on the other side of the mane/tail. This works INCREDIBLY on nylon hair! I’ve even used this method to fix ponies whose hair was a solid, matted mass—and managed to make them display-worthy again!

(Also, I highly recommend buying a flea comb to any pony or doll collectors. They help so much with styling, detangling, and straightening!)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:34:05 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 08:34:45 AM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll definitely have to make a trip to the store for spa supplies :P
when I get her fixed up I'll post pics!

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
I had a G3 valenshy with hair that bad. The conditioner/flat iron treatment barely helped. Still not smooth all the way, though I've yet to try fabric softener though
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal