collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is having an army of ponies selfish? let's discuss  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
Re: Is having an army of ponies selfish? let's discuss
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2019, 05:23:13 AM »
I don't think it's selfish to have a pony army - actually I have pony armies in my own collection and they make me happy. I like to see other collectors pony armies too  :lovey: If you can afford it and it makes you happy and it's not hurting someone else then why not?  :relaxed:
The only times it could become a bit selfish is if someone goes to the shop and buys up the whole lot of one new HTF pony -not because they like armies but just to brag or sell on for profit, or they buy multiples of certain rare older ponies not because they actually like them but just to deliberately try and make others jealous.
 Otherwise I see no problem with armies at all. Some people have specific character armies that aren't all multiples but one of each variant of that character especially when it comes to the more HTF ones, but most pony armies are of common ponies . Other people have a fave pose army (so for example I have a G1 fave pose army - the BnG Ringlets pose - usually called the Gingerbread pose. Not everyone likes it but it's my fave. Most of my ponies in that army are common but some are more rare -but I only have one of the rarer ones in my fave pose army- so for example one Spanish gingerbread, one Brazil Twist- and then I have multiple common ponies ) :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
To me, it depends on a pony.  Army of Peachy . . . This pony is so plentiful that there will still be plenty on the market.  Army of G2 Nosy & Click, who were ONLY released with the French G2 comic and are very rare . . . Yeah, IMO that would be selfish.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Shadowperla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2019, 11:13:21 AM »
If rare, yes.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
Hmm... Well, I only army common ponies myself—and usually it’s not a deliberate thing, but a matter of gathering them from lots and thrift sales. I would say that intent is the deciding factor in whether or not armying is “selfish”...

Selfish: Haha! Only three of this rare, nirvana variant have ever been documented! And now I OWN THEM ALL! Everyone must be sooooo jealous!

Not selfish: I love Princess Sundance! She’s always been one of my faves, and I’d love to just look at a shelf full of Princess Sundances! <3

At the end of the day, everyone can do what they want, of course. I would never look down on/be angry with someone over plastic ponies. But for those questioning whether they’re acting selfishly or not, I think attitude and motive are a big part of it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:59:21 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2019, 08:08:38 AM »
Someone has a gorgeous Moonstone army on here.

I think Teddy's Gusty army is fab.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »
I guess for me it depends on what is considered an army (I mean, I have six or seven Medleys but they're all different versions, is that an army?). Also the rarity of the pony (though I also agree that if people want to spend silly money on twenty Mimics well that's their business...)

For me the most important thing is do no harm. So having a hoarde of a particular pony, whether rare or otherwise, is not a big issue for me since the bald fact of pony collecting is collectors sell things more often than they expect to. I've seen people sell army ponies as much as I've seen people sell whole collections, including, fairly often, people who five years before were swearing blind it didn't matter because they were never going to sell. If having an army of ten Mimics means those ten Mimics are kept in good shape and then when they are sold on ten people get Mimic, then I'm fine with it.

I have more issue with spiteful hoarding or collecting, whereby something is permanently removed from the community because there's no going back then. So rehairing a rare pony just to add a different look to an army, that I would have a problem with. But having twenty of them? Not so much.

The reality is also that every sale on ebay goes to the highest bidder.  Not every time is an auction won by someone who wants the item most in the whole world. It's the person with the most money. Unfairness is rife in collecting. I long since accepted that I won't get baby sugarcake because I can't pay the same amount of money other people can. But I don't resent other people for having her because of that. However, if someone posted photos or a video of cutting off her hair to give her a funky reroot, I would be an angry person.

So for me it's do no harm that matters most.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 02:09:59 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »
On the odd occasion, and for a fair price, I will rescue certain ponies that I have a soft spot for, especially those being Gusty, Gypsy and of course, Honeycomb.  ;)

As a result, I have (small) armies of each, but they bring me joy and a sense of satisfaction when I spend time scrubbing out the smooze, disguising marker pen stains, styling their hair etc.

I agree that the scalpers can ruin the fun for those who genuinely want a certain "rare" pony for their collection as it becomes about greed and money, alas, so I am heartened by the new retro pony releases that help scratch that G1 itch - and are (gradually becoming) more available and affordable to everyone.

*taps foot waiting impatiently for Basic Fun retro Gusty release*  :P

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2019, 04:37:28 PM »
*taps foot waiting impatiently for Basic Fun retro Gusty release*  :P

You and me both! Honestly, I love that Basic Fun is making retro ponies accessible for kids and “casual” collectors.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2019, 11:24:54 PM »
To me, it depends on a pony.  Army of Peachy . . . This pony is so plentiful that there will still be plenty on the market.  Army of G2 Nosy & Click, who were ONLY released with the French G2 comic and are very rare . . . Yeah, IMO that would be selfish.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is basically how I feel about it. I wouldn't be like, mad or treat someone poorly over it of course. As long as its a legitimate army and not like, spite collecting I'd just shake my head and move on.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2019, 06:45:12 PM »
Kind of on the fence I guess as well as others.

I mean, sure it is a bit, but it's not morally wrong, you can spend whatever money on whatever you want and buy what you please, and collecting in general is a little selfish. (Some people even claim we are "taking toys from children!" LOL.)

But also it depends on the pony, too, I guess? As others have said if it's one where there are SO few that it's crazy, that's a bit moreso selfish. But still within their right to do so.

I feel like it's a very grey area, but still never morally wrong. I'd never judge someone for it. Maybe be a little jealous. Lol! :P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 06:58:37 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2020, 04:22:22 AM »
Kind of on the fence I guess as well as others.

I mean, sure it is a bit, but it's not morally wrong, you can spend whatever money on whatever you want and buy what you please, and collecting in general is a little selfish. (Some people even claim we are "taking toys from children!" LOL.)

I think that now the world has decided in some general moral assumption that all old toys are bad for kids, we're probably safer hoarding the older ones without that kind of criticism.

I've seen two or three articles about not buying older toys for kids. Which given some of the tests for some of them I can understand...although we turned out all right O.O
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2020, 06:01:21 AM »
Eh. Finders keepers.

I'd be envious (not jealous, as that implies being angry at them in an unhealthy way) of someone finding all of my grails, but it's human nature to pine for more. It could be labeled as being "selfish" but it should not be held against them for finding what I did not, and being able to afford all of them somehow is a horse of a different color on its own.

On the flip side, isn't it selfish to expect others to share their army?

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2020, 07:25:24 AM »
I usually dont consider it an army if it is the same pony but different versions.  I have a Lemon Drop collection (and a few others I have different versions of) but they are all different. And I dont mean it in like they have small different shades on their symbols, but different hoof markings, different land of making, or a real color difference. I dont really see the point in having an army of the complete same pony if they are all the same version, but if it makes anyone happy then go ahead.

I'm not bothered if someone has an army of common ponies, but if it is rare, and I dont mean like "mimic rare" but as for ponies with only a handful known in existence I guess I would think that they should share the goodness, but I wouldnt talk down to someone because of it. I would probably just tell them how envious I would be of them :P

And of course I get envious if someone have multiples of something I want, but that is on me, spending more time looking at others collections, then I spend enjoying what I already have. The downside of having the collection stored away in boxes. :/
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2020, 02:11:38 PM »
I usually dont consider it an army if it is the same pony but different versions.

Same here.  To me "army of [character]" implies collecting a huge number of identical ponies.  Like to me "Italian Applejack, shy pose Applejack, collector pose Applejack, and Baby Applejack" is a collection of Applejacks, not an army.  If someone has 20 identical Applejacks, same appearance, same year of manufacture, same country of origin, that's an army.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »
This makes me wonder whether there is someone out there with a Cha Cha army just keeping them all hidden away from me?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal